• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gunsmith of Williamsburg

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes it is. If you ever get the chance to go to Williamsburg the gun made in the vidio is on display there.

I watched that film in about 1970 as a freshman in High School. Called the gift shop at Colonial Williamsburg a year ago and they said they still sold it so I got a video tape of it. It's worth the $25 price. :thumbsup: GW

Do the gunsmiths still produce there? I visited in High school during the Bicentennial and was totally impressed. Their guns at that time sold in the $3-5000 range and they had a 5 year waiting list.

Do the gunsmiths still produce there? I visited in High school during the Bicentennial and was totally impressed. Their guns at that time sold in the $3-5000 range and they had a 5 year waiting list.

I first saw the video in 1972 and was pretty impressed. We visited Colonial Williamsburg around 1984 in July and the place was packed, hard to do any talking with the participants. We went again in Sept a couple of years ago and only had to wait briefly in line one time (Gov. Palace). If you can do it, go in Sept after school has started, you can be one on one with the demonstrators for long periods of time.

Yes the guns are still made there. It is well worth the trip for the overall experience! :thumbsup:

Better check ahead if you want to see the gunsmith. I was there last December on a Saturday and the Gunsmith shop was closed. A little disappointing when that is the #1 shop on your list.

CW produced several videos right around 1969, 70, an d 71. They are all very good for what they were showing based upon the research at that time. The first one in the series that I saw was Hammerman at Williamsburg. It's all about the Blacksmith. Then I saw the Gunsmith, then the Silversmith. A few years ago I then got to see the Cooper, and the Basketmaker. I think there are only two left in the whole series that I haven't seen - the Musical Instrument Maker, and the Colonial Naturalist at Williamsburg. Walter Cronkite narrated them.

Great series. I highly recomment the Gunsmith, Hammerman, Silversmith, and Cooper videos. Lots of good craftsmenship is shown, and in some great workshops and tools.

I don't know if they have converted them to dvd yet. A call out to their gift shop would let you know.

Mikey - yee ol' grumpy German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

Back