• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hello from Ontario, Canada

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome from Quebec.
The way I understand the current Canadian laws any genuine pre 1898 firearm is considered an antique and handguns are included in that description. HOWEVER also as I understand it the moment that you fire that gun in Canada it falls under the restrictions of a modern handgun.
I would strongly suggest that you get confirmation in writing from the RCMP before you fire the first shot. It could save you a whole pile of trouble.
LRSmoker.

Things MIGHT have changed since but for what I read and I quote:

05-08-2012, 04:06 PM
BrotherRockeye

RCMP antique letters only verify that the iron is classed as antique...nothing more.
I put this together as a carry along fact sheet.Should answer most of your questions:

ANTIQUE VERIFIERS NETWORK

Phone 1-800-731-4000(CFC)
Press 1 for english
press 1 for the extension,

Extension is 1090

All you need is the

make-

model-

serial number-

caliber-

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Regulations Prescribing Antique Firearms

SOR/98-464

CRIMINAL CODE

His Excellency the Governor General in Council, on the recommendation of the Minister of Justice, pursuant to the definitions “prescribed”a and “antique firearm”a in subsection 84(1) and to subsection 117.15(1)a of the Criminal Code, hereby makes the annexed Regulations Prescribing Antique Firearms.

a S.C. 1995, c. 39, s. 139

Registration September 16, 1998

REGULATIONS PRESCRIBING ANTIQUE FIREARMS

PRESCRIPTION

1. The firearms listed in the schedule are antique firearms for the purposes of paragraph (b) of the definition “antique firearm” in subsection 84(1) of the Criminal Code.

COMING INTO FORCE

2. These Regulations come into force on December 1, 1998.

SOR/98-472, s. 3.

SCHEDULE

(Section 1)

BLACK POWDER REPRODUCTIONS

1. A reproduction of a flintlock, wheel-lock or matchlock firearm, other than a handgun, manufactured after 1897.

RIFLES

2. A rifle manufactured before 1898 that is capable of discharging only rim-fire cartridges, other than 22 Calibre Short, 22 Calibre Long or 22 Calibre Long Rifle cartridges.

3. A rifle manufactured before 1898 that is capable of discharging centre-fire cartridges, whether with a smooth or rifled bore, having a bore diameter of 8.3 mm or greater, measured from land to land in the case of a rifled bore, with the exception of a repeating firearm fed by any type of cartridge magazine.

SHOTGUNS

4. A shotgun manufactured before 1898 that is capable of discharging only rim-fire cartridges, other than 22 Calibre Short, 22 Calibre Long or 22 Calibre Long Rifle cartridges.

5. A shotgun manufactured before 1898 that is capable of discharging centre-fire cartridges, other than 10, 12, 16, 20, 28 or 410 gauge cartridges.

HANDGUNS

6. A handgun manufactured before 1898 that is capable of discharging only rim-fire cartridges, other than 22 Calibre Short, 22 Calibre Long or 22 Calibre Long Rifle cartridges.

7. A handgun manufactured before 1898 that is capable of discharging centre-fire cartridges, other than a handgun designed or adapted to discharge 32 Short Colt, 32 Long Colt, 32 Smith and Wesson, 32 Smith and Wesson Long, 32-20 Winchester, 38 Smith and Wesson, 38 Short Colt, 38 Long Colt, 38-40 Winchester, 44-40 Winchester, or 45 Colt cartridges.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Under the current legislation, "any antique firearm" is not a "firearm" for the following purposes:

1. Firearms Act: None of the provisions of the Firearms Act, including those requiring registration, licences, ATTs and/or ATCs, apply to any "antique firearm."

2. CC s. 91 and 92: Possession of any "antique firearm" without a licence or registration certificate is legal.

3. CC s. 93: Possession of any "antique firearm" at any location is legal.

4. CC s. 94: Being in a motor vehicle with any "antique firearm" is legal.

5. CC s. 95: Being in possession of a loaded "antique firearm" (which is also a "restricted firearm" or a "prohibited firearm"), or one with readily accessible ammunition is legal even if the person is not the holder of any licence, registration certificate, ATT, or ATC.

6. CC s. 99: Transferring or offering to transfer any "antique firearm" is legal.

7. CC s. 100: Dealing in any type of any "antique firearm" is legal.

8. CC s. 101: Transferring any "antique firearm" is legal if the transfer apparently violates the Firearms Act.

9. CC s. 103 and 104: Importing or exporting any "antique firearm" is legal.

10. CC s. 105: Not reporting the loss or finding of any "antique firearm" is legal.

11. CC s. 106 and 107: Not reporting the destruction of any "antique firearm" is legal, and knowingly making a false report of that type to a firearms official or the police is legal.

12. CC s. 117.03: A peace officer who finds a person in possession of any "antique firearm" is not authorized to demand that the person present a licence, registration certificate, ATT, and/or ATC.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ANTIQUE FIREARMS-storage,transport,display

14. (1) An individual may store, display or transport an antique firearm only if it is unloaded.

(2) An individual may transport an antique firearm in an unattended vehicle only if

(a) when the vehicle is equipped with a trunk or similar compartment that can be securely locked, the antique firearm is in that trunk or compartment and the trunk or compartment is securely locked; and

(b) when the vehicle is not equipped with a trunk or similar compartment that can be securely locked, the antique firearm is not visible from outside the vehicle and the vehicle, or the part that contains the antique firearm, is securely locked.

(3) An individual may transport an antique firearm that is a handgun only if it is in a locked container that is made of an opaque material and is of such strength, construction and nature that it cannot readily be broken open or into or accidentally opened during transportation.

Then, from

05-08-2012, 09:15 PM
loki

^ Very thorough and factual. Print it out and carry it with you. Really an RCMP antique letter is not worth much as it clearly states "based off of the information you've provided us with", and in the bush I'd rather have toilet paper as it's less scratchy to wipe with . They also count as a back door registry as you're now telling the CFC that you have an antique, this information remains on your file. I've stopped getting them entirely, I now rely on books, factory letters, proofmarks and scans of book documentation when I go out shooting. Print outs like the above also don't hurt to bring along.

Basically in laman terms (ie something for me to understand );

You can;

Carry, load, and fire an antique anywhere you can legally do the same with a non-restricted firearm. Private (with permission) and Crown land are good to go within provincial and municipal regulations.

Display an unloaded antique with minimal locking devices (the front door lock counts for once).

Transport antique handguns in a locked container. They do not require a trigger lock or a ATT, some people do trigger lock to prevent eating pavement if stopped.

Own an antique handgun without any kind of license or registration.

Keep and transport an antique handgun together with ammo, unloaded in transport or when not "in use".

Buy, sell, or gift an antique on a cash and carry basis. No need to call and wait for authorization.

Carry and transport your antique without an ATC or ATT.

Bring an antique to your buddies, the gunstore, or really anywhere that you think is reasonable that people aren't going to freak out and call the ERT on sight. Legally you can bring it anywhere when properly locked for transport, but use your judgement and discretion, people aren't used to seeing handguns freely in Canada these days.

Own an antique handgun that would otherwise be a prohibited firearm so long as it doesn't fall into the restricted antique calibers. For example a "Sheriffs Colt SAA" with a 2.5" barrel is legally antique and can be owned without a prohibited license if it's .45S&W (.45 Schofield) but it's deemed non antique and prohibited if it's .45Colt.

You can't;

Fire an antique handgun in shooting restricted areas.

If an antique handgun is used in a crime it becomes a firearm for the purpose of charges against you.

Carry a loaded antique handgun while in transportation or in shooting restricted areas.

Hunt with an antique handgun (this one's province specific, at least BC is not allowed).

Antiques handguns.... the closest we can get to freedom with handguns in Canada at the moment.

Last edited by loki; 05-08-2012 at 09:21 PM.

Also:

05-08-2012, 10:11 PM

BrotherRockeye

While I'm sharing...here's the compliance document that I made up for importing from the US. It has sevred me well will zero customs hassles since I started using it.

Declaration of Compliance

This package contains antique firearms manufactured prior to 1898 and are chambered for cartridges which are considered obsolete and in compliance with Canadian Regulations Prescribing Antique Firearms:
1. The firearms listed in the schedule are antique firearms for the
purposes of paragraph (b) of the definition "antique firearm" in subsection 84(1) of the Criminal Code. 7. A handgun manufactured before 1898 that is capable of discharging centre-fire cartridges, other than a handgun designed or adapted to discharge 32 Short Colt, 32 Long Colt, 32 Smith and Wesson, 32 Smith and Wesson Long, 32-20 Winchester, 38 Smith and Wesson, 38 Short Colt, 38 Long Colt, 38-40 Winchester, 44-40 Winchester, or 45 Colt cartridges.

To wit:

These antique firearms are also compliant with United States law, GCA of 1968, Title 18 USC Chapter 44 SS921 (16) "Antique Firearms" and may be bought, sold, and shipped with no regulations as per the U.S. Laws.

Specifically, this package contains:

Qty_____Make/Model_________________Serial#__________Caliber____ _____Age______

Buyer:

Seller:

Value:

Signature:

Date_______/_______/_________

There is more but this seems to be the most related regarding canadian laws and ANTIQUE BP handguns

Latest posts

Back