• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Hawken, not Hawkin, not Hawkins

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It was a tongue in cheek in response to Cynthialee's posting on page one of this thread.

I just had a look at some of the finest, most educated minds from both Connecticut and Kentucky universities this morning.

I am pretty sure some of them are English majors, and maybe some will even know how to spell Hawken in reference to gun making siblings, as soon as their hangovers are finished and bail is posted.

azmntman said:
So yer a public defender?? :rotf:

Nope, but I used to be a carpet cleaner.

Kids like that meant good business and lots of money, although, it did make our machines smell really bad. :grin:

As usual, these long winded discussions end up w/ a bunch of nonsense and a waste of time to those who "click" on the topic, expecting some semblance of info pertaining to the topic. The urge to participate even though the subject has been "wrung out", is just plain overwhelming to some.

I think we're :dead:.....Fred

azmntman said:
Depends on what time it is EDT? Makes as much (more really) since as those calling others ignorant for not properly punctuating in a muzzle loading forum though. :confused:
Punctuation can be very important. :grin:

"Let's eat, Grandpa".

"Let's eat Grandpa".

Tenngun, your dyslexia alot explains -- it's TRIGS eat you like to. Whew!

" In response to 2571

I suffer from dislexia, and the fact is hawkins,hawken,hawkens all look the same to me when I'm writing it. As for education I have 3 degrees and a manure load of certs I have to keep up with. When I write on the forum or a note to my wife or such I write informaly. If called on to do so I can write a real paper if I need to and have been published.
I do think we were better off before dan webster stuck his nose in to our spelling. Researching my family history I have found my family name spelled Robinson,Robison,Robson, Rosson,Robbssin.
I can tell you direction most every time, but if you tell me to turn right I have to hold up my right hand so I can se the direction in my head.
Keep in mind it taint been too long since a very well educated person wrote "He made the wyndes blow to scatter myne enemies" Any folk in Ralighe SC can look up how Sir Walter spelled his name."

What's this got to do with R&J?

the post was about the spelling of hawken. It wondered into mispelling in genral. We all have our talents we all have our weeknesses. One of Mine is spelling. I also type one finger at a time and pooly at that. Some post developed on this thread infered folks who mispelled it were poorly educated. So I offeered an excuse for my mispelling. The connections that tell me a word is mispelled dosn't work real well in my head. If fact writing this I had to look up at the top to get hawken spelled right.
I learned when I got into this sport that hawkens were few and far between in the MM time, the period I was reinacting, So I haven't learned a lot about them. I can tell classic hawkens when I have seen them, and have seen a lot of Hawkens gun that didn't look like classic.
I try to read what a person is saying and not pay to much attention to how he said it. And I cant tell most of the time if a poster misspelled a word.
We all have our pet peeves.The op most likly knows a lot more about hawkens then I do.But I would like him to know that I dont misspell it out of ignorence, nor do I do it to rattle te cage of of the guys that are really into hawkens."I jest don't know no better" :rotf:
I wasn't responding to your rose post I was just next in line.

Once heard this conversation. Jim (to electrical foreman Bob) do it like this. Bob (to Jim) No, that is not right. Jim ----- I'll have you know I'm a PHD from MIT. Bob------ well that rimes good, but this is the way we will do it. True story. Bob was right. I knew both men for many years and Bob was smarter. I'm pretty sure Bob knew he was smarter.

Cpl. Ashencheeks said:
Claude said:
Jack Wilson said:
And if you want to spell the Ford automobile, "Fird", "Fard", Ferd" or "Furd", it's a reflection of no one but you. :rotf:
You forgot "Foured". :wink:

Touche!

Wait... Am I spelling that right? :grin:

Wait again. We forgot "Fowed" as in "Fowed Winkin Mewkewy"

Bob

I feel much like the guy who threw the first punch, then ducked out of the bar and stood outside to watch the fight.

OWED TO THE SPELL CHECKER

I have a spelling checker -
It came with my PC
It plane lee marks four my revue
Miss steaks aye can knot sea

Eye ran this poem threw it,
Your sure reel glad two no.
Its vary polished in it's weigh -
My checker tolled me sew.

A checker is a bless sing.
It freeze yew lodes of thyme.
It helps me awl stiles two reed,