• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Is there a lube for shooting conicals?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought SPG for my BPCR and the end of the barrel fouled so bad a damp patch wou;d not go through. I put it on my table at a shoot hoping to sell it, no takers so I put a free sign on it. I wound up bringing it home.
And I shot my way in to master class BPCRS using only SPG through the years.

Opinions sure do vary

Started with T/C Bore Butter years ago. Then thought, why the heck am I paying so much? Anything you can buy called "bullet lube" is gonna be outrageously priced. So ever since, I've made mine from natural products on hand -- beef fat, pig fat, etc, sometimes hardened with beeswax. I've also used the soft, lard-like fat found on a deer's hind quarters, which after rendering sets up kind of hard. In warm weather it does ok but probably should be softened for colder weather.

Performance: my guns always clean up very easily. Generally have no problems with rust. As long as the lube is not too hard in cold weather, I don't really have fouling issues, either. Can't speak to differences in accuracy, since all my ranges are 100 yrds or less. Inside of that distance, I feel like it's all about the same.

(Also, I just use water to clean. No solvents)

Back