• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Deer practice

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Banjoman

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Took the Thompson Center Hawken out today to see if I could still hit a deer sized target at 50 yards from a sitting or standing position. I knew I could but it’s always fun to practice.

Powder charge was 70 grains of Pyrodex RS.

Round ball was Hornady .490 with an occasional .495 snuck in. Other than the larger ball being a little snug to start, I couldn’t tell any difference. Maybe a better shooter could.

Patch was 100% cotton tee shirt material cut at muzzle. Lube was good old Crisco vegetable shortening and spit.

Also, I was breaking in a new hunting cap.

Just as I was finishing a young fellow shows up with his modern bolt action, suppressed, scoped, bi-pod mounted rifle. Don’t know what caliber. As I was putting my gear away, I spotted a pop can on the range at about 40 yards. I thinks to myself, why not! So I loaded up one more and took an off hand shot while the young feller was watching. I got lucky and hit the can sending it soaring into the air, end over end down range!

The young feller looks at me and asks “do you deer hunt with that old musket?”. I simply replied “yep!”.
758CEB0D-8BB0-4B67-8CFB-903E6DD767AE.jpeg

Took the Thompson Center Hawken out today to see if I could still hit a deer sized target at 50 yards from a sitting or standing position. I knew I could but it’s always fun to practice.

Round ball was Hornady .490 with an occasional .495 snuck in. Other than the larger ball being a little snug to start, I couldn’t tell any difference. Maybe a better shooter could.

Patch was 100% cotton tee shirt material cut at muzzle. Lube was good old Crisco vegetable shortening and spit.

Just as I was finishing a young fellow shows up with his modern bolt action, suppressed, scoped, bi-pod mounted rifle. Don’t know what caliber. As I was putting my gear away, I spotted a pop can on the range at about 40 yards. I thinks to myself, why not! So I loaded up one more and took an off hand shot while the young feller was watching. I got lucky and hit the can sending it soaring into the air, end over end down range!

The young feller looks at me and asks “do you deer hunt with that old musket?”. I simply replied “yep!”.View attachment 245071
Awesome man!

Rubs me the wrong way when they call it a musket. :(
When my daugher was i HS band she had a classmate wh's mom always said (in a thick NY accent) "Getchyo Trumpet" Twas a trombone. lol

To some we all shoot muskets and to others we all play trombones :doh:

Excellent day at the range. Guy had his interst peaked for sure. Maybe you can offer to let him shoot that there "musket" next time and hook him good!

Yeah, and there's a paper what he calls a target with all his 50yrd deer hunting pratice shot's too, 😉

Last edited:
Ya need more practice.
50yrds off hand should be very near too one hole, honest.
Aim small,,,
Why does your target photo show all that staged gear?
Your topic is deer practice,,, :dunno:
I agree I need more practice! I never get enough! How good it would be to shoot enough to wear that gun or any gun completely out! I still got lead and powder I’ve never used.

My eyesight ain’t what it used to be back when I was a young, stout infantry soldier. Even with my glasses, 50 yards is a long distance for me.🙁

As for the gear, some folks like looking at that stuff, same as I do. Some folks don’t. It don’t matter. I get ideas and inspiration to make things from viewing other folks gear. I ain’t no craftsman, that’s for sure, but I enjoy making stuff for muzzleloaders. Maybe you could share a picture of some of your homemade gear?

I hope to stage that rifle in a picture with a deer later this year. Do you have any hunting pictures to share? Would like to see them if you do.

Do you have an musket pictures? I like muskets!

Thanks!

Last edited:

The young feller looks at me and asks “do you deer hunt with that old musket?”. I simply replied “yep!”.View attachment 245071
Everything looks good. Know your limitations.

Thanks for sharing your story.

Absolutely! I’d like to see it when you get it finished. I got the idea from a guy on here. I think it was a picture posted by Tenngun. I made one for a .45 and .50. They seem stouter than the store bought starters.

I consider myself a good shot and would never be able to replicate the marksmanship described by Necchi. He should post pointers. I have one...ONE... Rifle that would come close on sand bags. I rarely shoot 50 yd though. 90 is where I practice. Cuz where I shoot for 40 years that was the max. Now they closed that out to shooting (and post others) and have forced us back into the national forest. Poor hikers.

Good on you @Banjoman ! Keep enjoying the Hobby.

By the way, I really like your ball starter. Simple, stout and appears to be hickory. You have inspired me to copy your design [if you do not mind].

Thanks for sharing,
DanL

I agree. Seen someone else here has a home made powdermeasure/ball starter in one. I like that Idea and look to copy it also.

Offhand at 50? I'd take that group all day. Great kit you got, love the powder measure/ balls starter idea. Thanks for sharing.

Absolutely! I’d like to see it when you get it finished. I got the idea from a guy on here. I think it was a picture posted by Tenngun. I made one for a .45 and .50. They seem stouter than the store bought starters.
@Banjoman
Try and find you a burl you can cut from a Cherry, Hickory, Sweet Gum, etc. and make one. They make a nice starter.

Oh, one more thing....the pic is great showing your out there gear! Only thing??? ya couldnt fins an ornge coon skin cap? LOLOL

Latest posts

Back