• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

G'day from Australia

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoodRabbitPilgrim

Do Not Live in America
Reaction score
G'day,

Signing in from Australia.

I'm not much of a target shooter but I do love hunting. Mostly chase deer but do some bird hunting and varmint shooting.

I've shot an inline for a few years but have recently ordered my first caplock. One day I would really love to shoot a flintlock but I don't know any black powder shooters in my part of the world so have been hesitant to throw myself in the deep end to this point.

Keen to learn a bit about traditional muzzleloaders, in particular flintlocks. Maybe enough that I can try it myself someday.

Hi GoodRabbitPilgrim, welcome aboard, what part of Australia are you in? I do (Did!) a lot of interstate travel for shoots and might be able to connect you with some locals if you like.

Hi GoodRabbitPilgrim, welcome aboard, what part of Australia are you in? I do (Did!) a lot of interstate travel for shoots and might be able to connect you with some locals if you like.
I'm in Vic, I know of a three blackpowder clubs but the closest is about 180 miles from me.

Hi mate
As an expansion on my prior post.
I an in Normanton.
There is only 1 person other than me with a muzzleloader within about 500 clicks.
But I make up for it with more than a few.
Percussion is not a bad start for hunting.
What did you end up getting?
Never seen let alone owned an inline.
No deer here but shoot a good number of pigs.
Used a 1861 enfield musketoon last BP hunt.
Have hunted with a 50 Hawken and am building a 50 flint longrifle 20200726_155331.jpg next hunt (after the floods dry out. Maybe April).
These guys have a phenominal collective knowledge you can lean on and are happy to share.
Dont be afraid of a flinter.
The worst that can happen is you miss a shot.

Welcome to the forum, Pilgrim! Glad to have you! So a flinter is in your future. It happened like this; You were a cabin boy on your dad's sailing vessel that crash landed during a storm on the coast of Australia and you have become the only survivor. You have scrounged for food and clothing and since this is 1855 you find your Father's older flintlock shotgun and fixings in a drawer in his cabin. You are about to embark on the waltz of a lifetime in unknown country following the coast to find a town with other people and to contact authorities to the fate of the ship and crew, and get yourself back to your family and fortune. You now have to learn how to use the shotgun for defense and feeding yourself. Only you can determine the outcome of this story, but you come from good stock and are not afraid of trifles. Welcome aboard!

Last edited:
Hi mate
As an expansion on my prior post.
I an in Normanton.
There is only 1 person other than me with a muzzleloader within about 500 clicks.
But I make up for it with more than a few.
Percussion is not a bad start for hunting.
What did you end up getting?
Never seen let alone owned an inline.
No deer here but shoot a good number of pigs.
Used a 1861 enfield musketoon last BP hunt.
Have hunted with a 50 Hawken and am building a 50 flint longrifle View attachment 57230 next hunt (after the floods dry out. Maybe April).
These guys have a phenominal collective knowledge you can lean on and are happy to share.
Dont be afraid of a flinter.
The worst that can happen is you miss a shot.

Great to see some other Aussies into it. You'd be in scrubber country up there wouldn't you?

I've got a pedersoli hawken on the way. Was really hoping to try for a hoggie with it this April but don't think I'll get the leave. Hopefully knock a red at some stage though.

My inline is a TC, I bought it back in 2013 and at the time after the 9 month wait of getting it into Australia had to wait another few weeks because the gun registry had to create a new category for It. Realised at that point it probably wasn't popular!

Almost got married to a girl in the Kings Cross area [Sydney.]

When I was a kid, Mom worked for the airlines, so we got to travel a bit. We were in both Brisbane and Sydney back in the early '80s, and drove through the Blue Mountains between the two. Kings Cross (where one of the hotels we stayed in was) was a real eye opener for a kid who'd grown up mostly in the sleepy, Mayberry-esque suburbs of Scottsdale, AZ in the '70s. An interesting place for sure. :)

Back