• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Frequent Long Rifle Barrel Removal?....NO!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I keep reading why and how some folks deem it necessary to remove the barrel from their long rifle stock after shooting; i.e.: To check for rust, various methods for rust prevention, care in removing barrel pins, care of the fragile long rifle stock, etc..

I posted a comment on a YouTube video emphasizing "Safe Longrifle Barrel Removal And Maintenance". I got a kick out of the remedies to prevent rust and question the necessity to even go through this process. The comment I posted is as follows...This is only my personal experience...PLEASE, use your own judgement as to its validity:

"I began shooting flintlocks in South Texas in the 50's...an original handed down from my Grandfather to father to me. My father after WWII took the bbl off, put it upside down on newspapers and gave it a light coating of military grade cosmoline. That rifle still has the original cosmoline 70+ years later on the bottom side, no rust, no effect on the wood..that's after shooting throughout the 50's and early 60's. 32 years ago I bought a custom flinter and did the same thin cosmoline coating on the underside. Today, it is still effective. 2 years ago I bought another custom flintlock...and applied a light coat of RP-342 military grade cosmoline from Amazon... on the underside of the bbl.; needless to say, an annual removal of the bbl from the stock is not necessary. Maybe just a checkup every 5-6 years, and that is not necessary. Just a thought."

O/P here: I may be incorrect, but grease may liquify to some degree...that may? eventually effect protected/unprotected stock wood? I know my premium marine grade grease in my H/D grease gun constantly liquifies and drips from every conceivable joint when stored. Cosmoline sprays liquid and dries to the touch...even if the wood in not protected, will not effect the wood as mentioned in my post above. Military firearms packed in cosmoline for storage over many decades, never had a negative effect on the stocks/grips, or other wood parts. Other coatings like wax, shellac, etc., may require frequent inspections. Again, this is a personal opinion. Thanks

When I assemble one I use a heat gun to warm the barrel then put a coat of Linseed oil on it. I have never taken a barrel out of a full stock after assembly. If your fore stock has been properly thinned down there is too great a chance of damaging it taking it apart when there is no reason.

I keep reading why and how some folks deem it necessary to remove the barrel from their long rifle stock after shooting; i.e.: To check for rust, various methods for rust prevention, care in removing barrel pins, care of the fragile long rifle stock, etc..

I posted a comment on a YouTube video emphasizing "Safe Longrifle Barrel Removal And Maintenance". I got a kick out of the remedies to prevent rust and question the necessity to even go through this process. The comment I posted is as follows...This is only my personal experience...PLEASE, use your own judgement as to its validity:

"I began shooting flintlocks in South Texas in the 50's...an original handed down from my Grandfather to father to me. My father after WWII took the bbl off, put it upside down on newspapers and gave it a light coating of military grade cosmoline. That rifle still has the original cosmoline 70+ years later on the bottom side, no rust, no effect on the wood..that's after shooting throughout the 50's and early 60's. 32 years ago I bought a custom flinter and did the same thin cosmoline coating on the underside. Today, it is still effective. 2 years ago I bought another custom flintlock...and applied a light coat of RP-342 military grade cosmoline from Amazon... on the underside of the bbl.; needless to say, an annual removal of the bbl from the stock is not necessary. Maybe just a checkup every 5-6 years, and that is not necessary. Just a thought."
My bear grease/BW does the same , only skip the BW and make lots of donuts . I like that more !!/Ed

Wondering why anyone would be concerned if the bottom of a barrel had some rust on it..

I have one I bought in 1977, have never removed the barrel, have one I built in 1988, have never removed the barrel...Guess I need to take them out to see of there is any rust on them... :ghostly:

I use furniture wax. Rare to remove it.
Middlesex village arms made a copy, or had India make a copy of an offices fusil.
The top of the barrel was brown and aged.
They removed the barrel and found it was still blue underneath
This isn’t a commentary on Middlesex as I’ve never had any dealings with them. However I found their website ev sight enjoyable to look at and tge info on their FAQ page spot on.
So the point I’m making is on a well made gun that has seen a lack of care for some years was in very good shape where fit in to the wood.

Back