• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Blown out patches? bore, crown, patching material, lube where to start?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dilly have you tried a lube with tallow? In my 54 I use a .530 ball and pocket drill that is .021 with just touching slightly firm mic pressure, and my new trial of beef tallow and 20% bees wax. Man how easy it loads as good as mink oil from T.O.W.! Pure mink oil loads more difficult with .019 cotton patches. And the better part I finally tried shooting with out swabbing between shots which I could not do with just mink oil without a mallet to load with. After 5 shots no wiping I tried a patch with just mink oil and almost got stuck half way down, with pounding it seated….went back to tallow and loaded normaly…. No blown patches at 85 grs. 3f schutezen.

Dang @DillyJamba, in only a couple of months you have come from being a new shooter who couldn't keep a group on paper. Now we are seeing one hole groups. I'm glad I won't be shooting against you at the next match.
Don’t worry ill choke in the match haha, it was bench shooting sub 50 have a long way to go on my off hand skills trust me haha

thanks!

What I did with a new englander with a pitted bore— powder charge, equal measure of cream of wheat, patched ball. It really improved grouping.

The rifle crown is too sharp and cuts the patches when the prb is seated. This causes the patches to burn through, as you've posted. Polish the crown first and foremost and very likely nothing else will be needed.

Recently picked up a used Lyman GPR on my first outing I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn (10-inch groups at 50 yards). after about 20 shots down range and adjusting my load, I finally walked down range and immediately noticed nearly every single patch was completely shredded, I wasn't encountering a tremendous amount of force when loading .530 ball and red/blue pillow ticking lubed with 1-6 ballistol/water . It was snug but not crazy tight (I load my pedersoli kentucky with a lot more force on the short starter).

Still learning the ropes with muzzleloading and I've read that GPR's tend to be sharp from the factory, the gentleman I purchased it from included half a box of balls so it's likely that's all it had ran through it prior to sale (Seems in very pristine condition)

So where to start with this problem?

View attachment 252513
Try a 3 to 1 water ballistol. You need more lube.

Latest posts

Back