• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ducks, Dogs, and Muzzleloaders

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Today was a grand day. I have a Border Terrier that I do all the things with - AKC Rally, Scent work, and Earthdog events. These little dogs trace their origins to the Border Between Scotland and England in the 18th century. They were bred as working dogs. Today my little dog Rio would have made her ancestors proud.

Today I got five ducks - four in the water and one fell on land. She retrieved all four of the ducks in the water for me. Today was special because she’s young yet - and today the “light bulb came on.” She figured out what I wanted. The last two retrieves were done boldly and with confidence. This is pretty cool for a 16 pound dog.

image000004.jpeg

The gun I used is a recent acquisition. It’s a pretty little 20 gauge Pedersoli SxS with browned barrels and checkered wrist and fore end. I was using 2 1/2 drams of Goex 2F and 1 1/8 oz of Bismuth #4 shot. I used a thick leather wad over the powder and a thin card wad over the shot. The barrels are imp cyl and modified.

I just thought it was pretty cool to be out hunting with an 18th century dog using a 19th century gun. Getting it done just like they used to do it.

IMG_6044.jpeg

IMG_6034.jpeg

IMG_6026.jpeg

She will turn 3 years old in April so I look forward to many good days afield with her.

Today was a grand day. I have a Border Terrier that I do all the things with - AKC Rally, Scent work, and Earthdog events. These little dogs trace their origins to the Border Between Scotland and England in the 18th century. They were bred as working dogs. Today my little dog Rio would have made her ancestors proud.

Today I got five ducks - four in the water and one fell on land. She retrieved all four of the ducks in the water for me. Today was special because she’s young yet - and today the “light bulb came on.” She figured out what I wanted. The last two retrieves were done boldly and with confidence. This is pretty cool for a 16 pound dog.

View attachment 277117

The gun I used is a recent acquisition. It’s a pretty little 20 gauge Pedersoli SxS with browned barrels and checkered wrist and fore end. I was using 2 1/2 drams of Goex 2F and 1 1/8 oz of Bismuth #4 shot. I used a thick leather wad over the powder and a thin card wad over the shot. The barrels are imp cyl and modified.

I just thought it was pretty cool to be out hunting with an 18th century dog using a 19th century gun. Getting it done just like they used to do it.

View attachment 277118

View attachment 277119
View attachment 277120

She will turn 3 years old in April so I look forward to many good days afield with her.
sounds like you and your buddy had a great day.wishing yaw many more years to come.love hunting dogs

You may want to consider not using a collar for water work sometimes it can get hung up on something under water and cause serious problems if you know what I mean . Nice little dog I would hate for you to loose it

Nice mixed bag. Terriers are tough but usually just want to kill everything. I had one that I had to force fetch before she would retrieve but after that she was a whirlwind.
Females are the best to use for hunting IMO. They get down to business and don't have to scent mark every bush they encounter.

Diving ducks in the desert?

Ring Necks and Red Heads! Fantastic. Nothing beats hunting with a willing retriever for waterfowl. Have fun brother and treasure the moments with her.

Latest posts

Back