• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

FOUND POWDER AT A LOCAL GUNSHOW

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Dudley

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hello all, I found a pond of American Pioneer powder at a local gun show, price was 20.00 so I thought I's take a chance on it. Anybody have any experience with this powder?
Thanks

Don't believe its real black, maybe a substitute? No experience with it. I only use Pyrodex, Tripple & and what I have left of Black MX (my favorite by far, I wish I had bought 25-30 lbs when it was $9.95 at Sportsmans Warehouse). Triple 7 is my current favorite if I use a sub. I got bit by the bug though and got an online order a year or two back. Can't beat real after all??

Not trying to 'harsh yer buzz' as they used to say in the '60's but, if you was nearby I'd give you most of a pound. Loaded some for my Buffalo Classic(it was like loading kitty litter) & went to the range to try it out. By the third shot of a five shot group the first cases were turning green as grass. I'll stick with my Pyrodex and Triple 7.

Thanks, pic attached.

Attachments

• AMERICAN PIONEER POWDER.jpg
    AMERICAN PIONEER POWDER.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
It's a substitute. I tried it years ago in a flint gun and was a frustrating experience. It did work in a percussion rifle, but seemed a little anemic. Gave 3/4 of the pound away to a boy scout camp.

I have 3 partially used cans of it. I used it for 20 years in various cap gun styles and it was either fantastic or frustrating as heck. If there was any sort of dampness in the air it wasn't reliable. If it was dry and sunny it would go bang instantly and was impressive.

I have 3 partially used cans of it. I used it for 20 years in various cap gun styles and it was either fantastic or frustrating as heck. If there was any sort of dampness in the air it wasn't reliable. If it was dry and sunny it would go bang instantly and was impressive.
Moisture in the air is almost non existent here, so it should do fine. Thanks

Back