• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gardening ..again

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eutycus

Cannon
Reaction score
Well it's almost that time of the year. About time to get the tiller out and if I can get it started I'll clear off the weeds for this year's garden. Wish me luck on the tiller. I'll be trying it one handed and left handed. I threw my right shoulder out of place a few weeks ago moving the washer. I already have some tiny tomato plants coming up. They'll be ready to transplant in a week or two. Ground Temperature is still pretty cold.

Well I got the tiller started though I had to deal with a flat tire.Still cant get used to a "small" garden. Dang bermuda grass took over most of it.Now let the sun do its thing on them weeds and it'll be ready for those tomato transplants next week
20240224_123920.jpg

Last edited:
We are still 7 weeks out for transplanting, the wife has been chomping at the bit, in a couple weeks I have 2- 24" deep by 12 ft long by 3 feet wide beds to build with trellises then line with plastic, some holes in the bottom with 3 " of gravel for drainage then top soi and compost so the boss lady can get veges in, the 2 8' beds I built last year have been filled with blueberries and raspberries which are starting to pop new shoot, the daffodils are up and getting ready to bloom here in western WA a couple 3 weeks early for those!

Soil is worn out in my 25 ft. , by 30 ft , 25 yr . old garden. Can't justify , at my age , to repair the damage. I'll try a plastic , 55 gal barrel w/ both ends removed. Just sit it on the ground in the sun , plug two large fruit tomato plants into well fertilized soil , water , and see what happends.

Soil is worn out in my 25 ft. , by 30 ft , 25 yr . old garden. Can't justify , at my age , to repair the damage. I'll try a plastic , 55 gal barrel w/ both ends removed. Just sit it on the ground in the sun , plug two large fruit tomato plants into well fertilized soil , water , and see what happends.
Actually food grade 5 gal buckets work great for maters, did 4 plants last year , all did well, my chocolate cherries wound up being 8 feet of vine , had to put them on the trellis with the cukes and the wife and I and the neighbors couldnt eat them fast enough, the early girl and burpees best did very well too. 5 gal, lots cheaper on the dirt and fertilzer!

My motivation for doing a vegetable garden. She wants to grow food. Can say no to that. And plus children need to learn how to survive.
Yep, had my 4 & 6 yr old grand babies growing cherry tomatoes, pickle cukes, green beans and sugar snap peas last year in 5 gal buckets, they had a blast, recently asked to do it again this year, told them they had to get their Dad ( my Son) to roto till a 5 x 10 foot patch of dirt for the garden by them . your welcome Son!

It's down the road a ways yet but I'm looking for a "new" or different variety of Okra to try this year. Clemson Spineless or Emerald Green just aren't performing like Okra did years ago. May give that new hybrid, Burgandy Clemson, a try. Anyway I got time, the ground is still way too cold for Okra.

Gardening is a tremendous thing to get kids started on. Whether it be grandkids, great grandkids, neices , nephews etc. Just don't yell when they pick the green tomatoes. Hopefully it will spark an interest that will lead to a lifetime of gardening.

My garden is still covered in snow. Looking forward to it. Maybe the danged deer will leave me some peppers this year. They ate almost every one of our hot peppers last year. Reapers, ghost, Scotch Bonnets. At least they left me a few jalapenos. We talked about trying the ground cover stuff this year. Getting too hard on the old knees to crawl around pulling weeds. If I forget to say it later, good luck to all with your gardens.

Eutycus, your South Texas soil looks much nicer than my nasty old red clay up here in the Big Country. I built a bed last year and amended with mulched leaves and commercial cotton burr compost and have not been impressed with the gains. Part of the problem was more shade than I would like, but the only thing that did well in it last summer was rosemary, which is about as hardy as mesquite in these parts. I managed to get some tomatoes and peppers growing them alongside my garage toward the front of the house. First time I planted San Marzano tomatoes for spaghetti sauce and it won't be the last. Got a few poblanos and some Big Jims but nothing to brag about. We are looking for a high of 92 tomorrow, but by Wednesday night, a low of 33. Early days.
It has been a long time since I could horse around a big Troybuilt. The little Mantis is more my speed these days, with four back surgeries and a 71st birthday weeks away.

I do a lot of “my” gardening at the museum, where I raise tobacco, corn, beans, squash, and a variety of heirloom vegetables and herbs. Of course, we try to do as much as possible in front of the public in a historically accurate way, but I do start a lot of things offsite and transplant them.
Just put the peas in a few days ago. The sticks both support the vines AND poke hungry deer in the head, which dramatically reduces the damage they do. The peas are planted in rows to either side of the sticks.

Jay

Attachments

• IMG_4647.jpeg
    IMG_4647.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4650.jpeg
    IMG_4650.jpeg
    5.2 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back