• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Deer practice

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got the idea from this guy, Tenngun.
View attachment 245488
I’ve always liked this staged picture 🤣
I got the idea from one in the museum of the fur trade
The top is drilled out as a charger. This of some one tells me ball starters weren’t invented yet, I can say it’s just my charger.

I take photos of all the animals I kill. I put them in an album along with a short synopsis of where, when and how I killed them. A lot of guys have a tendency to turn those 50 yards shots into 75, 100 150 yards as time goes by. Doing this keeps me honest with myself.

I take photos of all the animals I kill. I put them in an album along with a short synopsis of where, when and how I killed them. A lot of guys have a tendency to turn those 50 yards shots into 75, 100 150 yards as time goes by. Doing this keeps me honest with myself.
A keyboard helps some folks exaggerate a little. Rather than long shots, I like to go close. The closer the better; I think it's the challenge and the intimacy of getting inside the animals' lounge room. A fond memory of a hunt, I was with a buddy a decade younger than me, a good shot he is too. We had some chital deer feeding toward us in scrappy scrub; as they were coming on slowly with the wind in our favour, I challenged my mate to be real patient, stand still, to see how close they would come. Blow me if they didn't feed right past us, through our position, then move on. They didn't even know we were there. The smile on my mate's face was priceless. Not a shot fired, no venison to butcher or carry out, empty handed, empty fridge - but what a hunt to remember.

Here's a pic of the lad getting in close, sans rifle. The young stag near his rub tree in the gully is curious, not alarmed, and the main mob feeding in the thick stuff haven't got wind yet. A good rest on a nearby tree would have a ball inside the vitals. In the second image, this beauty was unaware as he negotiated his way to water for an early morning drink - the camera shutter got his attention.

Pete

Skill test.jpg
Morning water.JPG

Last edited:
A keyboard helps some folks exaggerate a little. Rather than long shots, I like to go close. The closer the better; I think it's the challenge and the intimacy of getting inside the animals' lounge room. A fond memory of a hunt, I was with a buddy a decade younger than me, a good shot he is too. We had some chital deer feeding toward us in scrappy scrub; as they were coming on slowly with the wind in our favour, I challenged my mate to be real patient, stand still, to see how close they would come. Blow me if they didn't feed right past us, through our position, then move on. They didn't even know we were there. The smile on my mate's face was priceless. Not a shot fired, no venison to butcher or carry out, empty handed, empty fridge - but what a hunt to remember.

Here's a pic of the lad getting in close, sans rifle. The young stag near his rub tree in the gully is curious, not alarmed, and the main mob feeding in the thick stuff haven't got wind yet. A good rest on a nearby tree would have a ball inside the vitals. In the second image, this beauty was unaware as he negotiated his way to water for an early morning drink - the camera shutter got his attention.

Pete

View attachment 247055View attachment 247056
Those certainly are pretty critters.

I did recover some of the patches and they looked okay, as far as I could tell. I may try your suggestion. I’ve never measured material, just looked for something cotton that would work. I still have a lot to learn about this hobby.

Thanks!
Lots of people read everything they can before doing anything… some people try it and learn by doing… nothing really wrong with either approach although I’ve always been one of the latter. later on I read about it somewhere and say to myself, “Oh, that does work better!” Either way, burning powder is a very good teacher.

Back