• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hawken, not Hawkin, not Hawkins

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
One HOPES that even fiction is written in such a manner as to NOT cause knowledgeable people to LOL AT the author.

yours, satx

Didn't mean to take this off topic. I'd have been upset if somebody came back with a .30 and I wanted a .50 -- what a meathead!

I don't think I've ever seen the whole movie (it is SO unwatchable) but remember a scene like that from SOME movie.

Rod L said:
tenngun said:
I think it was a .30 in the movie, I also think the writers confused caliber with bore.
James Mitchner, in the book "Centennial", makes the same mistake.

Rod

up until the 1850's when caliber began to denote the bore's diameter in inches, caliber/calibre was synonymous with bore/gauge size = calibre was the original French term for bore/gauge.
Thus the confusion by those who did not thoroughly research the term as applied "in period"
As noted by Tenngun, in period a 30 caliber/bore/gauge rifle was at the time equivalent to the 50 caliber desired.

The Hawken shop, while noted for it's mountain rifles, also made rifles for the local trade (and not just for women or children) in the smaller caliber/bores - today known by collectors as Hawken squirrel rifles

The brothers were trained in Maryland style and there is a couple of "pre-mountain" style kicking around that look like a Maryland rifle but with the more (recognized) trigger guard (maybe a "transitional Hawken style" if you like).

So no doubt, their father's influence was alive and well (even if he was already dead), at least in the early days of their partnership.

The so called "Hawken Squirrel" rifles have popped up in 36, 38 and 40 caliber (and probably were built even in even smaller calibers as well).

The are most easily recognized by only having 1 barrel key (if half-stock, which was common), but there is at least one surviving full-stock out there in 40 cal).

However, even with the squirrel rifles, not one in flint - so the rock-locker's have to continue their quest for the grail :)

LaBonte said:
As noted by Tenngun, in period a 30 caliber/bore/gauge rifle was at the time equivalent to the 50 caliber desired.
I don't know when the shift in terms took place, but in 1789 in England, Wm. Cleator wrote:

*In speaking of the size of the caliber we mean by 22 or 24 that so many balls exactly fitting it weigh just one pound and every caliber is marked in the fame way."

So at that time caliber was still used as we use bore or gauge. In that system, 30 caliber is .5667" or .57 caliber, today.

Spence

Not that it matters much but my roundball computer program says a 30 is a .538 diameter ball.

In any case, it twarnt no small bore gun they were talking about. :grin:

Well, I'm glad we use caliber now.

Otherwise I would have a 51 bore on my bench (45 cal) that is replacing my 72 or 73 bore (40 cal) as my Bambi rifle.

Alden said:
Didn't mean to take this off topic. I'd have been upset if somebody came back with a .30 and I wanted a .50 -- what a meathead!

I don't think I've ever seen the whole movie (it is SO unwatchable) but remember a scene like that from SOME movie.
That is it Alden! Turn in your powder! And you call yourself a muzzleloader?!
:stir:

I did see a photo of Geo Washingtons pistols. The photo called them 32 calibur...they were .54. Eckert in his winning of america books often calls a musket or fusil 'rifle',Redman writing as alexander kent , often writes of the thick black smoke from a ships broadside. Sometimes we just have to shut our eyes for a second then go on...."Silk another 40 yards"

Zonie said:
Not that it matters much but my roundball computer program says a 30 is a .538 diameter ball.
As they say, the first liar doesn't have a chance.

Spence

I checked my figures, Zonie, and my number was incorrect. It should have been .5376, the same as yours. Thanks for the correction.

Spence

Cynthialee said:
Go get'm girl! I laughed so hard at this! Man Alden, grits are the least of your problems if you get Cynthialee after you! :rotf:

Zonie said:
In any case, it twarnt no small bore gun they were talking about. :grin:

and my bad memory - I should have that a 30 bore/gauge gun is equal to a .54" (nominal) caliber

Wes/Tex said:
Cynthialee said:
Go get'm girl! I laughed so hard at this! Man Alden, grits are the least of your problems if you get Cynthialee after you! :rotf:

I know... LOL

They really are awful movies. Could never sit through 'em. I can barely get through the opening credits and the bad music. There was a Heston one too that was unwatchable. I actually owned these on VCR. And whereas you guys probably own the soundtracks on 8-Track I gave 'em away without ever having been able to stomach them (kinda like grits) in their entirety.

They are all SO insultingly bad -- just unwatchable -- sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back