• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Critter cameras

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
With spring planting here in the next couple weeks I've discovered a couple holes in the ground that are worrisome. the first is in the herb garden which is adjacent to the foundation of the back porch (which is enclosed). At first I thought it was the usual suspect, mice, but it's about 5 inches or so and I'm worried about a skunk. Long story short, my dog got sprayed early one night last week and when I'm on the porch with the windows open having a cigar or pipe I can sometimes get a definite whiff of skunk.
The other hole really worries me. It's not quite on y property, but rather on my neighbor's at the very end where my fence borders his and the property next to ours. This hole is agout 10 - 12 inches in diameter and there's a BIG pile of sand piled to show that this critter has tunneled pretty extensively.....and he's BIG. It sounds crazy being in a suburban town with access to woods but I'm wondering about coyote. It appeared in April, just around the time when they like to hunker down and raise pups. Call me paranoid, but can anybody offer a suggestion as to what other animal would do such behavior?

Anyway, I'm looking to buy a couple good nighttime trail cameras that aren't too expensive that some of you guys use to track deer spots in various locations in the woods. I sure would appreciate some help because I need to find out what I'm dealing with. I'll be damned if I'm going to plant our usual load of vegetables just to feed some hungry four-legged scavengers!

Big foot perhaps, 🤣---- now that's out of way I think it depends on where you live, could be any number of animals, skunk, ground hog, badger, fox, coyote. Let us know what you get pics of.

For what you're doing you don't need a camera with all the bells and whistles. The least expensive one will probably work fine. I wish I could remember the brand of camera I used in Alaska to photo moose and bears but I can't. It was the cheapest one Bass Pro had and it did what I needed it to do.

I went back to some old photos and here's a shot of a young grizzly (brown bear) between the house and the garage.

WGI_0020.jpeg

Last edited:
If there is an obvious pile of dirt leading up to the hole it's likely a groundhog. They are messy builders and have made a come back in this area. We have one living under some pallets in the barn. I would toss in some smoke bombs and shoot him on the way out but I'm a little worried about the pallets setting on fire and worse...the tires on the pallets.

Groundhogs are really not nocturnal so eventually, you'll see one if that's what it is. Skunks are nocturnal so you might need a trail cam for that, as are raccoons and possums.

The big hole might also be a badger it they are common to your area. It is amazing how fast they can dig if after a smaller creature for a meal.

My unmentionable digital cell cameras are Tacticam and they work great. I think I paid about 85 bucks each, plus memory cards and batteries (12 AA Lithium) and 10 bucks per month per cam to get the pics to my phone within a few minutes of them being taken. High res pics are on the camera, video too if you want, lower res pics are in the app and you can download high res for a fee if you need higher res (I never have). Batteries last 6-8 months, takes pics in total darkness without alerting the animals. I have been very satisfied with them.

Thanks for all the replies, brothers. I just couldn't figure out just where to post this question. The additional animals named are a possibility, but still, if you know from any experience of any camera name I could buy that would be a big help. I know I've seen pictures as well as videos of deer and boar taken at night posted here in the past.

The cheapest camera out there will work just fine. This is probably a good time to get one since most all hunting seasons are closed, except for turkeys. Looks has been said go to Walmart.

I too have a creature digging holes in my yard here in Arizona, I'm leaning on Jalina
I bought the MUDDT brand from Sportsman warehouse, so far all I see is rabbits
The hole sare about 10" / 12" and about 8" deep

The trail cameras can be quite entertaining. It is amazing the variety of wildlife that passes in front of my game camera. It was one of the cheaper ones and it has infra-red capabilities to capture those critters at night. Sometimes it is hard to identify the animal and sometimes my camera delays too long before taking a picture. So far it's been birds, squirrels, raccoons, deer, fox, coyotes, stray cats and dogs and an occasional windblown weed.

A bit higher end camera will solve the not clear or takes too long issues, my cameras will easily capture identifiable animals at 25-30 yards for smaller coon size animals and 45-50 for deer. Mine are fast enough to capture birds a lot of time flying through the field of view.

Latest posts

Back