• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hopkins and Allen Heritage

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Renegade,
I have an extra butt stock that has been shaped and drilled for the bolt but not finished, brand new. Or I have an old one in good shape but the patch box is gone. If you have a patch box on your old one it could be switched over. Don't know what shipping would be but you can have the new one for $45 plus shipping or the old one for $30 plus shipping.
Make sure you are trying to drive out the pin in the right direction, they are tapered. To tighten the barrel I drill "straight " through the holes in the action and breech plug and use a roll pin.

Renegade,
I have an extra butt stock that has been shaped and drilled for the bolt but not finished, brand new. Or I have an old one in good shape but the patch box is gone. If you have a patch box on your old one it could be switched over. Don't know what shipping would be but you can have the new one for $45 plus shipping or the old one for $30 plus shipping.
Make sure you are trying to drive out the pin in the right direction, they are tapered. To tighten the barrel I drill "straight " through the holes in the action and breech plug and use a roll pin.

That is a generous offer, I'd be interested in the used butt stock. Mine does have a patch box I could swap over. I'll fire you a PM.

As far as the pin, it appears to have been put in from the right to the left. So the bigger end is on the right side as you'd hold the gun to fire it, so it needs to be driven out from the left side to the right. A bigger hammer isn't going to help, as it flattens/mushrooms the end of a brass punch in short order with strong hammer blows. I'm a bit leery to try a steel punch, thought it might be safer to just have a smith drill it out. Just would need a new pin, could even have a machine shop make one I'd think.
For tightening a sloppy barrel to the action, you drill it a bit bigger size and then just put a roll pin in that fits well? That shouldn't be too bad to do. Then I wouldn't need the tapered pin if I had it drilled out...

Renegade - That pin is tapered. I know this because I put one in backwards. Also tried to drive it out - without success. Friend at machine shop used a press to push it out (in like two minutes). Suggest you do the same. Memory is fading, but I think they go in from the left side of the receiver.

P.S. - that's how I cracked the stock on mine - trying to drive the pin.

There should be a brass "cup" around the nipple. Do not lose it.

Renegade - That pin is tapered. I know this because I put one in backwards. Also tried to drive it out - without success. Friend at machine shop used a press to push it out (in like two minutes). Suggest you do the same. Memory is fading, but I think they go in from the left side of the receiver.

P.S. - that's how I cracked the stock on mine - trying to drive the pin.

There should be a brass "cup" around the nipple. Do not lose it.

I'm aware it is tapered. Mine has the bigger end on the right side, so it was driven in from right to left.
Been that way since I got it, so it's very possible the previous owner put it in the wrong way. I'm just nervous to hammer on it with a steel punch, don't want to mar it up. The last time I went after trying to get it out all that happened was I mushroomed out the end of my brass punch.
Having a shop press it out is a good idea, I'll try that before resorting to drilling it out.

My dad bought this one in 1970 and gave it to me in 1981. It was the first gun larger than a .22 that I ever fired.

It's a .45. For target shooting at 50 yards, we used a .440 round ball, a pillow ticking patch, and 40 grains of 3Fg black powder. I haven't shot it in years, which is something I should rectify.

heritage-model.jpg

Are there any manufacturers out there for Hopkins & Allen rifles? These are so cool! My first muzzle loading shooting was with one owned by a friend of my father. It was a 45 caliber round ball. I learned to load and shoot. Those were the days. It's a simple design, but a very good rifle.

My dad bought this one in 1970 and gave it to me in 1981. It was the first gun larger than a .22 that I ever fired.

It's a .45. For target shooting at 50 yards, we used a .440 round ball, a pillow ticking patch, and 40 grains of 3Fg black powder. I haven't shot it in years, which is something I should rectify.

View attachment 111890
That one looks identical to mine.
Can't wait to shoot it.

Are there any manufacturers out there for Hopkins & Allen rifles? These are so cool! My first muzzle loading shooting was with one owned by a friend of my father. It was a 45 caliber round ball. I learned to load and shoot. Those were the days. It's a simple design, but a very good rifle.

H&A is out of business.

I've got one as well. It seems to be about a 52cal, maybe not an original barrel, and the the barrel was over clocked when the taper pin hole was reamed. Look down the barrel and the sights are at about 11:30, instead of 12. I have a new taper pin and reamer and a plan to braze the hole and redrill.

Also have a new action just waiting to be mated with a barrel and wood. A friend bought it around 1980, and sold it to me for what he he paid. Lots of projects for retirement.

I have a very early "Heritage" that has been retired for several years. The large pin that holds the barrel to the butt stock shouldn't be put in anywhere near that tightly. You just need to make sure the two sections have no movement and that it all is stabilized.
PICT0387-1.jpg

There "was" a fellow selling a very limited selection of the H&A's a few years ago from whence I bought my last one. That was around 2004. One of the few boxes I threw away or I'd have the address. It wasn't H%A. something different.

Been shooting these since the 70's, on my second one. Simple and accurate. The pin that holds the barrel to the receiver is tapered. It is possible to drive it in the wrong way. Wear long sleeves and have fun. Good for offhand shooting.
A Mag spark is made for that ,209 enclosed by cap Warren Outdoors sells them and works great(no burns) and Ned Roberts would be proud !/Ed

H&A is out of business.

Yeah, but...…………………… H&A went out of business very long ago, so the rifles you have/see were made by Numrich Arms, after they acquired the rights to the H&A name.

Once upon a time, I had a short-barreled (26") Heritage in .36cal that shot lights out on Squill's, once I realized Numrich's H&A bores were notorious of having bores smaller than "normal" for the various calibers.

I only sold it after I came across a primo .36 T/C Seneca for chump change - it shoots OK, but not quite as good as the H&A.

Latest posts

Back