• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Its showing promise.............

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice shooting and a problem solved! Looks like your eyes are good enough to me!
Thank you but in all honesty, even that from 30 yards was a struggle. Many times I have aimed the ML at objects down in the trees below the house here and found that as is with those sights, it just ain't gonna happen for hunting under poor light conditions.

Last edited:
I used them alot back when I hunted with those new fangled modern guns but, since switching to all BP, I just don't like them. I guess I will be using them again one day though.
HT, I honestly do not think I could bring myself to putting a scope on a sidelock. Not one of those purists in any way, but if it were to ever come down to a scope or no ML hunting, I might just go the new fad type of ML. I actually sold the one of those a few months ago that I inherited. That's how much I think of those type ML.

Ditto, and it's getting harder. 😞

Something I'm going to try is shooting with a front sight only. Being in the trifocal phase it's sort of time to pick a sight, front or rear! 🤣
Longcruise, I too, wear bifocals, or should be wearing them all the time. Last trip to the vision center I had a pair of glasses made that are only bifocals. I wear those most of the time but when I shoot or hunt, its back to the trifocals. If it comes down to it, at this time I'm thinking of trying to have a pair of glasses made up to where I can still see both sights even if my distant vision is not great, and keep my shots up closer when hunting. Don't know if that's possible or not.

Ditto, and it's getting harder. 😞

Something I'm going to try is shooting with a front sight only. Being in the trifocal phase it's sort of time to pick a sight, front or rear! 🤣
Try a ghost ring rear sight. It is supposed to be fuzzy and will help center your front on target. It is what I use on my Thumper carbines. 20230726_054937.jpg20230726_054329.jpg

HT, I honestly do not think I could bring myself to putting a scope on a sidelock. Not one of those purists in any way, but if it were to ever come down to a scope or no ML hunting, I might just go the new fad type of ML. I actually sold the one of those a few months ago that I inherited. That's how much I think of those type ML.
I had a CVA Plainsman that was drilled and tapped for a scope. It kept me up at night, so I sold it.

I have a full buckhorn sight on my rifle and pistol. It's been on my rifle from when I built it and on my pistol when I built it. Once sighted in at 50 yds. I have won several matches with the rifle and like the pistol sights also, but haven't had a chance to use it in compete with it yet. I've found the buckhorn is very useful for moving targets because the horn is used to mark the target is about the same as the lock time. At least it seems to work for me.

I love buckhorns, personally, but everybody has their 'druthers....
I like’m too! At first, I didn’t like the full buckhorn because of their height but the more I used it, the more I liked it. Helps me pick the target up better. My eyes are some worn but I think they helped my accuracy.

So I purchased a Lyman 57 tang mount peep for my GPR. It came with the wedge and screw. Drilled the one necessary hole and tapped it. Installed sight. The sight came with a .40 thousants aperture. I found out real quick like that it was not going to work for me. So I drilled the aperture out to 107 thousants.

Went to the range today to sight it in. I could clearly see the target at 75 and 100 yards.

75 yard target . The one at 9:00 was an oops. Wasn’t ready to pull the trigger.

Shot a 6-7 inch group from 100 yards.

So yeah, a larger aperture works for this ole boy.

I really like this ML. A great RB shooter.

Attachments

• IMG_1399.jpeg
    IMG_1399.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I have a full buckhorn sight on my rifle and pistol. It's been on my rifle from when I built it and on my pistol when I built it. Once sighted in at 50 yds. I have won several matches with the rifle and like the pistol sights also, but haven't had a chance to use it in compete with it yet. I've found the buckhorn is very useful for moving targets because the horn is used to mark the target is about the same as the lock time. At least it seems to work for me.
There's nothing wrong with buckhorn sights IF one can clearly see through them. If I were not to use a peep or a ghost ring, it would be buckhorn sights.

Latest posts

Back