• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hawken #11 vs musket caps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hardykev

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I see where it is possible to change the TC Hawkens to use musket caps vs the #11 caps.

Is this overkill or a good idea?

Although I have had some cap pops without the gun firing my T/C Hawkens, they were usually on my first fouling shots and I blame them on oil in the breech more than anyting else. (yes, I popped several caps but still had problems) These have always occured when I was using standard #11 caps. Using #11 Magnum caps I haven't had a problem.
The Musket Caps are pretty high priced and not always available from the local sporting goods stores so I would have to wonder if changing to a system that needs them is really worth the fuss.
just my 2 cents worth.

I also used CCI#11's with Pyrodex in my TC Hawkens years ago, and decided to experiment with musket caps.
But I found that the size of the hammer cup on a TC Hawken is barely large enough to come down over a musket cap, and if the hammer alignment is just slightly off, it would not strike evenly down on the cap, giving unreliable ignition worse than the normal #11 caps...I didn't want to get into bending hammers and all that, etc.
Then the CCI#11 magnums came out, I switched to them and never had a problem after that, so I abandoned the musket cap idea.

Thanks for the feedback.

I have both types of caps on hand for my Colt 1860 replica and my 1863 Sharps replica, so stock is no issue.

Looking at the hammer, I can see the concern for fit of the musket cap. I'll keep using the magnum 11s.

Thanks again.

I like the musket caps for two reasons...

1. The larger caps are easy to see, a plus when you get older.

2. The larger caps are easy to handle with cold fingers.

I believe it's overkill and I believe that because I've never had any problem with standard No. 11s. If you have a problem it's something else like a plugged nipple, fouled channel, oiled powder, not using real black powder, etc. Standard caps have been used for a long time, BP isn't harder to light now than it used to be.
Deadeye

I saw a musket cap nipple a the store for $3.95, so I thought that I'd try it. I bought a tin of mus
grin.gif
ket caps (100 for $4.95). I put the new nipple on my gun and dry fired it with the musket cap only. Wow! it barked like a .22 rifle! Then I went out to the back 40 and started shooting. I noticed how easy the musket cap is to pick up and handle vs the #11. Important in cold wheather. Then I started shooting. Beautiful ignition every time. With a huge fire ball flying into the powder, how could it be otherwise. I've seen the light; I'm a believer. As a hunter, I want my gun to fire when I want it to. An easy switch to musket caps will make this happen. Try it, you'll like it!

I've used RWS #11 caps for over three decades with very few misfires or hangfires. I read a study/report done for the Buckskin Report many years ago and in it tests showed that RWS caps produce fewer misfires (dead caps) than any other brand and a but more consistant amount of pressure.

Now I say Buckskin Report, it has ben a lot of years. What matters is the consistancy of the cap, and in fairness I suppose some of the competition has improved.

Latest posts

Back