• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Deer practice

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nice shooting!
(my first ML rife was/is a T/C ... still have it after all these years... shoot straighter than i can hold it.

Ya need more practice.
50yrds off hand should be very near too one hole, honest.
Aim small,,,
Why does your target photo show all that staged gear?
Your topic is deer practice,,, :dunno:
A bit rough there necchi, actually for 50 yards if shooting at a deer that group would Put meat in the freezer. As stated in prior post how's your 50-yard groups off hand, one hole I would like to see the target and your method to achieve such groups. I consider myself a decent shooter and a 3-4 in. group offhand 50 yards with a flinter is a good day for me. Keep at it Banjoman I think your right at 0 deer thirty for 50 yards.

My eyesight ain’t what it used to be back when I was a young,,,,,, Even with my glasses,
Aim Small.
Don't shoot at the paper(deer),
Shoot at the middle of the paper(deers heart),
I've been wearing glasses since I was 12, they improve your vision, if you stay current with the prescription. (eyes change)

Ya know, our family never has taken pictures of harvests, even the old photo's of my ancestors, Not sure why really,
Humility(?), respect for the game,,(?) Killing something and eating it is part of all our lives, glorifying that just never made sense I guess.
A "Trophy" might be different, but spike bucks, fork horns and fat does aren't trophies,, neither is a limit of crappies, squirrel, duck, or a turkey.
Even that 9're I got with the bow,, I got his rack,, but no pictures of the dead animal and the tools I used to kill him.
We didn't carry cameras in our pocket like today, the "phone" hung on the wall at home.
It's food ya harvest, process and eat,, :dunno:

Last edited:
I agree I need more practice! I never get enough! How good it would be to shoot enough to wear that gun or any gun completely out! I still got lead and powder I’ve never used.

My eyesight ain’t what it used to be back when I was a young, stout infantry soldier. Even with my glasses, 50 yards is a long distance for me.🙁

As for the gear, some folks like looking at that stuff, same as I do. Some folks don’t. It don’t matter. I get ideas and inspiration to make things from viewing other folks gear. I ain’t no craftsman, that’s for sure, but I enjoy making stuff for muzzleloaders. Maybe you could share a picture of some of your homemade gear?

I hope to stage that rifle in a picture with a deer later this year. Do you have any hunting pictures to share? Would like to see them if you do.

Do you have an musket pictures? I like muskets!

Thanks!
Well done on your deer practice, Banjoman. And thanks for staging that image, along with your practice target. It gives a reader an idea of your shooting capability (as well as your rifle's); plus, it's always nice to see another's perspective of kit. I look forward to seeing the results of the hunt. You'll bring home the venison with that grouping.

Pete

Last edited:
Aim Small.
Don't shoot at the paper(deer),
Shoot at the middle of the paper(deers heart),
I've been wearing glasses since I was 12, they improve your vision, if you stay current with the prescription. (eyes change)

Ya know, our family never has taken pictures of harvests, even the old photo's of my ancestors, Not sure why really,
Humility(?), respect for the game,,(?) Killing something and eating it is part of all our lives, glorifying that just never made sense I guess.
A "Trophy" might be different, but spike bucks, fork horns and fat does aren't trophies,, neither is a limit of crappies, squirrel, duck, or a turkey.
Even that 9're I got with the bow,, I got his rack,, but no pictures of the dead animal and the tools I used to kill him.
We didn't carry cameras in our pocket like today, the "phone" hung on the wall at home.
It's food ya harvest, process and eat,, :dunno:
Have to admit, I take photos. Before and after. I respect the animal; eat em too. I hunt alone, usually, and an image is a good way of sharing the hunt. And of course, there's the sceptical mates - if there's no evidence, it didn't happen! 😄 When I can no longer hunt, a single malt and a good revision of the images may well do me good. Beautiful, aren't they?

Pete

Early Chital.jpg
Birding Chital.jpg
Venison.jpg

Have to admit, I take photos. Before and after. I respect the animal; eat em too. I hunt alone, usually, and an image is a good way of sharing the hunt. And of course, there's the sceptical mates - if there's no evidence, it didn't happen! 😄 When I can no longer hunt, a single malt and a good revision of the images may well do me good. Beautiful, aren't they?

Pete

View attachment 245477View attachment 245478View attachment 245479
Well said, Aussie Pete and a nice critter, too.

Keep practicing. One small suggestion. Have you recovered your patches? T-shirt fabric is pretty weak. Go to a tighter weave cloth, like cotton drill. It may get you your 2" groups at 50 yards.

ADK Bigfoot
I did recover some of the patches and they looked okay, as far as I could tell. I may try your suggestion. I’ve never measured material, just looked for something cotton that would work. I still have a lot to learn about this hobby.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I grew up fishing and hunting, but all my hunting was with modern firearms. I just got into traditional muzzleloaders a few years ago. Making accoutrements, flints, round balls and such is almost as fun as shooting. Almost.

I started squirrel hunting with a flintlock smooth bore about three or four years ago and it’s all I use for squirrels now. Ain’t nothing like it.

I have always deer hunted with modern firearms. I’ve yet to shoot a deer with a traditional muzzleloader. Maybe this year?

Last edited:
@tenngun , great idea on the ball starter. @Banjoman Thanks for sharing!

It's not all about the kill. It's the stories and memories and getting together with friends and family. I am lucky. Hunting seasons bring us together to sit on the porch with my friends, my son and grandson all sharing said stories and memories and the beauty of the Creator's handy work!

Always in awe!
DanL

I agree I need more practice! I never get enough! How good it would be to shoot enough to wear that gun or any gun completely out! I still got lead and powder I’ve never used.

My eyesight ain’t what it used to be back when I was a young, stout infantry soldier. Even with my glasses, 50 yards is a long distance for me.🙁

As for the gear, some folks like looking at that stuff, same as I do. Some folks don’t. It don’t matter. I get ideas and inspiration to make things from viewing other folks gear. I ain’t no craftsman, that’s for sure, but I enjoy making stuff for muzzleloaders. Maybe you could share a picture of some of your homemade gear?

I hope to stage that rifle in a picture with a deer later this year. Do you have any hunting pictures to share? Would like to see them if you do.

Do you have an musket pictures? I like muskets!

Thanks!
Well I’ll tell you what, I’d be happy with that if it was my off hand at fifty yards. D~~n my eyes if I wouldn’t be happy with that off a rest. That group will turn Bambi French every day of the week

I did recover some of the patches and they looked okay, as far as I could tell. I may try your suggestion. I’ve never measured material, just looked for something cotton that would work. I still have a lot to learn about this hobby.

Thanks!
Might want to try some pillow ticking. I've had very good luck with it.

Back