• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hawken, not Hawkin, not Hawkins

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Educated and Smart. Learned and dumb. Hmmm smartest man I ever met was a KY farmer with a 3rd grade education. He could add a list of 3-4 digit numbers in his head quicker than my educated brother (who was the 2nd smartest I ever met) using a calculator. And I suppose if he wanted to spell a half stalk muzzle loading rifle a Hawkin (not in spell checker) VS Hawken (not in spell checker) nobody that knew him would have much cared. He could do anything and everything he needed done better and faster than anybody. And no... he didn't need to build a bridge or get to the moon.

When I knew him I had never shot a black powder gun but if I had and needed help he would be the one to go to, like all the knowledge in this forum in a single old guy. And he could tell ya how to make soap and salt cure a hog and whatever else you needed. Unless you were broke down on the road by his farm and needed to get to the moon?

After all this is a traditional muzzle loading forum, not an educational site (least that's why I drop by) kinda.... :eek:ff

azmntman said:
Still Hawkens or Hawkins, for the forum here, we all know what both are and both are the same?? I don't correct all mistakes all the time here, for those I annoy...SORRY
And, for the record, I don't care what grammar or spelling is used on the Forum. I was commenting on this from an academic standpoint, not as it relates to this Forum. :v

My grandmother from Norway could have easily had the same name progression as she moved into more Anglicized communities.

Uglahagen, Hagen (stopped at this one), Hawken, or Hawkin, or something to that effect.

It is a name that identifies with a particular type of percussion rifle, and yes it better to spell it correctly, but some people do not.

Maybe they were just typing in a hurry and it did not keep up to their train of thought. I still know what they mean.

And if you want to spell the Ford automobile, "Fird", "Fard", Ferd" or "Furd", it's a reflection of no one but you. :rotf:

Claude said:
Jack Wilson said:
And if you want to spell the Ford automobile, "Fird", "Fard", Ferd" or "Furd", it's a reflection of no one but you. :rotf:
You forgot "Foured". :wink:

Touche!

Wait... Am I spelling that right? :grin:

Cpl. Ashencheeks said:
Claude said:
Jack Wilson said:
You forgot "Foured". :wink:

Touche!

Wait... Am I spelling that right? :grin:
Almost... touché :grin:

Ever seen a Foured F-150 for sale?

Isn't the term 'Foured' being hit in the back of the head with an accidently misdirected flying golf ball?

Nope that's fored. :rotf: Words that sound the same are lots of fun. Even in Canada we have the right to bare arms. It's kind of chilly in winter though.

flehto said:
American English is a dynamic language...always in a state of flux. Because of this, "American" is spoken by people in many countries and in technology vocabulary, we're the world's leader and most of our new "technical" words and terms are adopted worldwide.

This process of adding new words to the American vocabulary wouldn't be possible in some languages because of their rigid structure. American English is a very versatile language and can assimilate many different changes as evidenced in vocabulary and useage that weren't in exsistence a few years ago.

I also think our constantly changing language displays a trait of the American people.... we're willing to accept new ideas.

Rigidness in thinking doesn't tolerate "changes" and some bemoan the adoption of new words and terms while I think it's a healthy sign.

....Fred

Taint neither! :haha:

Jack Wilson said:
I realize that some don't even know how to use the dictionary and it shows. (Present company on the forum accepted)

LOL You may accept us but you meant "excepted."

That link made me grin so wide the sides of my mouth are hanging over my ears.

Can you imagine what that might have looked like on the script?

dmills said:
I've been calling my GPR a Great Planes Rifle. I hope no one is offended by that. :stir:
You have deeply offended my honor, sir. My second will be contacting yours for a duel at dawn! (Can we use your "dualing" pistols?) :thumbsup:

There is a difference between education and intelligence. I have worked with some of the dumbest yet educated. I have also worked with some of the least educated yet smartest out there. I'll take smart any day. (As a disclaimer,I have some letters after my name)

Alden said:
Jack Wilson said:
I realize that some don't even know how to use the dictionary and it shows. (Present company on the forum accepted)

LOL You may accept us but you meant "excepted."
:rotf: Got me. Now where is my dictionary? :redface:

A gun dealer by the name of Hawkins decided to sell muzzleloaders. So we had Hawkins hawking Hawkens.

At least half of this problem is our, "gubmint apruvd publick screwl edumakashun sistim".
(I plead "guilty as charged" to having been an English major long, long, ago.)

You might want to look at the famous book: JOHNNY CAN'T READ
and
Its sequel: JOHNNY'S FOLKS DON'T READ NEITHER.

yours, satx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back