• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

GPR range report

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdhunter

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Took the .54 gpr to the range again today and performed my final filing of the front sight to bring it to dead on at 75 yards. The rifle still seems to like the 80 grains of goex 2f and the pillow ticking with a .530 rb, The final three shots touched at 75 yards. Now i just need to shoot it at 100 and see how low the poi is. but nonetheless she is almost ready for the pronghorns and whitetails. :thumbsup:

P.S. i will be missing cappers responses, he helped me alot with his opinions when i got started in this bp stuff just a few months ago. farewell capper

sdhunter said:
P.S. i will be missing cappers responses, he helped me alot with his opinions when i got started in this bp stuff just a few months ago. farewell capper
I missed this. What happened to Capper??? I see he is "no longer a member", but hope he just "left" (voluntarily or not) and nothing really "happened" to him.

Capper and Claude had a discussion. (Capper) removed himself;but is sounds like he wont be welcomed back.

My .54 GPR LOVES 55gr of FFF Goex and a .010 patch with mink tallow as lube with a hand-cast .535 ball. Switched rear sights to the non-adjustable and never had to file anything at 50 yds. just need a little kentucky windage at 75 and 100 yds. Gonna get a .54 flint next!

i wanted to put the primitive rear sight on mine but it slid across the barrel and would not grip so i just tightened the adjustable sight all the way down. I hope it does not shoot too low at 100, out here in these wide open spaces i could be looking at 100 yard shots more than 50 yard shots especially on antelope.

I think you will find not a lot of drop at 100 with that rifle. If so just use a little elevation of the front sight above the plane of the rear sight to adjust for the drop. My CVA Mtn. rifle with 32" barrel shoots pretty straight out to 100 yards. That should be pretty comparable to yours. I Have a Traditions with a 28" barrel and it drops 6" from 50 to 100 yards. It has a bead front sight and the sight elevation adjustment for 100 yards works out perfectly when I just set the bead above the plane of the rear sight.

sdhunter said:
i wanted to put the primitive rear sight on mine but it slid across the barrel and would not grip so i just tightened the adjustable sight all the way down. I hope it does not shoot too low at 100, out here in these wide open spaces i could be looking at 100 yard shots more than 50 yard shots especially on antelope.

If you were right on with that 80 grain load at 75 yards, your 100 yard POI is going to be +/- 3" low and lots lower at 125 or so.

I haven't tried it, but some of the shooters from approximately your part of the world prefer to deal with a little higher POI's inside 100, dead on at 100 or even 125 and lower beyond.

My memory was always a little flaky and is worse now with 6 decades behind me, but I also recall that those guys are using larger charges than you are. Gazing at the ballistics tables in the old Lyman manual sezz your load is producing around 1400fps, and upping it to 100 grains will give you ballpark 1600fps and flatten trajectories noticeably. Upping again to 120 yields roughly 1800 and flattens things even more. You certainly don't need that charge for ventilating deer at closer ranges, but if flat trajectory is your goal more powder and a sight change seems to be the norm out on the plains.

sdhunter said:
i wanted to put the primitive rear sight on mine but it slid across the barrel and would not grip so i just tightened the adjustable sight all the way down.

If you want primitive sights you can order them from Track of the Wolf. I love my GPRs but never cared for the sights that come with them.

yea capper was always one of the first to reply to my posts and was very helpful. I wish i could have seen more of his cranky old coot side.

pab1 said:
sdhunter said:
i wanted to put the primitive rear sight on mine but it slid across the barrel and would not grip so i just tightened the adjustable sight all the way down.

If you want primitive sights you can order them from Track of the Wolf. I love my GPRs but never cared for the sights that come with them.

Since a lot of the matches I wanted to shoot with my GPR do not allow adjustable sights, I installed the factory primitive rear sight. IMHO it gives a MUCH better sight picture than the adjustable rear.
There are a couple of ways to go about making the fixed sight fit tight in the dovetail;
Some guys shim it tight with bits of beverage can.
Probably the best way is to peen the sight base which will thicken it.
And there's the way I did it... Never intending to go back to the adjustable sight, I put the ball end of a ball-peen hammer in the dovetail and tapped it lightly with another small hammer to tighten up the edges of the dovetail. The sight base covers up the peening and my sight stays put. :thumbsup: I think I could probably still put the adjustable sight back in if I ever wanted to, but that will never happen... :wink:
Or you could just order new sights.

sdhunter said:
performed my final filing of the front sight to bring it to dead on at 75 yards.

i wish you hadn't done that, the semi-buckhorn rear sight is an awesome thing when you learn to shoot with it. at that distance you should have had your front blade sight about even with the peaks of the sight. oh well

I have ywo .54 GPRs, one flint and one percussion. Both will shoot one ragged hole at 50 yards with 80 grains of FFg Goex, .530 ball and pillow ticking patch lubed with Ballistol oil. I get almot the same results at 100 yards, just by increasing the powder charge to 90 grains. Each rifle is different. I lucked out that both of mine likes the same load. Good luck :v

just took mine out to 100 yards yesterday and just increased the load to 90 grains and it shot dead nuts so it looks like i have a load for hunting. :thumbsup:

Back