• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hopkins and Allen .45 underhammer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ordered an H&A .45 underhammer around 55 years ago and still have it. That super accurate rifle has taken deer, bobcat and squirrel. It also made my farthest .45 deer kill at 75 yards. They do have a half cock notch and I never had a problem with caps falling off. Mine is now retired but has been fired a LOT, and the bore is still pristine. Jump on this deal while you can, you won't be disappointed with it.....and it IS a deal.
Don't worry about the 20" barrel, I've killed quite a few deer with a shorty. Mine came with a .435" mold but later I found I could also use a .440" ball with a thinner patch. I loaded 60 or 65 grains of 3F and that's all it took. Too much powder will cause hammer blow-back. You'll do best if you wear a long sleeve shirt as insurance when shooting it.
DSC00456.jpg

PICT0387-1.jpg

Not quite. None of the GM barrels with breechplugs will attach to the H&A action. What you want is the .54 or .58 barrel without a breechplug, but with 5/8 x 18 threads for a breechplug. Then use a 5/8 x 18 bolt from a hardware store to fabricate a breech plug for the H&A. You will also need to drill and tap for the nipple after the breechplug is installed and the barrel fitted to the action. You want to have the barrel installed so as to locate the proper spot for the nipple.

As an alternative, have that extra 31" barrel re-bored to a larger caliber by Bobby Hoyte.
So if I were to buy a 5/8×18 breechplug for the underhammer like New Old Stock and put that into the barrel that would also work right ?

I ordered an H&A .45 underhammer around 55 years ago and still have it. That super accurate rifle has taken deer, bobcat and squirrel. It also made my farthest .45 deer kill at 75 yards. They do have a half cock notch and I never had a problem with caps falling off. Mine is now retired but has been fired a LOT, and the bore is still pristine. Jump on this deal while you can, you won't be disappointed with it.....and it IS a deal.
Don't worry about the 20" barrel, I've killed quite a few deer with a shorty. Mine came with a .435" mold but later I found I could also use a .440" ball with a thinner patch. I loaded 60 or 65 grains of 3F and that's all it took. Too much powder will cause hammer blow-back. You'll do best if you wear a long sleeve shirt as insurance when shooting it.
DSC00456.jpg

PICT0387-1.jpg
Is FF powder a good idea to use in this rifle ? I only ask because I have a lot of it that I use to feed my Bess Musket and Bess Carbine.

I've had two of these, still have one - both long barrel .45's - one a "Heritage" model. They are accurate, easy to shoot and simple. At different times, there was an array of different barrel/stock combinations offered. I've killed several deer with one or the other. 65 grains give me the most accurate load for 60 yard offhand, 440 roundball.

Sooo...you're getting it right after work Monday, right? Pics, man!

wm
Yup, deal even got sweeter too he asked me to give him $300 and I would get 4 breech plugs and a .36 cal barrel for it with the rifle and the 2 .45 cal barrels that come with it. The .36 cal barrel is with his brother in North Dakota so it will be shipped to me soon. This gun will be my first ML rifle and it will be worth every penny by what everyone is saying on the forum.

I'm late to the party but for what it's worth, I would've snatched that deal up in a second. 👍
Yea I had never heard of this rifle before so I didn't know if this was some 1960s Italian or Spanish dumpster fire muzzleloader or not. But I know now that this rifle is a neat little thing. I only shoot smoothbore and flintlock so this is all a new one for me. It will also be my first ML rifle.

I've had two of these, still have one - both long barrel .45's - one a "Heritage" model. They are accurate, easy to shoot and simple. At different times, there was an array of different barrel/stock combinations offered. I've killed several deer with one or the other. 65 grains give me the most accurate load for 60 yard offhand, 440 roundball.
Thanks for the input, I see a lot of guys here using 60 or 65 grains of powder which will give me something to go off of. My Bess digests 120g FF and spits out a freight train so I'm really only used to large powder charges. If I hadn't of asked for what charge people used I probably would've put in 80g like a dummy and the rest would probably have been history.

If you go to buy extra nipples for it, be advised that they are threaded 1/4-32. You can get them from Track of the Wolf.

Actually, they were manufactured with 1/4x32 and 1/4x28 TPI nipples. Both of mine are 1/4x28. Track of the wolf offers both. The barrels have two styles of installation to the receiver. One has Allen head setscrews holding the barrel to the receiver and the other has a taper pin. Mine has the taper pins.

Your boss is offering you a bargain at $300. I would jump on it

Thanks

O.R.

Actually, they were manufactured with 1/4x32 and 1/4x28 TPI nipples. Both of mine are 1/4x28. Track of the wolf offers both. The barrels have two styles of installation to the receiver. One has Allen head setscrews holding the barrel to the receiver and the other has a taper pin. Mine has the taper pins.

Your boss is offering you a bargain at $300. I would jump on it

Thanks

O.R.
Is 1/4-28 is a more common size compared to 1/4-32 ?

Is 1/4-28 is a more common size compared to 1/4-32 ?

I can not give you an accurate answer to that as I've only ever had my hands on 4 of them. Three were 1/4x28 with one being 1/4x32. The nipples are available from a couple of vendors. Nipple thread length is something to look at also. It depends on caliber and barrel size. I can follow up with some photos later if you like.

Thanks,
O.R.

Back