• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Has anyone rebuilt a muzzle loading gun that has been through a fire?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I picked her up last week, just getting ready to bring her back on the plane to SA, next trip back. Will sort out the lock next. I have to get a replacement ball mould, .71 and they seem to be hard to get at the moment, last one I bought from Track of the Wolf, just a bag mould, but fine for this rifle. Will also have to re proof the barrel, but won't do than till I am able to cast ball for herView attachment 179072
I know that this is an older post, But it came up again on my alert. So I took a cloesr look at the PHOTO , What caught my eye is the BARREL LENGHT. It looks to me like What I would call a Hawkin style stock, With a super long BARREL , How long is it ? DEFINETLY COOL ,,,Should be a Tack driver.Congratulations on an VERY neat rebuild.....Be Safe>>>>>>>>>Wally

Last edited:
Proofed her today, all well, fired 5 rounds off hand, shoots as well as ever. Bore needs a bit of a clean up, again, but more shooting should sort it out. Its not actually a tack driver, 1 in 110 inches twist, 120 grains of of two F brings the point of impact up to the point of aim at 50 yards. |It was a short range smasher for Tiger in the scrub, so shooting at extremely short ranges. It will hold about 6 inches at 50 yd off the bench. I really should lap the barrel, but am reluctant to remove the breech plug since the fire. I will have to re Harden and temper the spring on the cap box, . I am so pleased that it has all worked out, to manage to have salvaged another piece from the ravages of the fire. Take note a wrought iron barrel that was not burnt, but just heated enough to scale. A steel barrel would have been permanently ruined. Unfortunately my smooth bore with also a wrought iron barrel is ruined as the iron did in fact get to welding heat and burnt.

I know that this is an older post, But it came up again on my alert. So I took a cloesr look at the PHOTO , What caught my eye is the BARREL LENGHT. It looks to me like What I would call a Hawkin style stock, With a super long BARREL , How long is it ? DEFINETLY COOL ,,,Should be a Tack driver.Congratulations on an VERY neat rebuild.....Be Safe>>>>>>>>>Wally
Barrel is a tad under 34 inches. I will lap the bore as it is chewing patches, likely residual scale in the bore. I will post some targets after I have lapped it. I still have to Harden and temper the cap box spring as its a little weak. I am so please to have manage to resurrect her.

Back