• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thoughts and input

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’ve been keeping an eye on this Underhammer at a local hole in the wall for about a year now. It’s a Hopkins and Allen in .45. Rifle is in decent condition minus a few spots here and there. Ol boy says the only person who has looked at it in several years has been me. He’s part mule, because he won’t come off the price. Which is completely fine. His shop, his rules. Anyway, he’s asking three bills for it. Not sure if it’s worth it. I snapped a few pics of he before he put it back on the wall where it had been for the last several years, dust and all.
So, what are your thoughts? Worth it or too much? Or stay away? I must say the stock and metal are in over all pretty decent shape.

Anthony

Attachments

• IMG_1348.jpeg
    IMG_1348.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1349.jpeg
    IMG_1349.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1350.jpeg
    IMG_1350.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1351.jpeg
    IMG_1351.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
$300 is not a bad price. They have sold recently on here for a bit more. You will not be hurt. If he will not come off the price I might offer $300 in cash and he handles the sales tax. I have a 36 looks the same as that one. Mine has a fixed sight, that one adjustable. My biggest issue with mine was the forestock. The way they cut it with the grain when I shot it the recoil split the wood right down the middle. Reglued it, shot it, same then. Three times happpened. Got tired of the hassl and had it restocked.

$300 is not a bad price. They have sold recently on here for a bit more. You will not be hurt. If he will not come off the price I might offer $300 in cash and he handles the sales tax. I have a 36 looks the same as that one. Mine has a fixed sight, that one adjustable. My biggest issue with mine was the forestock. The way they cut it with the grain when I shot it the recoil split the wood right down the middle. Reglued it, shot it, same then. Three times happpened. Got tired of the hassl and had it restocked.
I believe you are right. I don’t feel that it is a bad price. I just was curious as to what everyone else thought. I’ve been wanting one for a while. I’ll probably end up getting in the next week or so. I just recently purchased another muzzy on here earlier in the week. But, two in the matter of days is ok? Right? I mean, I don’t have a problem right? 😂

Anthony

I just bought one on Gun Broker 45cal with a scope for $400 . Seems on GunBroker they usually go for more .I had one years ago and it was a great shooter messed around and traded it off and have always wanted to replace it but not for $500 or $600 that most seem to want. It was shipped today so I should have it this week. I say buy it

I believe you are right. I don’t feel that it is a bad price. I just was curious as to what everyone else thought. I’ve been wanting one for a while. I’ll probably end up getting in the next week or so. I just recently purchased another muzzy on here earlier in the week. But, two in the matter of days is ok? Right? I mean, I don’t have a problem right? 😂

Anthony
I just bought two .54 rifles within three days of each other. And a .50 pistol at about the same time. Haven't felt bad about it yet.

I’ve been keeping an eye on this Underhammer at a local hole in the wall for about a year now. It’s a Hopkins and Allen in .45. Rifle is in decent condition minus a few spots here and there. Ol boy says the only person who has looked at it in several years has been me. He’s part mule, because he won’t come off the price. Which is completely fine. His shop, his rules. Anyway, he’s asking three bills for it. Not sure if it’s worth it. I snapped a few pics of he before he put it back on the wall where it had been for the last several years, dust and all.
So, what are your thoughts? Worth it or too much? Or stay away? I must say the stock and metal are in over all pretty decent shape.

Anthony
If you like it and think it will be worth it even if it takes some work to bring up to condition,,, buy it.

He’s part mule, because he won’t come off the price.
Have you tried waving actual cash at him. Lots of people say they won't take less when it is just a conversation, but when cold cash comes out, say three "crisp" 100 dollar bills, things sometimes change.

If you been looking for one PAY the man. $300 bucks Ain't what it used to be....It's like $59 in 1970's money. Recreation,Protection, & a Emergency food source, you bet I'd buy it $300 don't last long at the Piggly Wiggly. Just make sure it's functional....We can't justify our I WANTS anyway.....Be safe>>>>>>Wally

I went back to that shop really quick this morning with intentions and cash. The owner was acting strange. Almost like he didn’t want to show it to me again. I got the impression he didn’t like me asking questions and looking down the barrel (which was empty) but a workable rusty. He was more concerned with his usual crowd than me. So, I took that as a sign and backed out. I’m in no rush for one, I just like them and one will come along. I’m more concerned with my kitchen being finished this week anyway. I appreciate everyone and their input.

Anthony

I would have bought that in the blink of an eye. I know about those old H&A's, even had one way back in time. The shop looks interesting. Let us know how it works out.

Several things you might try to use as "negotiating tactics";

1.) As mentioned above, CASH (or a check) innately carries a 2%-4% premium over a credit card, which he surely accepts (all retail locations do these days).
2.) A bore light AND a bore scope inspection will show pits in there (or dust which will look like corrosion) which can be shown to him during your inspection.
3.) Do you need other supplies that he carries (powder, caps, round balls, round ball mould, gun case, suppository gun ammunition)? Offer to buy those too from him which will increase his overall transaction profit.
4.) See if you can find recent transactions on more "off the beaten track" web sites you can cite at a transaction price < $300. A print out of those can be helpful.
5.) If you can, see if you can engage him in a conversation about the merits of "inventory turnover rate" and "revenue per square foot" of retail space. Even if he doesn't do those calculations they are intuitive to anyone that does retail transactions. Odds are about 100% that he has other inventory categories that turn over much much faster.
6.) If you can figure out his cost basis (often it's around 40% on used guns vs. around 10%-15% on new stuff) you might be able to get inside that margin. You won't get the whole 40% (my guess is his cost basis is around $175-$200), but you might get down to half of it.
7.) Soothe his ego and remind him what a good customer you have been for a lot of years.
8.) Show up at what is generally a very slow time of day, month, and year. Saturday mornings right after the first of the month (right after people get paid) are NOT the time to walk in the door. Likewise, right before or after the 1st of the year (when Christmas credit card bills are coming due) is a good time and generally slow for retailers. The down side to that is he may be feeling pretty flush with cash after the Christmas season, and less willing to negotiate.
9.) You might come in to the shop and just drop a comment while just browsing that "that under hammer is still here huh? Hmmm." After a while (particularly if you're the only guy that seems to ever look at it) it will start to gnaw at him and he will get sick of continuing to look at it on his shelf.
10.) Do you have a product or service that he needs or could be used as "currency" to trade with him?

You are playing a game here. Never be afraid to walk away from a transaction.

No game needed; at 300, this is a bargain. Such rifles can't be found for 250 anymore, or 275 for that matter. I think the shop owner tells himself, 'Oh, here comes that guy again...! While the Colonel's observations are correct, most gun shop owners don't think like financial cost-analysists. If I knew where one was for that price, I'd drive there myelf! ;) You could lose a small gem for the sake of 25 or 50 bucks!

Back