• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gun Lost :’(

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a retired mailman, things have changed.We used to take an exam which was long and you had to pass it. Today they hold up 3 fingers and if you say 2, you are hired! You will get it but it will take time. I've had two parcel recently shipped down south and they came back to our office in Maine where they were sent out again.
Best of luck
Nit Wit
This exact experience just happened to me. Sent a package to a Forum friend by USPS on January 26 from St. Louis to Boston. Tracking shows it just reached the Boston Distribution Center today, February 04. So my friend will probably receive the package tomorrow. You pay for 2-3 day service and it takes 10 days. There was a 6-day gap/dead-zone in the traffic information.

My Brother worked as an OTR driver for a contractor for USPS before he retired 3 years ago. He still has contact with a couple of his past co-workers. He told me there is a real shortage of OTR drivers. He also said that the workers at the Distribution Center will occasionally (?) put the package on the wrong truck, which has to be re-routed back to the original shipping point and start over.

How is this Dixie's fault? Think the package is still sitting on their loading dock? They will get involved when they need to get involved. But really, the post office loses track of a package and it is Dixie's fault.
O really, did you read the OP?

This exact experience just happened to me. Sent a package to a Forum friend by USPS on January 26 from St. Louis to Boston. Tracking shows it just reached the Boston Distribution Center today, February 04. So my friend will probably receive the package tomorrow. You pay for 2-3 day service and it takes 10 days. There was a 6-day gap/dead-zone in the traffic information.

My Brother worked as an OTR driver for a contractor for USPS before he retired 3 years ago. He still has contact with a couple of his past co-workers. He told me there is a real shortage of OTR drivers. He also said that the workers at the Distribution Center will occasionally (?) put the package on the wrong truck, which has to be re-routed back to the original shipping point and start over.
Wonder how West Coast restrictions on diesel trucks is affecting OTR's??? Even the Sikhs are complaining.

The only way I will ship anything valuable anymore is in a huge box that a person can’t hide under their coat. Theft is rampant. The fed ex delivery drivers- half are felons on their first job out of prison I was told!

O really, did you read the OP?
Yea, you? They turned it over th USPS for shipping. What can dixie do? Sender will make it right once claims are final. I would not get involved either until the USPS is done. So dixie calls the USPS and they all say yep stuck somewhere. What more you want?

Read it again.

Or pay premium for next day air. I pay the $3-4.00 extra for signature required on my stuff. Have v yet to lose one that way
Oh yeah, I recently purchased a 2nd gen Colt Navy from a fellow member here who shipped it "priority, signature required" and it got tangled up in the tracking debacle. When it finally arrived, I found it attached to the top of my rural mailbox with a rubber band in sub-zero weather! What a great job, USPS!

Oh yeah, I recently purchased a 2nd gen Colt Navy from a fellow member here who shipped it "priority, signature required" and it got tangled up in the tracking debacle. When it finally arrived, I found it attached to the top of my rural mailbox with a rubber band in sub-zero weather! What a great job, USPS!
P.S. All's well that ends well. After thawing the gun out, it works like a dream and no damage done except my ruffled feathers and my friend getting ripped-off for the extra fee that he paid for the service.

I’m new here and this may be the wrong first comment but I can’t help myself. I love primitive shooting, hunting etc. because it harkens to a long past era where life moved slower and things ordered took weeks of not months. Clearly, your embrace of the hobby hasn’t extended to postage;).

Definitely not a carrier. Meant in the branch, taking in packages, selling stamps. I ain’t ambitious enuff to deliver.

I worked as a distribution clerk for 5 weeks in Nov-Dec 2022. I had to report in at 6 AM. There were usually 10 or more pallets of Amazon packages already there to be sorted out and given to the carriers. Each pallet measured 4' x 5' and was about 7 feet tall. Every package had to be scanned and taken to the carrier's station. Once all the Amazon packages were distributed, we stated on the mail-1st class, flyers, etc. Then, I cased the mail-putting mail into post office boxes. Then, mailed packages were either placed in boxes or placed on shelves. These had to be scanned again.

Now comes the "good" part: Once every task was finished, I was sent to lunch, for 2-4 hours! After lunch, more Amazon packages had to be scanned for the next day's delivery. Then, the mail that the carriers brought in had to be sorted and placed in the outgoing bins. Finally, the mailboxes out front were emptied and that mail sorted for outgoing. It was usually 5:30 PM before I left. So, it took 11 1/2 hours to get 8 hours or more paid work. I got once off day a week and had to come in at 7 AM on Sunday for a half day.

The money was good, but I spent hardly any time with my wife before I went to bed to start the next day. Plus, I was on my feet the entire time and many of the packages were heavy, 50 pounds or more.

Oh, and to get to work the front counter, which is the job I THOUGHT I was applying for-selling stamps, taking packages, etc.-takes seniority, like 10 years or so. Now, I realize I started during the Christmas season, but I had applied in JULY. And after Christmas, I asked one of the clerks if the workload had slowed down any and was told No.

You still want to work there??? :D

Well I ordered a Pedersoli 12 gauge shotgun from Dixie Gun works 10 days ago. The carrier is the USPS.

Since the 25th, it shows it’s stuck “in transit” since leaving the Mephis distribution center. :(

For a week now it’s been like that. So I called the post office customer service line and after a 45 minute wait, they decided to place the case under investigation. I told them it was a firearm and valued at $1500 so hopefully SOMEBODY there takes it seriously.

I also called Dixie Gun Works the day previous and they seemed totally uninterested in helping me. Despite the wait the post office had good customer service.

I’m currently taking vacation and wanted to do some patterning and late season squirrel hunting with the shotgun, but such is not in the cards it seems.

Sorry for venting!! Take care all!
What's up with Dixie? Don't know why your particular package is stuck! good luck, I guess it's insured, but still...

Strange but it is obvious to everymail recipiant that the USPS job is to deliver mail, Not to make judjements on content
So right. Who would tolerate a waitress at Denny’s deciding whether to bring my food.
Oh I a vegetarian, I can’t bring your Moons Over My Hammy!
But the USPS can, Just shut up and deliver my product.

I worked as a distribution clerk for 5 weeks in Nov-Dec 2022. I had to report in at 6 AM. There were usually 10 or more pallets of Amazon packages already there to be sorted out and given to the carriers. Each pallet measured 4' x 5' and was about 7 feet tall. Every package had to be scanned and taken to the carrier's station. Once all the Amazon packages were distributed, we stated on the mail-1st class, flyers, etc. Then, I cased the mail-putting mail into post office boxes. Then, mailed packages were either placed in boxes or placed on shelves. These had to be scanned again.

Now comes the "good" part: Once every task was finished, I was sent to lunch, for 2-4 hours! After lunch, more Amazon packages had to be scanned for the next day's delivery. Then, the mail that the carriers brought in had to be sorted and placed in the outgoing bins. Finally, the mailboxes out front were emptied and that mail sorted for outgoing. It was usually 5:30 PM before I left. So, it took 11 1/2 hours to get 8 hours or more paid work. I got once off day a week and had to come in at 7 AM on Sunday for a half day.

The money was good, but I spent hardly any time with my wife before I went to bed to start the next day. Plus, I was on my feet the entire time and many of the packages were heavy, 50 pounds or more.

Oh, and to get to work the front counter, which is the job I THOUGHT I was applying for-selling stamps, taking packages, etc.-takes seniority, like 10 years or so. Now, I realize I started during the Christmas season, but I had applied in JULY. And after Christmas, I asked one of the clerks if the workload had slowed down any and was told No.

You still want to work there??? :D
No, thx.

Did a trade for a Colt SAA, expensive piece. Sent a Collectible Marlin, again $, from my FFL, insured, overnight etc. He went to his FFl to do the same. His arrived in 3 days, after 2 weeks mine was not here. Called him and he went to his FFL, they never sent it. So tried again. After another week I called him again, no tracking available but it was sent, he was very personable but insisted they sent it. Another week and I went to my FFL. It was there.

Thing was it was shipped regular mail in a shoebox!! The box was just taped shut haphazardly and open at the corners.

No reference to me as the person picking it up, my FFL was unsure who it was for. My FFL was amazed that they would do that with any fire arm let alone a $1500 handgun.

All said and done the gun was fine.

Don

Back