• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Black powder substitute in TC hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The reason I am looking at this is I would like to take this gun to south africa. Can't bring powder or caps on the plane even though you can bring loaded cartridges. I have heard you can't get black powder over there.

Will a black powder substitute reliably fire in a TC hawken with #11 percussion caps?

The TC Hawken is said to be the most finicky in ignition but I shot a whole lot of pyrodex in mine with various #11 caps and had no problems.

Two years ago I and my SIL along with two grandsons shot a 25 shot aggregate match together. I shot Scheutzen but the other three shot t7 and CCI caps in two GPRs and a Traditions Deer Hunter. So that's 75 shots plus a few practice shots. The had ZERO ignition problems.

FjVFrCx.jpg

Just so you know what you have going on inside the breech .

My TC 50 Hawken and TC 58 Big Boar work great with Triple 7 3F and regular CCI caps. My TC Cougar however does not fully ignite the powder, I get some weird turbo charger effect, it's funny actually, but it works great with real black powder.

I have zero problems with my rifles shooting pyrodex and standard #11 caps
I have shot a lot of Pyrodex with no problem as long as I flush the oil out before shooting the rifle.It is post vilifying synthetic powders that send the wrong message. There are a lot of us that couldn't shoot if it wasn't for Pyrodex?

Latest posts

Back