• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Found real GOEX locally.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Acohill1

72 cal
Reaction score
Found some ral GOEX powder at a small local gun dealer. When I went to check out with pyrodex he asked if I would like real BP Instead. OfC I said yes... he ended up having an open container of GOEX with 10oz of powder in it I paid him 29.99 for it. I figure with the rarity and no haz-mat charge or shipping I made out okay right?!

Attachments

• 17057673671608261906737285645257.jpg
    17057673671608261906737285645257.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 5
I order it in 10lb or 20lb cases from Buffalo arms. Ends up being $26 or so per lb with shipping and hazmat. I normally sell a few pounds to friends to recoup some of my costs. If you can afford a $250 hit to order it in bulk it’s way cheaper. It doesn’t go bad. Order once and be good for years.
Yeah I'll have to do that soon. I'm just happy to have found some locally so I can get shooting.

Yeah I'll have to do that soon. I'm just happy to have found some locally so I can get shooting.
I use a LOT of powder. Between muzzleloaders and black powder cartridges I’ll use a pound in a day shooting and loading. For 90% of shooters Blackpowder will never be available again locally. Ordering it online is the only way to get it. I’ll use some triple 7 sometimes in some cartridges but I mostly use BP. Blackpowder is substantially cheaper than triple 7 when ordering in bulk.

@Acohill1, if all you needed was a pound because you don't have a need for more, you did okay. We want to hear that you use that 10 ounces up quickly and you see the need to buy at least 10 lbs. Then you can wait for the free shipping and no-charge haz-mat fee. It does happen.

@Acohill1, if all you needed was a pound because you don't have a need for more, you did okay. We want to hear that you use that 10 ounces up quickly and you see the need to buy at least 10 lbs. Then you can wait for the free shipping and no-charge haz-mat fee. It does happen.
I shoot trap once a month and otherwise hike, hunt, and goto the range enough that a shoot a bunch. I'm new to BP tho I plan to run thru a few ounces as soon as the trap range opens back up from the cold... I've been struggling to think of a place other than backcountry that I can pattern my shotgun. There's a nmlra club near me that meets once a month might check them out aswell...... next step is a 50lb bag o shot

I shoot trap once a month and otherwise hike, hunt, and goto the range enough that a shoot a bunch. I'm new to BP tho I plan to run thru a few ounces as soon as the trap range opens back up from the cold... I've been struggling to think of a place other than backcountry that I can pattern my shotgun. There's a nmlra club near me that meets once a month might check them out aswell...... next step is a 50lb bag o shot
Looked to me as if you were planning on getting 50 pounds of shot.

So, if you are shooting 80 grains of powder, that 10 ounces of 2F will come out to about 55 loads. 55 loads of one ounce of shot will consume 3.42 pounds of shot. You will need more powder.

Found some ral GOEX powder at a small local gun dealer. When I went to check out with pyrodex he asked if I would like real BP Instead. OfC I said yes... he ended up having an open container of GOEX with 10oz of powder in it I paid him 29.99 for it. I figure with the rarity and no haz-mat charge or shipping I made out okay right?!
Howdy from Henry County. Ignore these guys. Don't know if it's the weather or what but they're all crabby this weekend. Grats on the real stuff score but with an open can some precautions should be taken but I suspect you know that.

Howdy from Henry County. Ignore these guys. Don't know if it's the weather or what but they're all crabby this weekend. Grats on the real stuff score but with an open can some precautions should be taken but I suspect you know that.
Yeah I kinda thought about that... I trust that it's legit and I have delt with the guy I got it from a few times in the past... i suppose I will burn some and make sure b4 hand I should just be able to tell by smell right?
Looked to me as if you were planning on getting 50 pounds of shot.

So, if you are shooting 80 grains of powder, that 10 ounces of 2F will come out to about 55 loads. 55 loads of one ounce of shot will consume 3.42 pounds of shot. You will need more powder.
Yeah I know hopefully I can manage to get the funds together for both the shot and the powder.... both might be wishful thinking for the few months tho.

Yeah I kinda thought about that... I trust that it's legit and I have delt with the guy I got it from a few times in the past... i suppose I will burn some and make sure b4 hand I should just be able to tell by smell right?
Sight is a big one. My late uncle and I got ahold of a batch of stuff from an estate sale eons ago and one of the cans had been laced with a flake shotgun or pistol powder of some sort. If I wasn't always erring on the side of caution, he probably wouldn't have caught it before disaster struck. Never know what other folks have been up too with stuff before we get ahold of it.

Where is anyone being crabby in this discussion? I see some good natured ribbing going on over an errant 0.

Sight is a big one. My late uncle and I got ahold of a batch of stuff from an estate sale eons ago and one of the cans had been laced with a flake shotgun or pistol powder of some sort. If I wasn't always erring on the side of caution, he probably wouldn't have caught it before disaster struck. Never know what other folks have been up too with stuff before we get ahold of it.
Oh it's definitely not the newer flaky stuff. I made sure to pour it all out and take a good look at it when i got it..

Ohhhh lol I was like What? did I do?!?!
Hang in there friend, a slight miswording or misunderstanding and things go off the rails fast on this forum. We all get our turn at a good hearted ribbing and a total beat down.

Back