• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hoe do you un-choke a shotgun?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stubert

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a CVA turkey federation caplock 12 gauge. It is advertised as xtra full choke, I miked the muzzle it is .685 I want to open it up so I can use it with a roundball.
Anyone got any Ideas?

Need to ream it out or saw it off. Bookie has some great info on how to make a reamer.

I allways go around the engineers and ask to borrow an adjustable reamer and tap wrench to do it by hand. It must be sharp and you must only take a whisker off at a time. Also you must rotate the muzzles in your hand often and use some oil. Most important- do not use any power tools! Be patient :hatsoff:

I'd first suggest you sell or trade it to someone who wants a turkey gun, then get yourself a cylinder bore for ball shooting. Lots of people seem to want to choke their cylinder bores for tighter shot patterns and here you have a tight choke and want to get rid of it. :grin:
But if you must-- then Britsmoothy is right, a sharp expandable reamer is the way to do it. But if the bore is chrome lined it will ruin a reamer pretty quickly. Chrome lined bores are nice but make any choke alteration a real pain.

Back