• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Gardening 2023

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a new water well drilled last week. I'm sure glad the driller talked me out of drilling on the corner of the garden. He chose another spot instead. This is what my garden wouView attachment 222149ld have looked like.
Well...I'm a bit envious. Don't you have any damned rocks down there? I have to stop tilling every few feet to remove jammed rocks. That effluent looks like chocolate mousse

In the years past I put alot of leaves (30+ wheelbarrows) from the Oak trees in my garden. They really mellowed it out,plus helped keep the weeds down too.But nothing really eliminates them.This year I'm going with alot less leaves (3-4 wheelbarrows) and using the ones that blew in under my sister-in-law's trailer.They are already "semi-decomposed" and my garden is a whole lot smaller. The spot where her camper was in now my new well sight.Besides the Dr. said raking all those leaves is what messed my back up.

In the years past I put alot of leaves (30+ wheelbarrows) from the Oak trees in my garden. They really mellowed it out,plus helped keep the weeds down too.But nothing really eliminates them.This year I'm going with alot less leaves (3-4 wheelbarrows) and using the ones that blew in under my sister-in-law's trailer.They are already "semi-decomposed" and my garden is a whole lot smaller. The spot where her camper was in now my new well sight.Besides the Dr. said raking all those leaves is what messed my back up.
I use to drive around the my neighborhood and pick up the bags of leaves they would put out for trash pick up. Then let them sit in the bags all winter, then open them in the spring on the garden. I collected at least 100 large bags of leaves. Doing that still was a lot of work, but had a great garden.
Now I just mulch up and bag my leaves, then put them on the garden. Getting older does limit things you do.

We were down in the 20’s the night before last so I brought everything inside that I could. The 10 day forecast is looking better with only one night next week in the 30’s so I might start planting this weekend.
94B7A9D4-A19F-4D51-9EDD-C0DF96966128.jpeg
10175C82-6E6E-4BBE-8320-2AAFD2ACA484.jpeg

I use to drive around the my neighborhood and pick up the bags of leaves they would put out for trash pick up. Then let them sit in the bags all winter, then open them in the spring on the garden. I collected at least 100 large bags of leaves. Doing that still was a lot of work, but had a great garden.
Now I just mulch up and bag my leaves, then put them on the garden. Getting older does limit things you do.
One can get alot of bagged leaves from others who just want to get rid of them. Unless I personally know the people I have always been leery of just what is in other people's leaves. Some people treat their lawns with all sorts of chemicals (and rocks) that I don't want in my garden. Weed and Feed comes to mind.

We built a 3 bin composter out of wood pallets, fence posts and chicken wire. Feed it with leaves and vegetable waste. When the first bin has rotted down some fork it over turning it into the second bin and start refilling the first. Keep it moist. A little watering if needs be. Once the second bin has collapsed more turn it into the third bin where you can draw finished compost. Under ideal conditions the process generates enough heat in the pile to destroy sprouting weeds.

One can get alot of bagged leaves from others who just want to get rid of them. Unless I personally know the people I have always been leery of just what is in other people's leaves. Some people treat their lawns with all sorts of chemicals (and rocks) that I don't want in my garden. Weed and Feed comes to mind.
That true, but most don't put down any late stuff till after leaves are gone. I never took any grass clippings for that reason. I always had a weed problem so if there was any in the leaves it didn't work.

Couple of years back we had an invasion of a weed which I can not recall the name of. Looked like a tall, deformed dandelion. The head turned into a puff ball of seeds like a dandelion does. The wind took them everywhere. We wound up hand pulling them on 3 acres the whole season. The next year they dropped off to nothing. Never saw them before or since. Very odd.

Couple of years back we had an invasion of a weed which I can not recall the name of. Looked like a tall, deformed dandelion. The head turned into a puff ball of seeds like a dandelion does. The wind took them everywhere. We wound up hand pulling them on 3 acres the whole season. The next year they dropped off to nothing. Never saw them before or since. Very odd.
I know what you mean about "invasive" weeds. Several years ago I got some manure from the livestock auction barns and in the spot where I spread the manure was some of the oddest weeds. The Auction barn must have gotten a bunch of cattle in from West Texas.Spiny, wicked looking things even if it does have an pretty yellow flower.Someone said it was a Buffalo Bur. I heard that's where tumble weeds come from.

Wikipedia calls it Solanum rostrum from the nightshade family.Nightshade,that's tomatoes, potatoes and peppers isn't it? One of It's names "Kansas thistle".

Got the seeds from an early maturing Cherry tomato.Been enjoying the yellow squash so much I'm almost "burned out"already.

Got the seeds from an early maturing Cherry tomato.Been enjoying the yellow squash so much I'm almost "burned out"already.
Also meant to add that I will not be showing any photos of my corn crop. Not sure what happened, I’ve had several years of great results but not this year. Had extremely poor germination, the plants are all scattered about, don’t think there will be much of a harvest.

Latest posts

Back