• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

historical methods of wadding

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have experimented fairly extensively with historical wadding, including tow and brown paper. I've also worked out good loads for ball and shot using shredded cedar bark, took all my normal game with it, rabbit, squirrel, dove, turkey, deer. Early on in working with tow and cedar I realized the loads were not as powerful as those with punched wads or modern commercial ones using the same powder charges. I figured there was a loss of pressure from the gasses blowing through the soft, porous wadding material, even when rammed well. I tried something to avoid that which worked very well, using another historical wadding. I tried putting a brown paper wad over powder before loading the tow or cedar, and that simple barrier solved the problem.

My experience made me wonder if Markland's recommendation for both tow and old saddle pierce didn't consist of a punched leather wad over powder, then the tow. No way to know, of course, but that's my story and i'm sticking to it.

Spence
George,
If you are still around, would you send me a private message? I want to pick your brain on references to tow.
Respectfully,
James

Hello all, I am looking for some historical methods of wadding a smoothbore. Specifically on how a civilian hunter might wad their gun. I am familiar with tow and wasp nest respectively, and would like to hear some others.
Archeologists pulling guns up around Michigan found grass in loaded barrels. I read about this but can't recall details. Of course we won't do that now, but back in history they had to make-do or die! Just as a joke here, one could always use liberal newspapers as wadding! :)

Good luck finding that. I've been looking for that documentation for more than three decades but have come up empty. I've asked that question at least a dozen times on various forums with never a single response. I have found one mention from very late 19th century, but it may very well be fiction.

A Turkey Hunt, by David Dodge, Outing Magazine, Vol 27, October 1895 to March 1896, pg. 231.

Outing. v. 27 1895-96.

"His amazingly long-barreled gun, which was an old ā€œflint-and-steelā€ converted into a percussion, was an object of unbounded interest. The loading proceeded with the greatest deliberation. Matt had his own notions about loading a gun and believed that his way was the only sure one for turkey. The charges had to be measured with extreme nicety, a certain sized shot unmixed with any others, and hornetā€™s-nest wadding had to be used. The last wad had always to be rammed till the ramrod had bounced out of the barrel seven times."

Spence
Interesting, but I'd guess the '7 times' thing was the shooter's personal 'magic number'!

Archeologists pulling guns up around Michigan found grass in loaded barrels. I read about this but can't recall details. Of course we won't do that now, but back in history they had to make-do or die! Just as a joke here, one could always use liberal newspapers as wadding! :)
I have found that newspapers of whatever political bias are equally effective as over powder wads at preventing gas blow by. The folded newspaper or thin cardboard wads would work, however, paper in the historical context would have been uncommon and not as available as moss, grass, or tow.

A good dense dry moss would work. The reindeer moss we have would work as well as the Spanish moss in the south. These are not as dense as newspaper and would have more gas blow by. I've tried leaves, but the dry leaves were too fragile and broke apart unless you used a lot of leaves.

Here is a reference to Spanish moss, used as wadding by the southern Indians:

Moore - Voyage to Georgia.png

This is from Francis Moore's A Voyage to Georgia in the Year 1735, published in 1744. Note that "green" Spanish moss is made of filaments covered with a velvety, gray-green skin or pulp, but a Moore described, the inner filaments are black. When the moss dies, the black, curly filaments are left in masses, hanging from trees or lying on the ground. I could have picked up a couple of bushels of it this morning while out on a woods walk with my wife and dogs. The dried Spanish moss fibers look sort of like human... umm... body hair. The green moss does not burn well, but it makes a lot of smoke if you put it on a fire. The black moss makes excellent tinder, and it sounds from Moore's wording as if the black moss was used by the Indians as wadding. I have used the live or green moss as wadding, and it works as well as tow. I expect the black moss would be sort of a fire hazard if used for wadding, and I haven't tried it for that purpose.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Last edited:
A long discourse on shooting in England recommended the old felt stuffing from an old saddle. An old gun recovered, I think from South Carolina, had coconut husk.

Tenngun, if you could give the name of the long poem/treatise on ā€œ The Art of Shooting Flying ā€œ originally published in England and included by Robert Held in his book ā€œ The Age of Firearms ā€œ? I have a couple of copies of it myself, but it might take a couple of days to put my hands on one. I think you have it too.
Many of the readers here would enjoy looking it up on the Interweb and reading it. Lots of information on loading and shooting, and hunting techniques of the mid-1750ā€™s.,
The poem was written by a guy named Markwell in the 1759ā€™s or so.
It is titled ā€œPlygeteria ā€œ, or something like that.

Tenngun, if you could give the name of the long poem/treatise on ā€œ The Art of Shooting Flying ā€œ originally published in England and included by Robert Held in his book ā€œ The Age of Firearms ā€œ? I have a couple of copies of it myself, but it might take a couple of days to put my hands on one. I think you have it too.
Many of the readers here would enjoy looking it up on the Interweb and reading it. Lots of information on loading and shooting, and hunting techniques of the mid-1750ā€™s.,
Yes I have Helds book, there is another passage printed fifty years later that was also informative, also in Helds book

It is available I believe on Spence's website, Bob's Blackpowder Notebook.

James,

With all the leather work you do, I imagine you have a scrap bin even larger than mine and full of different thicknesses of leather. Have you experimented with different oz weights for over the powder and over the shot "cards," and if so, do you have any recommendations? Also, just wondering if you have ever tried thick leather as a wad?

Gus
Gus, I've used some thin but rather firm tempered pieces just playing but have never used them in serious patterning to date. Too many things to do and too little sunlight ; )
They make a good seal and pressure though.

Latest posts

Back