• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

gunstock question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tnlonghunter

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey all, I've got four pieces of mahogany in strange proportions. Very nice with great figure, good and dense heartwood. They are all just barely under 2" thick after planing away the rough surface. Here's the odd part: one is the refuse from a guy who made an arched windowframe, so it's about 50" long, straight on one side and curved on the other. The next is same thickness and about 14" by 30". The last two are about 11" by 25" and 5" by 36"

So, is mahogany a useful wood for building gunstocks? I don't think anything is long enough for a longrifle, but either a 1/2 stock or to fit a more modern (gasp) action. If it's not good for stocks has anybody got any ideas for what to do with such nice but very oddly proportioned wood?

mahogany is not that strong. Not good for gunstocks except in an emergency. It resists rot well, so anything that would contact the ground or get wet and dry repeatedly would be good to make of mahogany.

A few years ago I set out to put together a light hunting rifle & made it out of a piece of mahogany. The barrel is 30" long tapered from 1 1/8" to 13/16" in 58 cal. Seems to be holding up OK but I will say it's rather boring looking as far as wood goes. One of the gals from Canada I shoot with allowed that I wasted a fine table.

Back