• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hevishot

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark starr

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Fellers ,, I was fixin to buy some Bismuth shot then i started reading up on Hevishot. So before I get in touch with them and ask them if our Smoothbore barrels would stand up to it . I thought I would pose the question to you guys and see if you knew. :confused:

Most barrels are made of much milder steel than what is used for Steel shot. You should assume that your barrel won't stand up to any of the shot made as a substitute for lead, until proven otherwise!

The problem with all of the non-toxic substitutes for steel shot is how costly they are, and the availability, both obviously linked together.

You can use Hevishot- if you can find it--- by using the heavy Plastic shot cups sold by Ballistics Products, and possibly other suppliers, designed to be used with steel shot.

You can also make your own shot cups, but they will need to be made of heavy paper, or (index) card stock, to protect your barrel from being scored by the pellets as they move out of the barrel on firing.

How thick they need to be( the shotcups) depends on the size of the shot you choose, the brand you choose, and the gauge of your gun. Generally, the larger the size of the shot pellets, the thicker your cup needs to be.

How long the cups need to be depends on the amount of shot you intend to shoot and the gauge of your gun.

You may also want to experiment with finding ways to cause a separation of the cup from the shot when it leaves the barrel. Ideas tried here that work including putting a "tail " on the cup, that acts like a drag-chute, and cutting slits in the front of the cup, so that the "petals" fold out and act like an air brake. IN barrels that have choke tubes, or fixed choke, the choke complicates the use of either the plastic or paper shotcups because you have to fit the cup down through the choke. You should probably need to use some kind of OP wad behind the cup so that the cup can be small enough in diameter to fit easily through the choke.

Jug-choked barrels do not pose the same problems regarding fit, in using either the paper or plastic shotcups.

Some members have been buying commercial shotgun shells loaded with some of the new non-toxic shot products, and taking the shot from these shells to use in their MLERS. Considering the bag limits imposed on migratory Waterfowl, which require the use of non-toxic shot, many BP shooters simply don't use their BP guns to hunt Waterfowl any more. Trust me when I tell you that the US fish and Wildlife service has felt the Pinch from the drop in revenues from the sale of licenses and "stamps", as well as excise taxes on ammo.

And all this because of a faulty reading of some preliminary data that later was proved to be false, and does Not support the claims that lead shot was being ingested by waterfowl and killing them with lead poisoning, as the result of shot laying in shallow water, or on the open ground. Later studies indicate the mortality from wounded waterfowl easily explains the decomposed carcasses that earlier, unskilled students had examined and falsely attributed to the ducks and geese INGESTING lead shot. Later studies show that Lead shot quickly oxidizes with calcium present in the water, or with Iron present in the water and soils, to form a thick, hard crust around the lead pellet. If eaten, the pellets pass harmlessly through the bird's digestive system. But it would be easier to get water to flow uphill than to get Congress to reverse a bad law. :hmm: :thumbsup:

many holes--You can use hevi-shot-use a protective plastic shot cup- I use these pictured both from ballistic products weigh each load do not over load you will be just fine 1 oz. of lead weighs the same as 1 oz. of hevi-shot

I harvested duck-geese-turkeys with hevi-shot last season.... it works- hits harder - found I got better penetration with it vs steel...This is hands on experience in the field!

IMG_0282.jpg

IMG_0263.jpg

IMG_0239.jpg

IMG_0195.jpg

IMG_0194_1-1.jpg

do I have to add more ?....It works!

Makeum's picture shows that he's shooting a Pedersoli Doppieta. That gun will handle heavy shot with their plastic cups (newer one's are even chrome lined--not period correct, but neither is Hevi Shot).

I use Hevi shot in my Pedersoli, too.
But that's a modern gun intended for Hevi loads, and I only get a small number of shots per year with it--hell I can only afford a small number of shots a year with it.

I sure wouldn't put Hevi Shot through my Henry Egg 14 gauge, with the beautiful Damascus barrels!

GreenMt said:
Makeum's picture shows that he's shooting a Pedersoli Doppieta. That gun will handle heavy shot with their plastic cups (newer one's are even chrome lined--not period correct, but neither is Hevi Shot).

I use Hevi shot in my Pedersoli, too.
But that's a modern gun intended for Hevi loads, and I only get a small number of shots per year with it--hell I can only afford a small number of shots a year with it.

I sure wouldn't put Hevi Shot through my Henry Egg 14 gauge, with the beautiful Damascus barrels!

Green mt- gun shown Pedersoli 10 ga..12ga. Pedersoli Mortimer..T/C New Englander

if you use a protective shot cup whats the difference 1 oz of steel weighs the same as 1 oz of Hevi-shot-using these wads I have checked and not once has the heavy shot penetrated through these wads.If Non-toxic shot bothers you because it non traditional don't go waterfowl hunting. If you can't afford it don't use it :youcrazy: Maybe you should hang the 14 gauge on the wall and just look at it! :shake:

I use nickel plated lead on turkeys and heavy shot, bismuth or steel on geese and ducks. I use some plastic wads and rolled paper shot cups mostly and havent seen any barrel damage. Do some test loads and keep an eye on your spent wads what ever load you try. As Paul said, the spent wads tell the story on barrel protection. As an aside, Doc white carried some tapered plastic wads that fit choked guns. I bought a bunch a few years back and they work great in my 12 ga Pedersoli SxS. Dont know if he still sells them.

I doubt anyone is making plastic shotcups for a 24 gauge( .58 caliber) barrel. You will have to make your own cups out of paper. It just takes time- no heavy mental work-- to make them up. Don't expect to get them right the first time. Use regular lead to test the cups before finalizing your "design". Then, and only then fire some patterns using Hevi-shot.

paulvallandigham said:
I doubt anyone is making plastic shotcups for a 24 gauge( .58 caliber) barrel.
Ballistic Products makes one 24ga shotcup, but it is intended for lead shot.

Regards,
Joel

Thanks Joel, I will have to look at my latest BP catalog. I must have overlooked it. That lead shot cup can be made to work for the harder non-toxic shot types, BTW, by putting a strip of index card stock inside the cup, to give added protection, and thickness to the wall of the cup.thumbsup:

paulvallandigham said:
”¦by putting a strip of index card stock inside the cup, to give added protection”¦

Reloading data recommends using a mylar wrap for added protection. Having seen some wraps after firing, I’m not sure that index card would provide any barrel protection. If you are going to shoot HeviShot in any type of shotgun, I recommend reading this manual:
http://www.ballisticproducts.com/prodinfo.asp?number=00MHEVI

One advantage of shooting this shot in a muzzleloader is that the load does not travel through a forcing cone like it does in a cartridge gun. Less choke is better. Even cylinder bore mz’s can get pretty tight patterns if you do your homework.

Last edited by a moderator:
The plastic cups provide sufficient protection for lead shot. Putting an index card sleeve in the cup will add to the protection, with the plastic helping to cushion the non-toxic shot as it tries to push thru the card stock. I have worked with the mylar sleeves, and am not impressed with them. I have picked several up off the ground that show substantial holes in them, using Steel shot. The patterns were nothing to write home about, either. :shocked2: :rotf: :surrender: :hmm:

Only use thick protective plastic shot wads-cups when using hevi-shot.-----.period

----------------Nothing else----------------------do I make myself perfectly clear?

Others here have not even shot hevi-shot and give advice.... if you have not shot Heavi-shot out of a muzzle loader please keep your inexperienced thoughts to yourself before you hurt someone. there are members here looking to use this product with out trashing their barrels.

paulvallandigham said:
I have worked with the mylar sleeves, and am not impressed with them. I have picked several up off the ground that show substantial holes in them, using Steel shot.

Doesn’t sound like you were using the right mylar. If it doesn’t work for steel, it would be disastrous if used with HeviShot. I will not use any shot cup or wrap that was not designed for tungsten-iron alloys.

makeumsmoke said:
Only use thick protective plastic shot wads-cups when using hevi-shot.-----.period

Excellent advice :thumbsup: + read the manual, confirm with your own testing and use with confidence.

The mylar strips I tried were made for that purpose. I was given some to try by a friend from his supply, before spending the money to buy my own. NO, I was not expecting to find the holes in the mylar, and then in the plastic wad "petals" that I did, and was quite surprised and frustrated that I did.

The first thing I did was take the barrel out of the gun, run a cleaning patch with some solvent down it, and then checked the barrel for scoring grooves in it. There were none visible, but I then talked to friends with more experience goose and duck hunting than me about the issue, and showed them the spent cups and mylar inserts. None of them liked what they saw.

They all advised me to try something else. That is when I hit on the idea of trying the index card stock strips, inside the plastic cups. For some reason-- perhaps the difference in the two materials -- the card stock had some very small rub holes, but the plastic cups held up, and exhibited no holes, PROVIDED, I used the card inserts.

This was in smokeless cartridge guns with chokes. I would expect the plastic cups( and the mylar strips) to hold up better at BP velocities, particularly in barrels that are cylinder bore.

Your experience may differ.

Back