• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TC New Englander: Fixed Choke vs. Tubes?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Looking for opinions from those of you who’ve owned and shot the 12 gauge T/C New Englander. Do you prefer the fixed choke version or the version with choke tubes?

I’m hoping to buy one, primarily for spring turkey hunting, but it may also see duty for rabbits in the winter.

Most of my turkey hunting is done over decoys from a pop up blind, and my shots in the last several years have averaged just under 25 yards. Would a fixed choke New Englander be adequate for this task, or should I look for one with choke tubes?
30475420-6702-4AEE-8088-12BF4CFCFA3E.jpeg

If your shots are under 25 yards you should have no trouble working up a load with a cylinder choke. If you go with a full choke you might have trouble hitting rabbits, and have difficulty getting card wads down the tube.

Choke tube or not, you will still need to work up a load so you know what works. I have 2 new englanders. One of each. I worked up a load in my Traditions 12 that works great in it, my Pieta 12ga, and my cylinder new englander. I use the same load just liter in my Sharron 20ga and renegade 56 smooth bore. I have never shot the new englander with the choke tube. No need. Shot 1 turkey ar 35yds with my Traditions and another at 25yds with the Renegade. More than enough pellets in the head and neck that they never even flopped around. DRT.

Having had one of each I would go with the fixed choke. As stated tight chokes can be tough to get a wad down, especially in the field.

25 yards is doable with the right load. I did it with a 20 gauge.

Another factor is the very fine threads on the choke inserts. They are an ideal place for rust to start and almost impossible to get totally clean.

Ironhand

Here's what I'm getting from an ic choke in my TC 12 gauge. I can't get close to that with my cylinder bored gun. 70 grs of P Pyrodex and one ounce of #5 shot at 20 yards. The chokes do make it harder to load, though.
IMG_20220919_163206044_HDR~4.jpg

I have a TC New Englander and a camo TC TreeHawk, both with choke tubes and I like being able to switch from Modified for ducks, doves and turkeys to Cylinder for roundball or close in quail or grouse. With modified choke it is no problem to reload a shot load with choke in place. Full choke would probably require choke removal.

If I came across a New Englander with the fixed cylinder choke I would buy it and work up a good load (see Skychief load).

These guns are very nice and getting hard to find, I only wish they made a flintlock version….. but hopefully Jim Kibler will start offering a fowler soon…….
7E93475F-16D1-4993-B817-BBB265732795.jpeg

I have an early fixed choke New Englander 12ga, cylinder bore. Bought it in 1981. Never tried to work up a turkey load for it. But for 25 yards I think a good load could be found. I used to squirrel hunt with mine using #6 shot, had no problems reaching out to 30 yards or so. One of my Sons confiscated mine, I may have to take it back. They're sweet guns.

For what it's worth, the TC manual on loading the 12ga New Englander with screw-in says to remove the tube before loading.

Would a fixed choke New Englander be adequate for this task, or should I look for one with choke tubes?
Honestly?
With these things,, the hand loaded variables of charge volume, shot size/weight and cushion options far out exceed the basic value of the variable choke as used in our modern arms.
You can "hand build" the optimum load for each bores choke option no matter what you have.
+/- 10grns of powder
+/- an 1/8th oz of lead
Will change a pattern from Turkey to Grouse.
What your looking for has become a rare item, as most folks that have them, keep them.
Don't worry too much about choke options, it's the load variables that make it work.
Good luck.

Last edited:
Back