• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

WITHDRAWN Maynard Model 2

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
EDIT TO ADD:
"I am withdrawing this for a couple of weeks.
I have some extras on the way for it and once I have them, have fired this carbine and taken better pictures I will be relisting this again."

For your consideration 1 Maynard model 2 carbine. Serial number 8XXX. While I can not say for certain this rifle saw action in the war between states/war of northern aggression, its' serial number range makes it likely it was used.

$1900, I will cover the shipping and insurance. I am selling it for my mother in law and will remain firm on this price. I can take Venmo, Cash App, and Money Order. Local pick up possible for anyone who wants to come out to Chattaroy Washington.

I am simply stunned how solid and serviceable this piece of history is at this time. It locks up tight, the lock is strong and tight, the trigger has no play. Half cock and cock positions are functional.

All that is needed is to pull the nipple (a task I am not confident I can do without bungling the job) and clean it and the fire channel. With some Maynard carbine ammo on hand and a few minutes of clearing the nipple and fire channel of years of schmutz this thing will fire as is. I am sure of it completely.

The sight only has the long range leaf left (finding an original replacement part could be done easy, I found a couple on line) and the saddle ring is gone. And that is also a part that can be had that is original. Both are not impediments to getting it to the range and firing again.
There is some pitting in the barrel, but not too bad for a gun that is 160ish years old. I will try and get some bore pictures and post them later on.

The Maynard Carbine is a historic rifle that straddles the era of black powder and modern cartridge firearms.

PXL_20231227_155900959.jpg
PXL_20231227_155916544.jpg
PXL_20231227_155935854.jpg
PXL_20231227_155946335.jpg
PXL_20231227_160000323.jpg
PXL_20231227_160018954.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20231227_160042028.jpg
    PXL_20231227_160042028.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20231227_160133017.jpg
    PXL_20231227_160133017.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
BEFORE we get complaints, it's a breech loader made in or before 1865, not a prototype, and is fired with an external cap, from a nipple not in line with the bore, so meets the guidelines of the forum. 👍

LD
Help me out, here. It is a breechloader with a metallic cartridge but a percussion cap fires it. How does it do that? Not here to argue, just trying to understand.

Help me out, here. It is a breechloader with a metallic cartridge but a percussion cap fires it. How does it do that? Not here to argue, just trying to understand.
the cartridges have a tiny hole in the back that marries up to the fire channel leading from the nipple

It was a revolutionary firearm when it was introduced and very well received by the limited number of rebel soldiers who were issued them.

If you think this one is cool, you should look up the Maynard Tape Fired Carbine which is the first version of this type of rifle. The type 2 (which this one is) is much easier to find than the type 1 tape fired version.

Stick around these forums and you will learn all sorts of interesting firearms facts from the olden days.

the cartridges have a tiny hole in the back that marries up to the fire channel leading from the nipple

It was a revolutionary firearm when it was introduced and very well received by the limited number of rebel soldiers who were issued them.

If you think this one is cool, you should look up the Maynard Tape Fired Carbine which is the first version of this type of rifle. The type 2 (which this one is) is much easier to find than the type 1 tape fired version.

Stick around these forums and you will learn all sorts of interesting firearms facts from the olden days.
So the fire goes through where primers will be later.

I love it here! Fascinating weapons. Com-patriot people.

My Swiss-Jaeger should be here tomorrow night. Might have been used in our American revolution. We were holding back on the shipping until Christmas shipping insanity done.

Hoping to be shooting it this Saturday.

"But...but it's your mother!"

Worth a try.... Keeping it in the family and all!
mother in law, but I call her mom, she earned it

Keeping it in the family means when I pass away it likely sits in a safe until my other half passes or goes to the old folks home and it will fall to someone with no clue what they are looking at deciding it is a terrible abomination weapon from the dark ages....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back