• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Got my new gun!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I had a friend of mine, John Pruitt, make me this 12 gauge flintlock smoothbore and I finally got it just in time for squirrel season. John whittled the stock out of an old piece of walnut he had laying around and stuck all the parts I sent him where they needed to go. I haven't had a chance to pattern it yet but it sure does work on the bushytails!

Darren

IMG_0450.jpg

IMG_0505.jpg

That's a very nice gun and I like it a lot - even with the wrong side lock. :hmm: What makes you think it's any good for squirrels? :idunno:

That's just great, congratulations ! Very nice looking shotgun too...
:thumbsup:

( PS: I think one of the squirrels must have only been stunned and got away between photos )

Welcome...pattern it :confused: ...I think you are doing just fine with the way it shoots now. :wink: Care to share the loading formula that you are currently using to "put her through her paces"? :hatsoff:

Since I have no experience with one of these smoothbores, I read a few posts, did some figuring and ended up using 70 grains of FFFg and 1 3/8 oz of #6 shot. My farthest shot was about 30 yards. I think I'm a little heavy in the shot department so the next time I go squirrel hunting I'm gonna try 70 grains of FFg and 1 1/8 oz of #6 shot.

There was no shenanigans with the posted pics. I killed 3 grays on opening morning and 2 more the next afternoon.

We've had a great turkey hatch this spring so them feathered young-n-tenders better watch out come October!

Darren

Carteret Kid said:
Sweet cheek cut-out. :thumbsup:

Speaking of which.........

Darren, if you don't mind, would you please post some close up pictures of that stock (side and top views)?

I have a smoothie that could benefit from such a treatment, but so far, have been chicken to take a file to it. Your stock looks nice as far as I can see in the above pics.

Does it feel comfortable and not bite your cheekbone?

Thanks if you can post some pics, Skychief. :bow:

:shocked2: Don't you know you can't kill squirrels unless you first PATTERN your gun!!! :shake: What were you thinking?! :nono:

Here are a couple more photos of the stock that I had handy. They will have to do until I get the gun back from the gunsmith. My buddy forgot to put a back sight on it so I'm having it done now. I want to shoot some roundball out of it and I think my accurracy would improve remarkably if I had two sights instead of one.

The stock seems to feel fine when I shoot.

The main reason I was concerned about my pattern is because I didn't want to be shooting donut holes and miss my supper.

Shotgun-4.jpg

Shotgun-2.jpg

Back