• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gardening 2023

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Things are just getting going up here in the northeast. It’ll be awhile yet before there are any ripe tomatoes.
This long bed has lettuce, broccoli, brussel sprouts and some kale at the end.
386500DF-A565-4612-9B74-A2F1B7BF29C7.jpeg
7A7A93A6-C0B0-450A-8C3C-E060B09DB3F5.jpeg

Last edited:
Onions and garlic, I cut the garlic scapes a couple weeks ago and pickled them, the garlic should be ready in a couple weeks.
D4F78F41-BFA9-42E8-A61E-AE7E657E151F.jpeg

Attachments

• 0044B60B-7A0C-431F-9023-6E703C69A523.jpeg
    0044B60B-7A0C-431F-9023-6E703C69A523.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
Peppers mostly, bell peppers on the ground and small fruited peppers in the lower row of boxes along the deck. Jalapeño, Cherry and Hungarian Wax. The top row is flowers and herbs.
3B673F50-EED1-4E81-8D2F-81CB620FE8EA.jpeg
BD6D693D-D3BA-4758-88C9-C9F0A736C923.jpeg

Attachments

• F203CC01-2593-4DB3-AA46-95FBAE0BF59E.jpeg
    F203CC01-2593-4DB3-AA46-95FBAE0BF59E.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
Zucchini and cucumbers in one bed. Green beans, I had meant to buy a bush variety but apparently got a pole variety so I added some wire for them to climb but it’s a mess. Lastly, the beginning of a strawberry bed for the future.
61DE9F79-ADC4-4738-A47B-4E5DCDFDDADA.jpeg
1E1F501B-420C-42CB-ADD9-2DFEEDAB5857.jpeg

Attachments

• C62FA7C9-D590-4B04-8898-D27A5B04FB25.jpeg
    C62FA7C9-D590-4B04-8898-D27A5B04FB25.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
I could have sent pictures but who wants to look at a bunch of dead plants. It turned hot down here and that's it for this year's garden. I'll give it try again next year.

We haven’t had a frost yet so lots of stuff still to do. Spent most of today processing tomatoes, cooking them down and then canning them with fresh basil. My wife does the rest when we want sauce. I’ve canned 48 quarts so far.
I’ve still got peppers to pickle and I’ll probably make a big batch of salsa to can next weekend.

Attachments

• IMG_0008.jpeg
    IMG_0008.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
We canned a lot of tomatoes and squash. The deer got most of my danged hot peppers. They seem to love the hottest ones. One thing we tried this year for the first time is we canned some zucchini bread. And it turned out pretty good.

My spring garden didn’t do very well, either. Tomatoes were a disaster. We’ve had a few complications that prevented preparation for fall planting, so I’m just gonna let the plot lie fallow for a season. I bought a couple of jalapeño plants I’ll put in planter boxes so I can protect them when the weather gets cold. I do hope to get in a garden next spring, though.

Maybe we can start a new thread for 2024.

Notchy Bob

We canned a lot of tomatoes and squash. The deer got most of my danged hot peppers. They seem to love the hottest ones. One thing we tried this year for the first time is we canned some zucchini bread. And it turned out pretty good.
Canned? That sounds good. mind telling me how you did that we have made bread and then frozen it .

Tried like he__ this year to get things going early. Rabbits and deer kept eating things I planted. Had a bright idea to keep bugs from eating things , put down ceder chips, no bugs like cedar . Well yes they do. Didn't do anything to keep them away. Tryed organic spaying little help there too. Still got more then I could eat and was able to give away a lot to different people and food banks. Still got tomatoes and peppers growing, and planted fall plants so see what happens.

Canned? That sounds good. mind telling me how you did that we have made bread and then frozen it .
We used wide mouthed jars, filled just south of half. Set them on a stout baking pan. Normal temp, the usual recipe. Just have to watch for doneness closer. When you pull the pan out start putting your lids and rings on. I used my hi temp gloves I use when smoking meat. And wait for them to seal. We waited a week before trying one, they are tasty for sure.

We used wide mouthed jars, filled just south of half. Set them on a stout baking pan. Normal temp, the usual recipe. Just have to watch for doneness closer. When you pull the pan out start putting your lids and rings on. I used my hi temp gloves I use when smoking meat. And wait for them to seal. We waited a week before trying one, they are tasty for sure.
Thanks sounds like something we can easily try

I pickled some peppers yesterday, hoping to have time to make some pepper relish and a batch of salsa, I still have lots of tomatoes. Another week or two without a frost and I’ll probably manage to get everything done
IMG_0013.jpeg

All and all it was a good year for us, carrots and parsnips, Tomato's & tomatoes still going we haven't had a frost yet, covering what's left every night. Fall is here.

Back