• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hawken, not Hawkin, not Hawkins

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
All I could find was the book named
"JOHNNY CAN'T REED".

It was about a kind who starved to death after trying to make a living cutting tall grass in a swamp.

Adhering to established grammatical rules and standardized spelling allows us to eschew obfuscation. :haha:

Thought for a minute you'd done it on porpoise...

:wink:

As for Billnpatti, I understand what he's saying but don't know what the heck he's talking about!

"A rose by any other name is still a rose"

We can't even quote Shakespeare correctly here.

I suffer from dislexia, and the fact is hawkins,hawken,hawkens all look the same to me when I'm writing it. As for education I have 3 degrees and a manure load of certs I have to keep up with. When I write on the forum or a note to my wife or such I write informaly. If called on to do so I can write a real paper if I need to and have been published.
I do think we were better off before dan webster stuck his nose in to our spelling. Researching my family history I have found my family name spelled Robinson,Robison,Robson, Rosson,Robbssin.
I can tell you direction most every time, but if you tell me to turn right I have to hold up my right hand so I can se the direction in my head.
Keep in mind it taint been too long since a very well educated person wrote "He made the wyndes blow to scatter myne enemies" Any folk in Ralighe SC can look up how Sir Walter spelled his name.

You get an A++ in my book. I aint't two strick at spellin nor gramerin nether but I shore ain't dummm. GOOD LUCK TO YOU

Both books are long "out of print" (I suspect) & both can likely be borrowed through ILL at your local public library.
(I haven't even seen either book since I left grad school in 1978.)

Btw, Dr. Rudolf Flesh "caught a great deal of flack" about his book titles, as English profs said that, "His titles promoted poor grammar."
(I suspect, but do not know, that many "reviewers" failed to actually read the book.)

yours, satx

Yes, but...but...there's a big difference between miss-spelling Robinson as Robitussin (or whatever) and being sacrilegious and spelling the holy name of Hawken as Hawkin when referring to a Thompson Center (or whatever) replica of a Hawken brand muzzleloader......No wait, this makes no sense. Just as Henry Ford would not be offended if one called a modern day fiberglass body, tube frame, fuel injected, automatic transmission replica of a Model A, a Fiord instead of a Ford, I doubt the Hawken brothers or their descendants are offended when an innocent poster on a forum spells the name of his T/C replica "Hawkins" instead of "Hawken." Now if such poster happened to own an original Hawken rifle and miss-spelled it "Hawkins" maybe we would have something to be really upset about. To those owners of T/C Hawken rifles, I mean no disrespect. I think any reference to a rifle that does not contain an original Hawken barrel as a Hawken is incorrect. You might have or might have built a replica of a Hawken style rifle, but it ain't a Hawken. Just my 2 cents.

sidelock said:
You get an A++ in my book. I aint't two strick at spellin nor gramerin nether but I shore ain't dummm. GOOD LUCK TO YOU
The fact is, some people are just uneducated, ignorant and inept but they use the excuse that they are proud of being "simple folk" to justify the fact they are really ignorant and uneducated. They wear their ignorance as a badge of honor. The truth is, it only appeals to other uneducated, ignorant people. Everyone else sees them for who and what they are. IMO

Jack Wilson said:
sidelock said:
The fact is, some people are just uneducated, ignorant and inept but they use the excuse that they are proud of being "simple folk" to justify the fact they are really ignorant and uneducated. They wear their ignorance as a badge of honor. The truth is, it only appeals to other uneducated, ignorant people. Everyone else sees them for who and what they are. IMO
Right now I have an alpha-bit soup behind my name. So far I have found the only people who care about letters are those that have some or want some.I grew up in New Mexico and knew a lot of Basque,Navajo,Hispanic and old cowboys. Since then I moved to the ozarks and know a few sterotypical hillbillies. Some of the wisest people I have ever known could hardly read. A few could not read at all. Yet they could think clearer then pHDs I have known.

"I've never seen so many rationalizations and excuses for poor grammar and misspelling than in this thread. No wonder kids are doing poorly in school today, if this is what they have at home."

I agree.
There's a big difference between a reason and an excuse.

Translated:

Theirs a big diferance betwean a rezon and a excus.

Grammar and spelling DO say something about a person.

Holy Batcrackers, I'm getting a headache just reading all this...where the hell did all the fun shooting muzzleloaders go?

sidelock said:

This is not a jibe at anyone but, under usual circumstances, given the lack of evidence to the contrary, if you were dummm how would you know you're not? Think about this...

Look at how dopey the average person is. Then realize half of them are stupider than that! See what I mean!? A newbie here, for example, is prolific and this very issue is particularly the case.

dmills said:
Yes, but...but...there's a big difference between miss-spelling Robinson as Robitussin (or whatever) and being sacrilegious and spelling the holy name of Hawken as Hawkin when referring to a Thompson Center (or whatever) replica of a Hawken brand muzzleloader......No wait, this makes no sense. Just as Henry Ford would not be offended if one called a modern day fiberglass body, tube frame, fuel injected, automatic transmission replica of a Model A, a Fiord instead of a Ford, I doubt the Hawken brothers or their descendants are offended when an innocent poster on a forum spells the name of his T/C replica "Hawkins" instead of "Hawken." Now if such poster happened to own an original Hawken rifle and miss-spelled it "Hawkins" maybe we would have something to be really upset about. To those owners of T/C Hawken rifles, I mean no disrespect. I think any reference to a rifle that does not contain an original Hawken barrel as a Hawken is incorrect. You might have or might have built a replica of a Hawken style rifle, but it ain't a Hawken. Just my 2 cents.

So much grist for the mill here. Will say this...

Many Hawken self-proclaimed "experts," perhaps those who think The Fur of the Museum Trade is much more than a roadside toursit trap for example, INSIST Hawken not be used with other than original guns despite who may have made a particular barrel for the brother(s) in any instance.

And calling a modern Hawken-class gun a Hawken in that context is, of course, fine. To use your automobile reference someone also used that term first. Can we not apply it to every car today however different!? It's only this Hawken thing that gets the internet parrots flighty...

If I was looking for a hawken in a dark room and found something that felt like a hawken how could I know it was not a hawkin?

If I was looking for a hawken in a dark room and actually found a hawken, how could I know it was the hawken I was looking for?

If I was in a dark room looking for a hawken using a flashlight, wait, why would a hawken be using a flashlight? Ok, if I was looking for a hawkin with a flashlight...... no not that neither, Dowgonnit.

If I was in a dark room looking for a sidelock muzzleloading plains rifle manufactured in the vicinity of St. Louis at some point prior to the middle of the 19th century but after the end of the 18th century built by some folks named sumthin like hawken, shouldn't I just pull the chain on the light fixture and illuminate the room so I would not bump into someone looking for a black cat?

Depends on what time it is EDT? Makes as much (more really) since as those calling others ignorant for not properly punctuating in a muzzle loading forum though. :confused:

Shakespere's "Romeo and Juliet, Act II, Scene 2" Juliet says "What's in a name? that which we call a rose By any other name would smell as sweet;"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back