• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlock flinching

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I reckon we've all done that, especially before we learned not to. I learned decades ago, and my method is what I thought about before each shot. My question is for anyone who wouldn't mind revealing how they mastered the 'no flinch.' My method was/is a bit different from what experienced and great shooters do. I've heard it taught that we should learn to ignore the pan flash. I suppose that works very well after much practice. Quality, fast locks like Siler and Kibler lessen the need to deal with a delay, I know, but we can't always tell what might slow the process. Dull flint, flint not aligned, dirty flash hole.
Decades ago I flinched. So I practiced with a wooden flints. When I got to the point my sight picture didn't change while 'firing,' I started priming the pan and firing without a loaded gun. After mastering that (ignoring the flash,) I was good to go.
But now at advanced age, and shooting less often, my method is a tad different. Now, when aiming, even with a very fast lock, I've taught myself to EXPECT the flash, to know that the flash is all important and that once that occurs, it is over; that the gun will fire on it's own and that my sight alignment won't change. Mental procedures are incredibly difficult to explain, and I've not really said what my mindset is at that critical instant, but it works for me. I've said all that to ask, HOW DID OR DO YOU OVERCOME FLINCHING, before or during the firing process. This is likely the longest thread opening question ever asked.
Just keep shooting until you get it in your head that it's just gonna go boom and that's all. If you are 100% focused on that clear tip of the front sight as you should be you wont even know when the cock falls. If your recoil sensitive it might take a couple more shots.

When you are able to see exactly where the front sight is when your rifle fires...you will just feel it, and know where the ball went before the smoke clears.

Anytime I can't "call the shot" I know it's because I had both eyes shut and my head out of the way.
Flinching seems to run in cycles too... One day, so calm and collected, and the next day not so much.

Dry firing is a waste of time for me because I know what's going on.

What does work is to take a full bag of balls and shoot until the flint gets so dull that my rifle stops firing,... then I begin to learn things about my follow-through.

I am a south paw, i don't see the flash at all. I have & shoot 2 RH flintlocks. That's the way it should be built. RH people need the lock on the left side & no see flash cause that eye is closed.

Last edited:
Same methods as yo
I reckon we've all done that, especially before we learned not to. I learned decades ago, and my method is what I thought about before each shot. My question is for anyone who wouldn't mind revealing how they mastered the 'no flinch.' My method was/is a bit different from what experienced and great shooters do. I've heard it taught that we should learn to ignore the pan flash. I suppose that works very well after much practice. Quality, fast locks like Siler and Kibler lessen the need to deal with a delay, I know, but we can't always tell what might slow the process. Dull flint, flint not aligned, dirty flash hole.
Decades ago I flinched. So I practiced with a wooden flints. When I got to the point my sight picture didn't change while 'firing,' I started priming the pan and firing without a loaded gun. After mastering that (ignoring the flash,) I was good to go.
But now at advanced age, and shooting less often, my method is a tad different. Now, when aiming, even with a very fast lock, I've taught myself to EXPECT the flash, to know that the flash is all important and that once that occurs, it is over; that the gun will fire on it's own and that my sight alignment won't change. Mental procedures are incredibly difficult to explain, and I've not really said what my mindset is at that critical instant, but it works for me. I've said all that to ask, HOW DID OR DO YOU OVERCOME FLINCHING, before or during the firing process. This is likely the longest thread opening question ever asked.
Same methods as you but .... There is a lot of action there at the lock.so the more practice the better whether dry fire or real firing , the more the better. Funny thing .... Ive been building and shooting flinch locks for decades but after a long lapse of time in shooting I'll catch myself flinching first few shots , its crazy but true .... What I have to put back in my noodle is " that d@mn front sight ! Hold it on target and look only at it !" .... Once I get that back in the noodle and shoot Ye Ole Trade Gun a couple / few times .... I'm back in flinch lock mode and won't flinch anymore , the action and little explosion / flash won't bother me again . .... Its weird but true ... .

Back