• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Making a new main spring for the 62 Police

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a Magnum open top, that be the Walker.
My Walker sure is a hoot to shoot especially with these swaged down 200 grain .45 ACP bullets I cast.
Still need to cut a couple of dove tails in her for a new front sight and loading lever Dragoon type latch. That'll bring her up to speed for a "practical" shooter! Those loading levers dropping down after each shot would drive me nuts although this gun has not displayed that habit as of yet with the stiff spring it came with.

There is a Magnum open top, that be the Walker.

Well, like I said, getting close !! I've been shooting 220gr bullets over 1000fps . . . from a couple of Uberti '60 Armys.
Likewise, 250gr bullets over 1000fps from a pair of Dragoons (Uberti).
No Walker but don't think I need one lol !!!

Mike

Looked all over, utube, many threads and sites. No stiffer spring available unless your a gunsmith and can fabricate one.
I think I know the video your talking about, he didn't use a whole second spring though he cut it down to only have about 2/3rds of the spring.I did that with my new model police and it worked fantastic ....absolutely not one cap jam.

What did he cut down ?

I've cut down feeler gauge leaves to make "helper springs" and it seems to work well. If a spring is a little light, it can help with an extra "kick" as it straightens out. There's already a mounting hole so just narrow the sides. Cut the top square and make a notch so it can "locate" under the main. Leave an "ear" ( bend them upward slightly) on each side to maintain position.

Here's a double -
20231119_152330.jpg

Mike

I've cut down feeler gauge leaves to make "helper springs" and it seems to work well. If a spring is a little light, it can help with an extra "kick" as it straightens out. There's already a mounting hole so just narrow the sides. Cut the top square and make a notch so it can "locate" under the main. Leave an "ear" ( bend them upward slightly) on each side to maintain position.

Here's a double -
View attachment 282799

Mike
I see, instead of making a new heavier one ! Good idea! I wonder how to do this with the odd shaped Walker V main spring that clips in place from a hanger.

Here's a double -
View attachment 282799

Mike
Yes! Feeler gauges are great for that!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Back