• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Got me a new shootin' iron

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
38VUcJC.jpg

I've been wanting a flintlock SxS smoothbore for probably as long as I've been shooting black powder. Having one custom made will be out of the question until my father dies and wills me the Haverstick Fortune. So I finally saved up my pennies and bought a Pedersoli from Dixie Gun Works. She was delivered yesterday and I scampered off to the woods as soon as I was able so I could break her in.

The gun is a 20 gauge with the left barrel having a modified choke and the right barrel being a cylinder bore. She is 44 1/4" long and weighs around 7 3/4 pounds. The barrels are browned and the furniture is polished steel. I bought the fancy model because, you know, I'm a gentleman. I think I'm gonna call her "Little Debbie" because she's short and sweet.

The ignition is great but she definitely needs some trigger work. The first time I had a bead on a squirrel, I thought I was going to have to use both hands to pull the trigger! Needless to say, that shot got pulled. The next squirrel, though, was not so lucky. If anyone knows how to adjust the triggers on one of these, I am all ears.

I hope to be able to take her to Mexico next year to shoot a Gould's in the head.

Darren

XHwkzVQ.jpg

yAnY9DU.jpg

K1Q8VqT.jpg

pmitmlk.jpg

SJwiIEy.jpg

MFsYNb0.jpg

mlakZjP.jpg

jXDNrUM.jpg

Y8jWzyP.jpg

l28fgoH.jpg

Nice! interested to hear what loads you work up for it for turkey! looking to get a smoothie for turkey hunting, will complete my quest to use flinters for everything.

Nice! interested to hear what loads you work up for it for turkey! looking to get a smoothie for turkey hunting, will complete my quest to use flinters for everything.

I'll be honest, this gun will be a step down for turkeys compared to Sweet Rachael, my flintlock turkey gun. She has a Colerain turkey barrel that absolutely kills them dead! I've killed several birds with Sweet Rachael and I'd put her 25 yard pattern up against any modern shotgun.

Darren

I'll be honest, this gun will be a step down for turkeys compared to Sweet Rachael, my flintlock turkey gun. She has a Colerain turkey barrel that absolutely kills them dead! I've killed several birds with Sweet Rachael and I'd put her 25 yard pattern up against any modern shotgun.

Darren

Yeah, i've heard about those barrels! If they weren't still behind, I may have had a turkey killer started by now. Heard a lot of good from Juggin barrels as well. Not sure yet what avenue I want to go down yet.

That is a mighty fine looking shotgun. I have the Dixie Gun Works version of this in 12 ga percussion and really like it so far. Like you, my triggers were abysmal and required careful filing to get them to be acceptable. That was sad to see on such an expensive gun, but after fixing them it's been fantastic

I would not take a gun to Mexco fr nothin (unless th cartel grabbed my daughter). AZ Has your Goulds. I would sure feel safer north of the border.

That said, NICE I really want one but a few other wants come first. I had the plain jane 10GA pedersoli and barrels were not well regulated so off it went. Dont recall any trigger issues (but with that one loaded up 50% of the shots were squinting eyes closed and holding breath!).

At least in my experience, the tightness of the screws (or bolts) holding the bridle, especially the one that goes through the sear, have a considerable effect on the trigger pull (on Pedersoli SxS locks). I have the 20 gauge percussion version of that gun and found that I needed to keep those screws snug but not tight. They don't seem to wander if left that way--over thousands of shots and a couple of years.

Congratulations on a fine purchase.
That will have plenty reach on a turkey my friend.
The barrels should be chrome plated so don't panic if you can't get her cleaned up quick.
The triggers could be one of two things or a combination of the both.
The sear bar spring could be to long and cramming into the sear.
Or it could just be the sear and tumbler are to hooked together and they will need stoning some.

Very nice. I have been looking at that model since they came out with it. No place seems to ever have one you can handle. How does it feel and handle? Is it a heavy piece?

Very nice. I have been looking at that model since they came out with it. No place seems to ever have one you can handle. How does it feel and handle? Is it a heavy piece?

Well, compared to most of my flinters that seem to be 6 feet long, this one handles great in the woods. It is also balanced nicely. Heavy? I don't think so. Comes in at a little under 8 pounds. It throws up good and has a good sight picture.

Darren

Thanks for the reply. Good luck with the new piece!!! Hope it brings you lots of enjoyment!!! And game!!!

Whether through my own fault or due to the way it is manufactured, my ramrod on my Pedersoli broke. If you want to keep the original intact, you may want to purchase or make another one to use that you can be sure is sturdy.

I had the same gun for 7-8months. I shot multiple rounds of sporting clays with it,and did well. I had no problems with it.The first time I had it out pheasant hunting it went off with out pulling the trigger. When I cocked the hammer and took my thumb off of it,the hammer dropped all the way and gun fired. It happened 3 times that day.At first I thought I was short stroking hammer and didn't get it all the way back. When I got home and cleaned it and started looking into it. A nice slow controlled hammer to full cock and no problems. If you pull it back till it's at full cock and just let hammer go it falls to fired position. Not what I needed in a hunting gun. I hunt over a flushing dog and got to be fast. I sent it to the pedersoli gun smith to be looked at. They had it for a month or so . He said he removed some wood in trigger mortise. It made no difference. The gun still malfunction. I sold it back to BP shop I bought it from. I have pedersoli mortimer 12 ga that I hunt with too. This will be the sixth season carrying it. It functions flawlessly. Id like to have another sxs flinter, but the pedersoli is at the top end of my budget.

I've never been able to shoot dbl barrels as well as I shoot single; and even that's nothing to brag about. But to me the dbl guns just look so dang fine and elegant. Yours is eye candy!

I would not take a gun to Mexco fr nothin (unless th cartel grabbed my daughter). AZ Has your Goulds. I would sure feel safer north of the border.

That said, NICE I really want one but a few other wants come first. I had the plain jane 10GA pedersoli and barrels were not well regulated so off it went. Dont recall any trigger issues (but with that one loaded up 50% of the shots were squinting eyes closed and holding breath!).

I would probably die of old age before I ever got drawn for an Arizona Gould's tag. I went to Mexico this past May bowhunting Gould's and it was no big deal other than the 8-hour drive from the Chihuahua City airport to turkey camp up in the Sierra Madre Mountains. I wouldn't wish that on anyone! I'm hunting with the same outfitter next year but the ranch we will be hunting is only an hour from the airport. Couldn't take my flintlock turkey gun last time because it was a homemade job without a serial number. My new Pedersoli checks all the boxes so I'm heading back to try my luck with black powder.

Darren

Latest posts

Back