• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fur Trade Butcher Knives

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crockett

Cannon
Reaction score
I am looking for an image of a 1830's era butcher knife that would have been used in the West. There were several makers, I. Wilson, Sycamore Street, Sheffield, England was a major supplier. On some of the Fur Trade inventory lists there is mention of "Wilson Butcher Knives #2634" and 7" Wilson butcher knives. I am assuming these had tapered, half tangs, were about 3/32" thick, used five iron pins, and beveled grips. What I need is an exact description or image. There are images on EBay but the knives are from a later period( 1890's) :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Crockett,

I have a knife exactly as you have described and originally thought it to be from the fur trade era. However, I have been told recently that if the I.Wilson knives have the Sheffield England stamp on them that it dates them to the 1890's era. According to my source, the I. Wilson knives without the "Sheffield England" stamp or maybe with just an "England" stamp are the older knives. Something about trade requirements stipulating place of manufacture at later dates of trade. I suppose having the exact place of manufacture stamped upon the blade would date any manufacturer's blade to the latter dates using that logic.

I'm no knife expert, but would be happy to send you a digital picture of my knife as it fits the description you have listed exactly. My Wilson knife has the same profile as the modern made Russel Green River blade offered by Track of the Wolf (Part no. BLADE-BUT-07) with the exception of its having a half tang. Let me know if you'd like a picture.

Good luck!

Yes please send picture. See my profile. As I understand it, the earlier knives were all half tang so I was thinking I may get a Russel 7" butcher and modify it. The value of the photograph is for the bevels on the handle and the pin arrangement.

Minds far greater than mine have told me that the original knives just had the logo- the pepercorn and diamond, then came the name, then either Shear Steel/Cast Steel or Sycamore Street, and finally England. I am going to make an assumption(always dangerous) that the handles on the later versions were pretty much the same as on the earlier versions. Oh the pains of trying to be PC!! ::

The older knives had the small pins to hold the scales.I have an older Green River skinner that has the pins instead of the cutlers rivets.Not much of the blade is left but you can still read the name on the blade.A neat old piece of history...

Another name you might try finding is N.P. Ames. Though not well known for his butcher knives, he did supply the US with cannons. A some years back I had one of his butcher knives with a 9-10 inch blade. Sold it on Ebay for $150. The knife was pretty much untouched. It had five steel pins with maple? scales. Wish I could show you photos, but the ole lady in a fit of frustration formatted the hard drive at that time and they were lost.

just :m2c:

Crockett,

I e-mailed several photos of my I. Wilson knife to you for your reference. My photography skills are not the greatest. I also noticed that the scales are held on with six iron pins. Hopefully the photos will help you out. Let me know if you need any other info about the knife.

Back