• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rifle Building Classes?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pipascus

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Good afternoon,
I have had a Jim Chambers Mark Silver rifle kit since 2006 and still haven't finished it. Part of it has been because of life, but much of the reason is fear of drilling the flash hole etc., especially if I still need to inlet the barrel more and it then becomes misaligned. I really want to shoot this thing and get into muzzle-loading already!!!!
I haven't even bought a bullet mold yet because I got two sizes of roundball to see which works better, and then I can get a mold.

Anyway...

Anyone know of classes that one can take to get help with this? I'd like to build more flintlocks afterwards: rifles and smoothbores (I am in love with the Fusil de Chasse). I've seen some workshops before, but not sure where to go. I live in Arizona/White Mountains.

Here is how far I have gotten. DId this work back in 2006/2007 and it went in a box until like two years ago.

Thanks,
Joe

Attachments

• MyRifle.jpg
    MyRifle.jpg
    267.6 KB · Views: 6
  • MyRifle2.jpg
    MyRifle2.jpg
    241.3 KB · Views: 0
  • MyRifle3.jpg
    MyRifle3.jpg
    276.4 KB · Views: 0
  • MyRifle4.jpg
    MyRifle4.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 0
  • MyRifle5.jpg
    MyRifle5.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 0
  • MyRifle6.jpg
    MyRifle6.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 0
  • MyRifle7.jpg
    MyRifle7.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Just pick up where you left off and keep at it until you get everything the way you like it. The flash hole the very last thing that you need to worry about doing. Once the rifle is together and finished, then mark and dimple the center top above the pan, take a good 1/16” drill bit, take your barrel off, clamp it in your vise and drill the marked hole. Then put the barrel back on and have some fun!

Just pick up where you left off and keep at it until you get everything the way you like it. The flash hole the very last thing that you need to worry about doing. Once the rifle is together and finished, then mark and dimple the center top above the pan, take a good 1/16” drill bit, take your barrel off, clamp it in your vise and drill the marked hole. Then put the barrel back on and have some fun!
That sounds simple enough.
Maybe I'm overthinking it.
I have a flash hole liner thing that screws on, so I have to drill and tap a hole to screw the flashole liner in. That's the part that scares me. But you're right: I can just do everything else and that's last anyway.

That sounds simple enough.
Maybe I'm overthinking it.
I have a flash hole liner thing that screws on, so I have to drill and tap a hole to screw the flashole liner in. That's the part that scares me. But you're right: I can just do everything else and that's last anyway.
You don’t have to install a liner, a 1/16” hole will do fine. But, once you have the 1/16” hole correctly drilled that becomes your pilot hole. Find out what drill and tap size is required from your kit maker, drill the pilot hole with the proper bit, the use the tap to cut the threads. Either way, it’s the last thing you need to do before firing your rifle.

You don’t have to install a liner, a 1/16” hole will do fine. But, once you have the 1/16” hole correctly drilled that becomes your pilot hole. Find out what drill and tap size is required from your kit maker, drill the pilot hole with the proper bit, the use the tap to cut the threads. Either way, it’s the last thing you need to do before firing your rifle.
Thanks. True indeed!

Quit thinking about it and just do it. Your head won't fall off if you do it wrong.

Get a copy of Recreating the American Long Rifle by Buchele, Shumway and Alexander. Measure and confirm your placements four times. Check to ensure your drill fixturing is secure and will not move, three times. Then dive in. My first Hawken took about 8 months. My second Lancaster took 15 years because I was afraid of relief carving. The rest have come much easier.

Last edited:
JimChambers sells a DVD on completing his “kits” and his white lightning flash hole liner comes with the drill and tap and instructions, IIRC. It looks like you are fifty percent done. How is the trigger?
Your carving looks good too.
Stick with it. It’s not a race, but it still needs to get done so you can get to shooting.

I like that a lot! You’ve already came very far with it, it seems all the hard work is done. Don’t be afraid of drilling the flash hole liner, do that last like others have said. Take your time and ask questions here if your unsure of your next move. Good luck!

Get a copy of Recreating the American Long Rifle by Buchele, Shumway and Alexander. Measure and confirm your placements four times. Check to ensure your drill fixturing is secure and will not move, three times. Then dive in. My first Hawken took about 8 months. My second Lancaster took 15 years because I was afraid of relief carving. The rest have come much easier.
A great reference tool and a must to have.

Kits have their own challenges. Some books are written for building from a blank. Following those instructions won’t help with kit-specific issues commonly encountered.

You do have some of the more daunting tasks ahead of you; before you put in the touch hole liner you need to install the underlugs and pin the barrel as well as install your tang bolt into the trigger plate. Once you have these tasks done it is time to install your touchhole liner.

Your barrel looks rough, have you draw-filed the flats yet? If not, you need to do this before you do any barrel pinning or tang bolt instillation.

The NMLRA offer classes at WKU Bowling Green KY and there is a 9 day course with Jack Brooks called “Finish what you start”. I sent a novice friend to it a couple years ago and he had a wonderful time and received excellent instruction. I also have attended to finish a Chambers kit.

The Log Cabin has rifle building classes, and on any given Saturday has folks working on their rifles in the shop. Not sure where you're at though.

Latest posts

Back