• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

G’day from Aussie…

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome from Iowa! Spent a few weeks at the RAAF base near Newcastle (NSW) several years back, your F-18's wanted to play with our F-16's. Absolutely loved Australia! It helped that they lodged us at the resort in Shoal Bay.

2 knives! Hi, and welcome to another Queenslander. All the best with your wanderings looking up big red. I did a drive through the Brisbane Valley a couple of months ago and the grass was sooooooo long. Watch out for snakes - you have a few special ones around there, mostly nasty. As you well know, we don't get reds up this way (except at the butcher, at a I'm never going to buy that price!). I do have spotted beauties though, and best of all, smelly pigs. The deer I consume from time to time, happy to observe them, the pigs are vermin control. I'm thankful for the Chital; they are much smaller than the reds, easier to handle when on the ground, butchering and packing out. Welcome again. Great info here hey? And lovely polite input; clearly good manners and thoughtful, mindful moderators.

I've included some lovelies taken when out and about...

View attachment 182764View attachment 182765

G’day Pete,

Yes mate, I too spent a good amount of time - when I lived in T’ville - pushing Chital around the place with longbow in hand. I shot a heap with the rifle for th owners during the drought years and never took a single photo as it wasn’t hunting, rather the removal of animals for the lack of grass. I did however shoot a few with my longbow and also recurve and was always such a hard way to hunt them but I did pull it off now and then And I’d imagine it’ll be the same with a muzzle loader in regards to the distance etc.

Stunning photos, particularly the grunter. What camera are you running?
Canon 80D with Canon 100 to 400 mkII lens. Among SLRs, it's probably considered old technology now (mirrorless is the way to go), but hey, it works - and we're hunting with muzzleloaders😄. It has its shortcomings, but I enjoy using the camera lens combination and work around the limitations. Birds are my distraction, when scouting an area...
C5.JPG
C6.JPG

Canon 80D with Canon 100 to 400 mkII lens. Among SLRs, it's probably considered old technology now (mirrorless is the way to go), but hey, it works - and we're hunting with muzzleloaders😄. It has its shortcomings, but I enjoy using the camera lens combination and work around the limitations. Birds are my distraction, when scouting an area...View attachment 182814View attachment 182815
Beautiful, I still have a Nikon D5300 but its well out of it these days. I always wanted to be an ornithologist while I was studying, tossed up doing my honours on Galapagos finches but got offered an ecology type job and took it instead. And now I'm in agronomy, still love birds though.

Last year I went hunting up north, wanted to do 4 things, shoot a buff with my muzzleloader, see a croc, see a jabiru and a magpie goose. Did them all bar the last one.

Welcome from Colorado, USA. I got to spend a few days exploring Perth and a station out of town a ways back in the '80s, complements of Uncle Sam's Canoe Club (US Navy), and absolutely loved it. My prior employer had offices in Melbourne and Sydney, so spent a lot of time on the phone with those folks.

Cheers!
Greg

Welcome from Colorado, USA. I got to spend a few days exploring Perth and a station out of town a ways back in the '80s, complements of Uncle Sam's Canoe Club (US Navy), and absolutely loved it. My prior employer had offices in Melbourne and Sydney, so spent a lot of time on the phone with those folks.

Cheers!
Greg
G’day Greg,

Mate I was in Granby a few years back and hunted the Arapaho Forest and missed a hell of a bull with my longbow. One day I plan to return but from all accounts CO isn’t what it used to be…

Canon 80D with Canon 100 to 400 mkII lens. Among SLRs, it's probably considered old technology now (mirrorless is the way to go), but hey, it works - and we're hunting with muzzleloaders😄. It has its shortcomings, but I enjoy using the camera lens combination and work around the limitations. Birds are my distraction, when scouting an area...View attachment 182814View attachment 182815
I also have the 80D too mate. Still works good for me:

Attachments

• 93F7E3D0-3135-4B10-BDEC-E6D23972C5B9.jpeg
    93F7E3D0-3135-4B10-BDEC-E6D23972C5B9.jpeg
    391.3 KB · Views: 0
Wonderful image, Johnny. Animals are hyper alert when visiting water, but conversely, this is when they can appear to be their most relaxed. Kudu? You can see why I passed up this pair.
View attachment 183125
That is a good photo mate and those chital are in prime condition.

Yes thats a younger Kudu bull I snapped when in Africa last. Hopefully heading back this coming year again to hunt.

G’day Greg,

Mate I was in Granby a few years back and hunted the Arapaho Forest and missed a hell of a bull with my longbow. One day I plan to return but from all accounts CO isn’t what it used to be…
This guy came from up near Granby a few years ago.

B7836978-F09F-487A-A2B5-FA6443651871_1_105_c.jpeg
1FD5D5F7-B1DC-4BA9-949F-A9769D78A325_1_105_c.jpeg

And sadly, you're correct - Colorado is not what it used to be in so many ways. Massive beetle kill areas have decimated a lot of the forest, fires ravaged that down timber and wiped out a bunch of the healthy trees as well, Greenies and tree huggers and anti-hunters and anti-gun folks are hell bent on turning Colorado into another California.

This guy came from up near Granby a few years ago.

View attachment 184024View attachment 184025

And sadly, you're correct - Colorado is not what it used to be in so many ways. Massive beetle kill areas have decimated a lot of the forest, fires ravaged that down timber and wiped out a bunch of the healthy trees as well, Greenies and tree huggers and anti-hunters and anti-gun folks are hell bent on turning Colorado into another California.
Nice bull mate and thats a shame in regards to what’s happening in CO. Let’s hope the winters clear them all back to where ever they came from!

Back