• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Found OLD GUN need to identify

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bullmoose

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Old house being refurbished, and this gun was in there being thrown away. says "FIREARMS WASHINGTON DC" and it is fowler type and needs help to clean up and about a 4-10 size barrel. and missing some of the stock and hardware. Lock still works and lots of rust.
I tried to find the maker online but no go. Anyone heard of this "Firearms"

If you could post a photo those in the know will probably be able to help you. :thumbsup:

There's probably a name in front of the word "firearms" which may not be visible with all the rust. As suggested, a photo would help a lot.

powderburner said:
There's probably a name in front of the word "firearms" which may not be visible with all the rust. As suggested, a photo would help a lot.

And more than one. The more, the merrier. :wink:

It's most likely one of the guns used to run the politicians out of DC some time back :rotf: :rotf: :blah:

Why not see if you can get it in working order, we may need it again soon.

rabbit03

If it is one of those guns, I bet that aint rust brown on the end.

"Firearms International" was once located in Washington, DC. Then they relocated to Florida (?) before going belly-up, IIRC.

Believe they bought in things from Spain & Italy,

Russian Bullmoose Man:
Aside from the gun being rusty and having some parts missing, does it seem to be fairly recently made or does it appear to be very old?

You might also try looking at the rear of the barrel to see if there are any little marks like shields, crowns, letters etc stamped there.
If there are, these would be the guns proof marks and they could help us to figure out what you have.

Of course, a picture of it would help a great deal but I understand if you don't have a digital camera. If you do have a digital camera it is fairly easy to post a picture in this post. Let us know.
zonie

gun.jpg
No it is not a "OLD GUN" but some type of repro
gun1.jpg

gun4.jpg

Well I just got through cleaning it up. I think it is still shootable too. Barrel says FIREARMS CORP. WASHINGTON DC
and after much cleaning around the nipple, it says made in Brazil? Does anyone know anything about this repro?
Looks like a old 1960's-70's repro

Brazil makes ML smoothies to trade to the indigenous natives in the rainforest for hunting. They don't want the Indians armed with modern guns. This may be one of those.

Or, its a wall hanger. Further inspection is needed, as in take the barrel out of the stock, inspect it all over for any kind of proof marks, or evidence of how the barrel is actually made.

WOW~~!!! just give the old guns to the indians, Sound familar as to America did 150 years ago

I saw a program on National Geographic about hunting with the rainforest tribes, and some of the men had ML shotguns that looked pretty homegrown. What made me think of them was that ridiculous patch box on your gun. The one in the film also had that kind of patchbox, and the stock on the gun was rather " clunky " as yours seems to be. Since the only animals large enough to hunt are the pig-like " tapir" and monkeys, More modern firearms are probably not needed. Most of the hunters were using either blow guns, or stick bows.

Yeah, those things were sold for $14.95 back in the 1960-75 era. I used one as a display piece at trade fairs, something I could leave in the tipi and not worry if someone walked off with it, but no one ever did. I fired quite a few blank loads from it and it fired every time and sure was LOUD.

It's a Brazilian trade musket. I had one in the late 60's, I think I paid $15.00 for it, new. It takes a patched 45 caliber round ball, very loosely as I recall.

I shot it about 20 times, when the nipple cracked, the top half fell off, and the bottm half remained stuck permanently in the hole.

I eventually sold it at a yard sale for 20 dollars.

Now that I am older (not necessarily wiser) I look back and thank my lucky stars that it didn't blow up in my face.

Latest posts

Back