• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2024/2025 Squirrel Hunting Thread...........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Absence of squirrels in neighborhood during the day very obvious. But, in my driveway I'm still seeing sign they're eating - in fact LOTS of sign all over the regular areas they sit and munch. They eat the head and the abdomen of the bug, and discard the wings. Wings laying all over the place (along with a minor amount of pecan hull fragments, so they're still digging them up, too) :

View attachment 322338

We've had bright clear nights recently; "waning gibbous" tonight. Conclusion: they're feeding in the cool of the night under the moonlight, feasting gluttonously on these crazy cicadas. Then lazily snoozing, digesting, and burping, most of the day in this 90F heat.
That's a very possible conclusion. Good on you for finding that.

Cicadas are not out here this year, if they make it at all here this year. However, the last time I was in the woods the other day I was putting the sneak on 3 squirrels at the same time. They were on the ground eating something in one smaller area. Looked like some sort of leaves or small plants but they could have been eating bugs. I never was able to see what they were eating on.

The squirrel population is strong here. Since most of the buds are over with for the year, that means the squirrels are hungry. I know they are out there somewhere and I know they must eat. Just finding them and their food source is the trick. From my findings, squirrels can now be seen just about anywhere and at about any time of the day. As you posted, perhaps even at night.

The search continues.

EDIT:

Researching the Cicadas I ran across something interesting. 2024 is suppose to be the 7 year heavy cycle for them in the mid-west. However, about as far as they are expected to travel is western KY. So, according to the map, south-central KY will not be experiencing many of them. That rules this area out.

Last edited:
We had them LTDs also... God the Memories you bring back.
Yeah, and not such good memories either. Both times one of those pulled up in my driveway with me in the back, my daddy put knots on my head faster than I could rub em.

Now those big ole LTD's were not so bad if they belonged to a gals parents and she borrowed if for the night. Like many things in life, there's good and bad. :)

Last edited:
Ed, I've read all your posts since your early spring squirrel season started.You really give it your all. Regardless of your knee or the weather, you're out there. You're not just hunting your favorite quarry, you're studying the the land, the plants, the other Critters in your territory.
You would have one of those Great Longhunters, who we only read and dream about. You would have blazed your own trail, made your path not like most folks and follow the well beaten paths.
We've all learned alot since you stated this thread. It's Squirrel Hunting, mist of the guys at just kinda blow it off. All of get something out of it and it's a He!! Of a lot more than just hunting. After sitting think about all this, this came to my mind.
A qoute from Benjamin Franklin:

"If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead and rotten, either write things reading, or do things worth the writing."

I'd say you have done both.

Take Care Stay Safe.

Thank you.
I appreciate the kind words but I'm beginning to think that its actually some sort of mental disorder. I mean, as many times as my wife has told me so, as well as the looks I get from many folks whenever I "Try" to explain this, I just about have to believe its true.

Either way, I do not claim to be the quintessential squirrel hunter, and I could have never made a pimple on old Davy Crockett's hind end, but I have fun doing what I do.

Last edited:
I appreciate the kind words but I'm beginning to think that its actually some sort of mental disorder. I mean, as many times as my wife has told me so, as well as the looks I get from many folks whenever I "Try" to explain this, I just about have to believe its true.

Either way, I do not claim to be the quintessential squirrel hunter, and I could have never made a pimple on old Davie Crocketts hind end, but have fun doing what I do.
It's not a Mental Disorder, it's Genetic Traits passed on from Kin Folks of Past.

We're all what we are, and chances are we made ourselves. I do believe most of us on this Forum would have been way more than what we think, or give ourselves credit for. Had we been born back in those days.

....it's Genetic Traits passed on from Kin Folks of Past...

Yep.

Tail.jpg

We usually started back around mid August. So I had a couple of weeks to be feral before I had to start wearing shoes and combing my hair again. Seems like forever ago. Different times for sure. Where we lived then was semi rural. Nobody blinked an eye seeing kids walking down the road with a cased long gun. Now and days swat team would probably show up and you'd be put on a no fly list.
True

This morning I finally figured out what at least 3 squirrels are eating on right now. Two were digging around under a bur oak and finding old acorns from last fall. Another one found an old hickory nut that it was not interested in dropping, even after it had seen me. It ran up the hickory and parked on a limb while hanging onto that hickory nut. No need in doing an exam of the stomachs on those squirrels because I watched them eating and/or digging for the nuts.

Three more for the smoker.😁

Attachments

• IMG_2180.jpeg
    IMG_2180.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
It's not a Mental Disorder, it's Genetic Traits passed on from Kin Folks of Past.

We're all what we are, and chances are we made ourselves. I do believe most of us on this Forum would have been way more than what we think, or give ourselves credit for. Had we been born back in those days.
Agreed.

Either way, I do not claim to be the quintessential squirrel hunter, and I could have never made a pimple on old Davy Crockett's hind end, but I have fun doing what I do.
There isn't anything wrong with doing, and being exited about something you enjoy. Pretty normal actually. Have a conversation with a car guy.

Fella's, there's been a definite shift in squirrel behavior/actions since the buds have leaved out. Been out several times now during early morning and haven't seen the first squirrel until about 0800 hrs. Most of the time later than that. The earliest was last Tuesday one crossed the road in front of me when I was just about to my happy hunting grounds at 0750 hours. The average has been about 0830 to 0930 hours before I even could find a squirrel in the woods. Also, I have found that squirrels can be seen late morning to noon. I haven't been out much later than 1330 hours due to running out of steam. By that time, I'm wearing down and its getting hot out so I'm done for the day. Hopefully I can get my body built back up as the summer progresses and I can remain out longer.

Also, squirrels are mostly found on the ground more now while they are in search of food. As thick as the ground foliage is in most places I hunt, this adds an additional element of frustration. The darn squirrels can be very close to me and I either don't see them until its too late and they see me first, or I cannot see them well enough to get a clear shot at them. With all the rain we've been having lately, as well as high humidity, the ground leaves are in case so there is little to no chance of hearing a nearby squirrel on the ground. A few days ago I had two squirrels chase each other close by me and I didn't hear the first sound.

Indeed, a definite shift in squirrel behavior and actions. Spring squirrel season this year is completely opposite from last year, in terms of foliage and weather conditions. Also, in the amount of insects out. Spiderwebs are already strung across and between saplings.

For a brief moment last Tuesday while I was out hunting I caught myself wishing it were already fall during squirrel stupid season. No doubt due to the lack of squirrel activity. Love the fall season when squirrels pop out of their den trees and are on the go up in the trees after nuts right at daylight. Miss the high action of putting the sneak on a group of squirrels up in hickory trees, then slowly picking off 2-3 of them from the same tree(s). That's where its at for this ole boy.

Until then, this ole boy will be keeping on keeping on. Considering the early seasonal aspects of this year, there's no telling when the squirrels will be doing their mating/chasing thing. Last spring season it was a few days before season closed in the third week of June. The only way to find out this year is to be out there as often as possible.

Last edited:
Darn it all. True to its being, Kentucky is all or nothing. We've been basically in a drought for the last 1.5 years at least and remained that way up until a couple of weeks ago. Now, its been raining every day and/or night. Oh well, its suppose to move out of here by 0900 hours and that's when the squirrels have been moving anyway. However, it will be another wet one in the woods with all the rain in the trees and on the foliage.

Since I have time now, I thought it would be a good idea if I post a couple of recently learned things about my squirrel rifle, for all of you Crockett owners out there. I have went from using 20 grains of 3F GOEX to 15 grains of 3F Swiss. I'm finding the bore does not need to be wiped between shots near as much. Accuracy is there with less report on the shot, which is a big one for this ole boy. The less noise the better for squirrel hunting.

Also, I have went to a .018 shooting patch from .015. I'm finding it is still easy to load, I shot and reloaded 3 times without much resistance, and my longer distance groups have become smaller and more uniform. I'm sticking with swaged .310 Hornady RB.

Lastly, and this is no fault of my setup, I've been experiencing a decrease in vision lately, for whatever reason. At first I thought it was from pollen and dry, itchy eyes, but that is not the case. Whatever it is, it is substantial. I have an eye doctor appointment in about a month so I'm hoping for the best. With that said, as well as for another reason, I have had to change the rear sight on my squirrel rifle. I have installed an blade type sight that came as an extra with my GPR. It is not adjustable but it is high profile, so the elevation just happened to be perfect for the taller front bead I installed over the winter.

Time will tell if I will be able to see through that any better during poor light conditions in the woods. So far, so good. Yesterday it wasn't near as dark and cloudy as it often is in the woods. So I could see both sights and the squirrels at the same time.

Attachments

• IMG_2182.jpeg
    IMG_2182.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
At least you’re hunting Ed. All I can do is wait for fall!

Now that I’m done turkey hunting, it’s time to get back to building my flintlock.
True, but you've done a lot of hunting this spring already chasing long beards, and you were successful to boot. I hope your flintlock turns out nice for you. It sounds as if you are building the perfect squirrel rifle.

I'm still trying to find a longer barreled, SMR for squirrel hunting but it would have to be percussion. Not an easy task finding or piecing together something like that. The cost of an older one that has not been made for many years, especially if it were built by someone that's not even alive today, is way too high. Considering that it will be a hard working, often used rifle, a new one would be best. Either way, if I have it my way, it will be getting one heck of a workout. Battle scars will be the norm. My Crockett plainly shows that.

Last edited:
I'm still trying to find a longer barreled, SMR for squirrel hunting but it would have to be percussion.

Same here; I want a slender non-swamped .36 or .40, caplock. I may build a 13/16 .36 Vincent from Pecatonica, maybe, I dunno.

I'll be visiting Dixie Gun Works soon; may look some of their small bore stuff before I jump one way or another.

I wish I could look at one of those Pedersoli Frontiers. LG Outdoors in Wetumpka, AL has several caplock .36's and .32's in stock. Perdersoli doesn't show any details of these on their web site, so they may be special runs. Only thing is, LG WILL NOT let me look at one before purchasing even though I just live up the road from the store - internet only - they're aholes on the phone when you ask about it, too. And they are NOT a satisfaction guaranteed store - LG will not accept returns on bp rifles.

Last edited:
Same here; I want a slender non-swamped .36 or .40, caplock. I may build a 13/16 .36 Vincent from Pecatonica, maybe, I dunno.

I'll be visiting Dixie Gun Works soon; may look some of their small bore stuff before I jump one way or another.

I wish I could look at one of those Pedersoli Fontiers. LG Outdoors in Wetumpka, AL has several caplock .36's and .32's in stock. Perdersoli doesn't show any details of these on their web site, so they may be special runs. Only thing is, LG WILL NOT let me look at one before purchasing even though I just live up the road from the store - internet only - they're aholes on the phone when you ask about it, too. And they are NOT a satisfaction guaranteed store - LG will not accept returns on bp rifles.
Poor way to do business for sure.

I really like my 40 caliber Kibler SMR. I found it for sale here on this site within driving distance for the cost of a kit. I wouldn't discount it for being a flintlock. Plenty fast enough for squirrels.

Then again, I'm 0 for 0 with it. Not the gun's fault. I can't go to the woods without my dog. He absolutely loves squirrel hunting, but the squirrels hide out when he's with me. He's 11 years old and we've only managed to kill about a dozen squirrels. That's been with unmentionables.

Back