• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

G'day from Australia

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No i don't think so. All i can find in Australia is Wano black powder.
Welcome to the forum. :)

Wano will work fine in a flintlock or your percussion rifle.
Actually, getting real black powder of any kind is the important thing when it comes to shooting a flintlock. The modern synthetic muzzleloading powders work poorly or not at all in a flintlock.

Wano is great powder. They make Schuetzen powder, and they used to make Graf and Sons' house brand powder, which I have shot extensively. They've been in the powder business since the 1680s, so I guess they're doing something right. :thumb:

Every agate flint I've seen has been saw cut (which requires a lapidary saw and probably a grinder of some kind), but I believe you can knap agate after heat treating it, though I'm not sure what sort of edges you'd get. I'm still pretty new to the whole knapping thing.

Agates are found don't think flint proper is. Chert is found in NZ but unsure if Australia Maybe Opals might work( held by flatted gold nuggets of course ). dream on. But true flint no idea not heard of it . Some Aboriginal spear points where made of knapped bottles so the knapping skill may be applical to flint. & like many places ships ballast was often dumped for heavier cargo . Where it' s common its just considered junk . Walls & Churches often made with this durable stone . Best stuff is mined. As surface exposure ruins it . Hope that helps.
Rudyard

Welcome to the forum. :)

Wano will work fine in a flintlock or your percussion rifle.
Actually, getting real black powder of any kind is the important thing when it comes to shooting a flintlock. The modern synthetic muzzleloading powders work poorly or not at all in a flintlock.

That's good, I don't believe we have any substitute BP available in Aus. Apparently Swiss is about but I've never seen it.

G'day there Mate and welcome. Great to have some good old blokes from down under. Aussieland was one of my favorites. I spent a couple years as a Mormon missionary in Victoria and Tassie. Made a few Royal Melbourne turns down on Flinders street. Stuck my feet in the Yarra river and frequented the botanical gardens and the museum a lot. I knew places like Brighton, Dandenong, Footscray, Reservoir, Fitzroy, Wangeratta and even Launceston and Hobart like the back of my hand as I pretty much walked every street. When I was there, ACDC was just a couple years old. I loved your chocolate and miss the bickies and milo. Never did acquire a taste for vegimite however. No offense, but Tassie was my favorite. Anyway, that was 40+ years ago and I'm sure things have changed a lot now. Where do you shoot down there?

Tassie is beautiful, I'd move there only it has pretty poor hunting opportunities.

I don't do any competition shooting or anything like that, just hunt. Hunting takes me wherever the game are, all over Vic and into SA mostly.

I am a flinter & use & prefer Wano in PP & PPP in calibers from .32 to .71. I find the Swiss highly over rated & too expensive. I can shoot .58 mini's all day with Wano & not have to swab the barrel. However with Swiss & a lesser amout of powder & the barrel is badly fowled after 3 or 4 shots. I have a surplus of large English knapped flints if anyone down-under is looking to purchase

You can get substitute powder, its actually easier to get than real BP due to it being the same DG rating as smokeless. But imo you're better off sticking to Wano.
The Wano importer is in Sydney, if you know anyone that might be passing through on their way to your area, assuming they have a firearms license, you might get some that way.

You can get substitute powder, its actually easier to get than real BP due to it being the same DG rating as smokeless. But imo you're better off sticking to Wano.
The Wano importer is in Sydney, if you know anyone that might be passing through on their way to your area, assuming they have a firearms license, you might get some that way.

What synthetic is available? I called every importer I could find to get some for my inline but no one was bringing it in.

Agate was tried in UK & EU. in the70's and 80's. I have used it. It was all sawn or ground to shape and the edge went quickly and didn't Knap well as it doesn't flake like flint. I only ever bought 3 and gave the last one away as I wanted SPARKS. I have seen but Never tried the Sparkler stuff either. OLD DOG..

Well that's useful if he likely will need smaller sizes , Old dog you probably had the Jaspis agate there was also Frank Strieghts ' Forge Fire' ceramic 'flint' I bought all sort for the Late Semoure de Loptbineiri of Brandon . The Yorshire coast has flint that falls from the errodeing cliffs, gobs of it for nux ( bar the knapping bit ). Rabbit will get there .
Cheers Rudyard

Latest posts

Back