• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help with tools for Jim Chambers Class

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeutonicHeathen

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I am new to muzzleloader building. I am attending a Jim Chambers class in about a week or so. I need help with a place to pick up the tools. Here is a list. Is there a website where I can get most of these supplies? Links to everything would really help me out too. Thanks for bearing with a newb new to building.
1. Plastic Mallet and Ball Peen Hammer, What size?
2. Surform, What size?
3. File Card?
4. Assorted Files, Small rat tail 6", 6" mill bastard? Links to these would really help because I have no idea.
5. Tap & Wrench, 8X32 two flute tap and appropriate wrench, again a link would help greatly.
6. Jewelers saw and blades
7. Parallel Clamp, need help picking one out. 6-7" size wise I beleive
8. 1/16 Punch
9. Square and Straight edge
10. Cutting Oil? Where and what kind?
11. Opti Visor?
12. Center Punch
13. Counter Sink Bit, What size and where to buy?
14. Number drill bits # 29 & #18? again no idea what that is or where to buy.

I suggest a trip to your local hometown hardware store - they can hook you up with everything on your list. You may need to go to a hobby store for the jewelers saw.

TeutonicHeathen
Black Hand pretty much hit the nail on the head as for where to buy your tools.
Yes, there are similar tools available from specialty companies but they will cost a lot more money and at this stage, you really don't need them.

Comments on your tool list:

1: Not too big. A 8 or 12 ounce will be plenty.

2: A small surform. You'll know it when you see it.

3.File cards have hundreds of little wires standing up. They are used to clean the stuff out of the files teeth.

4. Get a 6 or 8 inch bastard file and a 8 ot 10 inch mill file. The names describe the roughness of the teeth with the mill file having more teeth per inch than the bastard.
Follow this link and read it. http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/9066/post/9066/fromsearch/1/#9066

5. The tap cuts the threads. The tap wrench clamps on the tap to turn it. IMO you will need a #8-32, #8-36, #10-24, #10-32 and a 1/4-28 tap.
The wrench will drive all of these taps.
They can be bought as a set or individually. I recommend buying each size individually.

6. This is a super fine bladed coping saw. Hobby shops are the best place to shop.

7. One or two simple adjustable 6 or10 inch bar clamps will do. Parallel clamps are pretty specialized and really shouldn't be needed.

8. This is a "pin punch" with a smooth cylindrical end on it. It is used for driving out small pins.

9. A 12 inch combination square will work. The blade can be removed to serve as a straight edge.
It can also be used to define 45 and 90 degree angles for layout work.

10. The cutting oil is "Thread Cutting Oil", a special sulfured oil that is used to lubricate your taps. This keeps them from grabbing and breaking.

11. A magnifier built into a head band. It's handy for seeing small detail but if you have good eyesight you probably don't need it.
I don't see "safety glasses" on your list.
Be sure to buy some to protect your eyes from flying dust, metal chips and small flying parts.

12. Get a small pointed punch. It is used to make small indentations to position your drill bit in just the right place for drilling holes.

13. Counter sink bits come in both 3/8" and 1/2" sizes. They form the angular seats for flat head screws to rest in. Either size will work. Get the one with the 82 degree included angle.

14. Drill bits come in fractional sizes, number sizes and letter sizes. The ones you will need to form the holes for the taps I mentioned above are:
#29 (.136 dia) for the #8-32 and the #8-24 tap
#25 (.1495 dia) for the #10-24 tap
#21 (.1590 dia) for the #10-32 tap
#3 (.213 dia) for the 1/4-28 tap.

You didn't mention it but I strongly recommend buying a 0-6 inch dial caliper.
It measures outside, inside and depth features to an accuracy of one thousandths of an inch (.001).

Not only can it be used to verify that you have the right size tap drill in your hand before you use it but it can be used for scribing precision lines (with the inside feature measuring points)and quickly measuring all sorts of things accurately.

Harbor Freight sells some electronic digital calipers and they work but often the battery will go dead just when you need it most.
I recommend spending a few more dollars and buying the kind with a round analog dial that doesn't need any power other than that supplied by your hands.
These can range in price from $8 to $300 but one that costs about $15-$20 will serve you well for years.

Last edited by a moderator:
And a big glass of sweet tea......wish someday I could got to one of Jims classes. I could re-learn some things the easy/right way......tomtom has taught me stuff the wrong way......cats lie! :youcrazy:

Marc n tomtom

Teut,
First rule in gun building..... Don't buy a tool till you need it.
I've got probably $2000.00 worth of tools that were a great idea at the time, but have really never used.
For example, Zonie is giving you advise for several tap sizes, but you really only need one for this class. 8-32. And the appropriate tap, and clearance bits. #29 and 18.
Second, we don't know your background, but it seems that you don't have much working knowledge of these hand tools.
Most guys either have, or at least recognize what these tools are from working with their hands, before starting gun building.
While Chambers rifle "kits" are the best available, they still require some working skills to complete. These are NOT snap together kits, but a group of parts,that must be fitted together with some woodworking and metalworking skills.
I don't want to discourage you, but you need to know what you're getting into.
I'd hate to see you spend all that money, and then pay someone to finish your gun.
Good luck.

He is at an advantage, as the tools will be used in a class setting. Even so, the hand-tool learning curve for those unfamiliar can be steep...

I attended Jim's lock building class a few years back, it was outstanding. I got most of my stuff from Brownells.

One tip; You will be building a lock in the class and it will in all likely hood turn out to be the best lock you will ever have. If you have a rifle you would like to replace the old lock with make sure to take the old lock to class with you. That way you can use it as a pattern.

Or if you are building a new rifle from scratch that you would like to use the lock you build for make sure you make a good pattern of your lock mortise with you so you can cutout the lock plate.

It did this with a TVM Leman I had. I took the
L&R lock with me from the rifle and build a new lock in class to replace it. Talk about smooth and fast.

have fun

Rio

I absolutely love Brownells and have bought gunsmithing tools, parts and supplies from them since the 1970's. Though you probably do not have time to order a catalog and then order stuff from it for your class, I strongly advise you spend the $5.00 for the catalog. Reading the descriptions in print is very useful. Sometimes it is hard to find something on their website unless you have a hard copy catalog. http://www.brownells.com/shooting-...s-catalogs/brownells-reg-catalog-prod315.aspx

Here is their general online link: http://www.brownells.com/aspx/general/catalogs.aspx

However for standard tools used in metal and woodworking professions, you can find the same tools and don't cost as much. So check to see if you can buy the same tool locally or from MSC. I go to MSC to buy a lot of stuff that is not usually stocked locally. https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/t...cmp=MilwaukeeCoop_HomePage_Slider4_May2015_v1

A couple of special recommendations:

8. 1/16 Punch - Buy Sears Craftsman as they have a lifetime warranty. I bought my first in 1972 and stopped counting at the 43rd free replacement, I also quit counting on the 28th time I replaced the second. I have almost a half dozen in various states of use right now. I suggest you buy two so you can shorten one for a starting punch. However, the smallest size reground "Nail Set" will also work for a starting punch.
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-1-16-x-4-in-pin-punch/p-00942881000

11. Opti Visor?

These are WONDERFUL for close up work, even if you have good eyes. They are WAY better than cheaper ones because they have optically ground lenses. You need to know that their focal distance differs by the magnification, though. That means at what distance between your eye and magnified object is in focus. Most people find the second or third one down the list work best for gun work:

Here is a link that explains about them: http://www.doneganoptical.com/products/optivisor

Here is a link to buy them. http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-...s/no-5-optivisor-sku255005000-5769-13791.aspx

I put off adding the optional eye loupe for years, but after finally buying one, I wish I had done it years before. They may be out of stock now, but it is worthwhile to backorder one or buy it later. Very simple to add to your Opti Visor: http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-...e-prod25612.aspx?avs|Manufacturer_1=OPTIVISOR

Gus

Last edited by a moderator:
I count myself fortunate that I live less than an hours drive from Brownells.

I plan on making a visit there in a few weeks.

I know the Ace and Tru-Value Hardware stores in my area carry number drill bits.

Tractor Supply carries small bottles of cutting oil, the hardware stores may have it too.

Looks like you have plenty of advise on what to get and where to get it. I attend classes like this at least once a year, like the NMLRA gunsmithing seminar, have been doing so for several years. My advise is get what you can off of that list but, don't break the bank. The other students in your class and Jim will have everything else you may need and will gladly let you borrow whatever. In fact I suspect you may leave at the end of the week with more tools then you arrived with. Your issue may come once you get home with a gun 3/4 finished and you will need a certain tool. At that point buy what you need.

Thanks for all the help everybody! I bought all the tools needed on the list. I figured most of it out. Some stuff I had and some I didn't need. I can't wait to start the class. I'm building a chambers smooth bore fowler in 20 gauge. Will be my first flintlock and smoothbore

Back