• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fowler - Top line of buttstock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrTimboone

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I am building a mid-3d qtr 18th century American fowler in the English style. 44 " barrel and Wilson Trade lock from Caywood. I am trying to make sure the top line of the butt stock points to the right altitude vis-a-vis the bore/lock. any suggestions on what the best looking and/or proper pont of intersection with the barrel/bore/lock should be?

Tim

Not sure what you're asking. There are a lot of original examples to look at in the book "Flintlock Fowlers, First Guns Made in America" By Scurlock Publishing, that may help a lot.

:v

I have the book. i just am not sure exactly what the point of intersection is. The pictures are hard to get precise lines from.

If you site along the top edge of the butt the line intersects with the bore line at some point. It is very different on rifles from different schools. So I am looking for a standard measure that someone may have come up from studying the architecture.. Anybody got a blueprint?

Earlier guns often have a noticeable drop to the wrist which I really like, and combs not standing tall. Go to Mike Brooks' site; he has it nailed.
Mike Brooks fowlers

Mike, hope you don't mind the traffic.

Anyway this architecture results in the comb line, if extended forward, coming out the top of the barrel in the area occupied by the middle to the front of the lock. If that makes sense.

That makes sense! Thanks that is the kind of guidance I am looking for....measure twice..get advice..measure again..then cut!

Generally speaking the early guns hold and shoot very well- but I always leave room to move the comb up or down so the gun lines up quickly for me or the customer. I inlet the barrel before cutting the buttstock. Then I always leave 1/4" extra top and bottom when cutting the buttstock to profile (side view). Then I do the "fore and aft" cuts to width. Then I work the wrist and comb a little before settling on final drop at comb and heel, which also depends on the "fatness" of the stock, cast-off, etc. When I get a gun that really fits me, I can just about shoot it without looking at the sights if a deer presents itself suddenly in range.

Back