• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Removing oil from Walnut

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Several months ago I got my Kibler SMR in fancy Walnut. I did the initial fitting and assembly, along with making and installing a toe plate before standing it up in the corner of my bench until I finished some much needed work on my house. Yesterday I brought it up to my new work room and saw oil oosing from the touch hole and into the surrounding wood. I would like to try and pull some of this out before I start fishing the stock and would appreciate any help, John

acetone will remove what you see but may not draw the oil out of the wood.
micro wave some dry rice and pack it into and around that hole. it will warm the wood and absorb the oil. takes some time but will work.
used to bu milsurp guns packed in cosmoline. after washing them with gasoline (leaded of course) i would bed them in rice. seemed to do the trick.

^^^That is the correct answer.^^^

The acetone will remove some oil and leave that area oil free.

Wait 12 hours.

The oil will migrate to that dry area. Wipe it down again with a clean paper towel and fresh acetone. Don't be afraid to flood that area. Flooding will dissipate the oil.

Rinse and Repeat several times.

I've done this many times. And the minute amount of oil residue left behind has never had a negative impact on finishing the stock.

PS: Mop that bore and breech to remove the standing oil and don't flood it with lubricant anymore. A very light coat is all you need.

Last edited:
I'll start by saying I'm certainly not a pro at stock refinishing. I'm redoing my first stock, a Lyman/Investarm GPR and have put on three coats of Tru-oil. There was a lot of oil in the original factory finish to be removed, plus GB Linspeed that I added over time. I believe the heated rice would be the way to go, wish I had read that two weeks ago! After stripping the old finish with Citristrip, I used Kleanstrip odorless mineral spirits to saturate the stock, which I got very warm with a heat gun. Blotting the oil with a paper towel as it oozed to the surface took care of 95% of it. For the really stubborn spots. I heated them with the gun, used an eyedropper to drip as much spirits as the wood would take, directly on each spot, and then more heat with the gun and towels to absorb the oil. Here are some pics to give you an idea. I was more than surprised as to how it is turning out. Good luck!

Attachments

• IMG_20231025_103350_807.jpg
    IMG_20231025_103350_807.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20231105_150452_865.jpg
    IMG_20231105_150452_865.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20231102_110239_993.jpg
    IMG_20231102_110239_993.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
Thanks for the replies, I also have used acetone for cleaning cosmoline from many milsurps. I wrote a reply last night but just realized I never posted it. I have since got most of the oil out, Thanks again all of you for the support. john.

Latest posts

Back