• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Sears/Zoli Zouave M1863 clone rebuild/restore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, I picked up a "crime gun" parts kit from a well known online parts kit vendor about a year, year and a half ago. And for dirt ass cheap I might add! Since it was a crime gun, the vendor is required to "de-mil" the firearm. Which on a front stuffer the typical "de-mil" procedure is to cut the breech off the barrel and discard.
So, I got this "grail" gun of mine for a really good price and naturally, needed a barrel. Throughout the next few months I slowly disassembled the parts on the stock and the lock. I cleaned, polished, and function tested all the other parts while I searched for a barrel. I had bought a Lyman GPR used at a pawn shop and the barrel was ATROCIOUS. So, I stayed away from considering used barrels, and BOY DID I HAVE TO WAIT to find a new barrel that would work for the stock cutout the Sears/Zoli lock. After about 8 months of searching I finally found one at DGW. Albeit, almost 3 times the amount I paid for the kit, I bought that son of a gun. Especially after it being OOS for quite some time. Fast forward a few weeks and it shows up on my doorstep. It was gorgeous! Nice solid bluing, crisp, sharp rifling. And the fitment to the lock and stock were impeccable! Only hiccup was the rear sight block needed some fitting to the new barrel. See, the barrel I I got was compatible with a few models within the years 1861-1864. And the rear sight base screw hole was off an 1/8th of an inch. No biggie. I took my time and spent a handful of hours fitting and surface refinishing the repro sight base and blades that come on a 1970's budget 58 cal musket. I found the threads for a chaippa repro barrel for the Zoli Zouave/m1863 Springfield is m4x7.0 I'll post some pics after I refinish the stock. Just wanted to share my project thus far.

Back