• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Handy 45?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewer12345

40 Cal
Reaction score
I am feeling my age as I deal with some shoulder issues. Slinging a 54 or 58 ball down the range makes me grin, but the need to avoid recoil has me shooting 50 round ball with light charges to take it easy. I have a 45 barrel for a TC Hawken that I need to shoot, but a longer, heavier barrel combined with a curved steel butt plate doesn't make it as easy as I would like. What I'd like to find is something like a 45 cal percussion gun with maybe a 24 inch barrel and a modern buttstock design (not a curved metal butt designed to fit into your bicep). Anything like this exist? I suppose a 40 or 36 would do, but I would have to find another mold.

Yeah, for sure. Unsupported/field position I was not having trouble making deer kill zone shots with my 50 cal Hawken with a 32" barrel at 60 and 70 yards today, but the longer the barrel, the more effort to keep it steady. For target shooting, I was thinking a lighter, handier gun would make sense.

I suppose I should just make the time to put together the CVA Squirrel Rifle kit I found untouched all these years.

Not too long ago I found a Traditions deerhunter rifle in 45 caliber. I got it from deercreek products. It's all the things you describe, 24 inch barrel, sorta modern type butt stock with a bit of a recoil pad. It's definitely my favorite rifle. Very light to carry and more of a push on my shoulder instead of a slap as far as recoil goes. With the 440 ball and 60 grains of 3f Old Ensyford, it's a good load for me.
Deercreek doesn't have any more in stock. I don't know where you could find one.

I have a 45 barrel for a TC Hawken that I need to shoot, but a longer, heavier barrel combined with a curved steel butt plate doesn't make it as easy as I would like.

What I'd like to find is something like a 45 cal percussion gun with maybe a 24 inch barrel and a modern buttstock design (not a curved metal butt designed to fit into your bicep).

You're describing a .45 T/C Cherokee (lower gun, below), which has a 24" bbl, weighs under 6lbs, and the butt can be converted to a "shotgun" butt with a little work.

nvRWMg5m.jpg
RQBIoIdm.jpg

Might I suggest a SMR or Tennessee style in a ‘poor boy/ barn gun configuration. You can have a slim light smaller caliber barrel and since it is poor boy no but plate that is kept flatter then the more traditional crescent
A toe plate and bone,or antler comb piece can serve as butt protection during loading or go all out poor boy and just have a square nail at the comb

I find that a .54 can have really mild recoil if loaded with a smallish charge of FFF. Maybe try it with a 30-40gr charge?

I have 45 caliber T.C, cherokees for the grand kids. they are light weight and easy to handle. But hard to find now!

I cheated and got the shoulder fixed,, hurt for less than 3 months after surgery. After not being able to lift even a 22 pistol I am back to my big guns and flinters.

Surgery was well worth it.

Repair of the rotary cuff or a complete shoulder replacement ? I'm just at 3 months after a complete shoulder replacement and the jury is still out as to what recoil I'll be able to handle.

Thanks
O.R.

I feel your pain. The Traditions Deerhunter in 45 may fit your needs as others have suggested. Lyman makes a Deer Stalker that probably would too but I think they only come in 50 or 54.

I have a project gun started for myself that I hope to use in PA's flintlock season this year. It is a TC Renegade stock ( shotgun style) and a TC Hawken 45 cal Flint barrel. A little bit of Acraglas, a blender, and some patience I hope to have a nice Franken-Thompson.

Thanks
O.R.

NH moose, I feel your pain, three times under the knife left shoulder, it still acts up a bit but I be damn if I will surrender my shooting, Left shoulder, left handed shooter. I have cut back a bit but not too much and I like the big bores.

One other option might be a T/C Renegade, with an aftermarket barrel in the length and caliber of your choice. The Gun Works/Oregon Barrel Co. Makes drop-in barrels to order. Used Renegades are plentiful, and they have a comfortable shotgun butt while still looking reasonably traditional. I suppose Mr. Hoyt might also be able to line the original barrel to a smaller caliber, which would likely be less expensive than a second barrel.

Notchy Bob

Latest posts

Back